Euthanasia (1 Viewer)

Should euthanasia be legalised in Australia?

• No it shouldn't

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Yes it should

Votes: 42 70.0%

• Total voters

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Ok we've had one about the death penalty, so what about Euthanasia.
(ps. there are bound to be differing views. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so if someone posts something you don't agree with don't have a go at them just let people have their own opinion)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
euthanasia is a borderline issue ... but im against it ... but not agressively against it ... life is too precious to just end ... even if you cancer, in pain or are sick of life ...

Dahvood

euthinasia, i believe, should be introduced but restricted to people with certain conditions, or conditions that have advanced to a certain degree.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
well I think if someone is genuinly in pain, and life is excruciating for them, and it is only a matter of time, than they should have to right to be able to end it
But thats just my opinion.

Dahvood

Originally posted by ~ForAGoodCause~
yeh i think it really depends on the situation

i think if the person is in very serious pain, and there is no way that they are gonna get better, then they can have the choice weather they want to live or die
Its basically about the quality of thier life isn't it?

Alot of suicides take place because the person feels like the quality of thier life is such that they don't believe it worth the effort, or don't see how it can be fixed. This is depression, I guess

so whats the distinction between euthanasia and suicide then? (apart from the obvious thing - being assisted by medica staff, or whatever)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
i think the destiny of one's life should be up to them
if they are in that much pain they should have the right to end their life
if someone knows they have a certain amount of time to live, and they cannot get better then they should be able to take their own life
i hate to see people in pain and i think that euthansia is a fair way if thats what they want to do

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dahvood

Its basically about the quality of thier life isn't it?

Alot of suicides take place because the person feels like the quality of thier life is such that they don't believe it worth the effort, or don't see how it can be fixed. This is depression, I guess

so whats the distinction between euthanasia and suicide then? (apart from the obvious thing - being assisted by medica staff, or whatever)
i dont think there is a different ... but that right now euthanasia is illegal ... while suicide is legal ... i think ...

GJ_JOE

blood brother
i don't think suicide is legal but i think they'd put you in a mental hospital if you tried it and survived

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

i dont think there is a different ... but that right now euthanasia is illegal ... while suicide is legal ... i think ...
hmm i think suicide is illegal (unsure here), but they're not going to do much to you if you manage to top yourself.

on the issue of euthanasia: definitely pro-choice. sure, alot of counselling and consideration should be done first, cos a life is a terrible thing to waste. but in the end, it's up to the sufferer - wether they want to go on or not.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by GJ_JOE
i don't think suicide is legal but i think they'd put you in a mental hospital if you tried it and survived
isnt suicide legal ...

youd be pretty hopeless if you tried and failed ... unless it was deliberate ...

Dahvood

Originally posted by GJ_JOE
i think you're right there... you wouldn't get a jail term unless you did it in a way that harmed other people, but i do think its illegal

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i guess whether or its legal is of little importance .. how are they going to punish you for breaking the law ...

Dahvood

i guess whether or its legal is of little importance .. how are they going to punish you for breaking the law ...
depends on how they class it. if suicide is counted as a murder, then failing would be an attempted murder. if its counted as manslaughter, then... i'm unsure, because manslaughter is used when its accidental anyway, isn't it?

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Im for euthanasisa. But yeah it would have to have conditions with it.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dahvood

depends on how they class it. if suicide is counted as a murder, then failing would be an attempted murder. if its counted as manslaughter, then... i'm unsure, because manslaughter is used when its accidental anyway, isn't it?
i dunno ...

but if you were to commit suicide i dont think you would fail ...

anyway ... they would just put you in an institute anyway ...

jessika

law chicky
HSC

isnt suicide legal ...

youd be pretty hopeless if you tried and failed ... unless it was deliberate ...
nah not really, someone walks in on you and stops you, or you dont take enough sleeping pills or whatever.

they give you counselling or something if you try too, and your in some mental ward at hospital.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Suicide is illegal.
The only form of murder you can't be can be convicted for.

Ive discussed this with people before. If you commit suicide, legally speaking you are committing a crime. Obviously if you are successful you can't be tried, and if you aren't successful, well you can't be tried either because you didn't commit the crime.

Rosie

I'm against euthanasia for the simple reason that i believe it is playing God. The person that is sick is probably not even in the right state of mind to decide anything anyways and i think that when the time comes it will come and thats my opinion.

Dahvood

i think there are three issues with euthanasia which are argued over

There is the "preciousness of human life" - where people believe that taking life, regardless of circumstance is not the way to go

There is the "what if...?" thinking - where if you partook in euthanasia today, and a cure was found for thier condition tomorrow, you wouldn't be feeling all too good. also a waste of life, because that person might have gotten better and had a good life had euthanasia been illegal

Then there is the "Bad Doctor" thing, where people don't like the idea of doctors taking life when they should be instead doing thier best to help and make better. there is also the whole neglect thing, where if a patient dies due to mistreatment or neglect, the doctor can pass it off as euthanasia, or whatever. can't think of decent examples, but I hope the point gets across :)

anyway, thats just what i think are the issues, feel free to disagree :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)