Ethanol Question (1 Viewer)

ChicShit

HSC
A question in my assesment says:

Outline the current and potential future uses of ethanol as a fuel, by reference to its combustibility, its enthalpy of combustion and its avaliability compared to other alcohols.

If Im outlining its potential, I would only refer to combustion, enthalpy and avaliability, wouldnt I?. Should I mention the Carbon Monoxide the other carbon compounds generate due to incomplete burning, and how ethanol is cleaner?

Im sorry If I'm not making sense

BrotherBread

HSC
For a band six response you would mention carbon compounds, they are relevant specifically to the combustion process which you are asked to outline. So yeah mention it. But don't forget you have to answer the question by comparing it with another alcohol.

ChicShit

HSC
Thanks!
, yeah I compared it to the other three. Just briefly though, as afterall it does say outline
:)

cuppy

HSC
N/A
The Success One Chemistry book has some good responses to that question so its worth a look. Keep in mind to address the verb at the beginning of the question if it appears in the exam. They can be quite sneaky and ask you to analyse or evaluate if they decide to combine that dot point with another.

IMTB

HSC
Is ethanol more volatile or octane? Does it have higher or lower ignition temperature and flash point?
Cheers

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
being a science student, i am not a fan of wiki... but in this case, it is usually the easiest zero cost thing you can use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane

ethanol flash point: 286.15 K (13 °C or 55.4 °F)
octane flash point: 13 °C
octane Autoignition temperature 220 °C

as for volatility, from experience, ethanol is ALOT more volatile than octane...

and on the success one point - most answers it provides are quite ... to the point... but most of them are far from band 6 answers imo... it is good in terms of getting student the hang of answering questions through verbs, other than that, it's quite incompetent...

also, it has some errors as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)