Simorgh

HSC
Iceland hands down lel.

Wales are my 2nd preference.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I have only watched a couple of games and seen most of the highlights, got to admit the format of having 24 teams has been a winner. Previous versions had 16 teams.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Still can't get my mind over a population of 330,000 can knock over the mighty England. (apparently only 100 professional football players) Goes to show that determination can go a long way.

enoilgam

HSC
I think the surprise regarding Iceland is a little overstated. I mean, they are ranked 34th in the world and midway through last year they were around 25th. They also came close to qualifying for the 2014 World Cup and beat Holland twice in the Euro qualifiers. In their games so far they have definitely looked like a solid side and I think they outplayed England. I reckon reaching the QFs isnt really an over achievement, reaching any further would be though because I dont think they are close to Italy, Germany, France or Belgium.

A good achievement nonetheless for a country with 350,000 people and a co-head coach who moonlights as the town dentist (versus Roy Hodgson and his $4.5 million salary).

Simorgh

HSC
At least England are the only county to exit Europe twice in a week.

Funny how their Prime Minister resigned and the coach also stepped down straight after both their losses.

Bad times.

Simorgh

HSC
I think the surprise regarding Iceland is a little overstated. I mean, they are ranked 34th in the world and midway through last year they were around 25th. They also came close to qualifying for the 2014 World Cup and beat Holland twice in the Euro qualifiers. In their games so far they have definitely looked like a solid side and I think they outplayed England. I reckon reaching the QFs isnt really an over achievement, reaching any further would be though because I dont think they are close to Italy, Germany, France or Belgium.

A good achievement nonetheless for a country with 350,000 people and a co-head coach who moonlights as the town dentist (versus Roy Hodgson and his $4.5 million salary).
I watched that game, England were pretty disappointing. They should have started with Vardy and their usual starters instead of changing their playing order every time.

Besides that Iceland were top class, was my first time watching them play and they were superb.

enoilgam

HSC
I watched that game, England were pretty disappointing. They should have started with Vardy and their usual starters instead of changing their playing order every time.
It's the same issue every time, they just arent much of a team in that they lack cohesion, a style of play and an identity. Hence why I think they dont reach the success of Italy, Germany, Holland, France, Spain etc.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Since 1966 World Cup when England beat Germany.

Interesting little stat, England have won 6 knock out matches in major tournaments, Germany have won 6 tournaments.

Simorgh

HSC
24 teams is a terrible idea

bring it back to 16
No. Its better with 24 there, even though the Group Stages seemed ages to get through. I especially loved the large variation of different teams across the continent, we had interesting teams like Iceland, Wales and Albania being given the opportunity to perform on the big stage.

enoilgam

HSC
No. Its better with 24 there, even though the Group Stages seemed ages to get through. I especially loved the large variation of different teams across the continent, we had interesting teams like Iceland, Wales and Albania being given the opportunity to perform on the big stage.
I think it was a good move as well, the tournament so far has been competitive and you could argue even moreso than the WC.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I reckon the World Cup should be expanded to 40 teams as well.

Euro 2020 will be 24 teams but the format will be slightly different, with it being a celebration of an anniversary. (think 13 European cities will host matches)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)