Eutrophication monitorings (1 Viewer)

shadowRRL

HSC
I have to do a research on the range and chemistry of the tests used to monitor possible eutrophication of waterways.

But I have no clue where to start can some one help PLEASE!!

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
In the syllabus exactly what point(s) does eutrophication come under?

Giant Lobster

HSC
Its linked to the likelihood of algal blooms occuring, which is in turn linked to the availability of nutrients (nitrates and phosphates), sunlight supply, temperature and whether the waterbody is moving (river, stream etc) or stationary (lake, pond etc). Though I think nutrients should be focused on more...

Algal blooms accelerate eutrophication (which by itself is a natural process) and under the aid of humans (effluent discharge, sewerage etc) its called cultural eutrophication.

Hope that helps.

shadowRRL

HSC
what about the chemistry of monitoring eutrophication in a water sample

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
the N:p ratio needs to be greater than 10:1, w/ nitrogen 0.1~1ppm and P 0.01~0.1 ppm in order to protect against eutr.

you need to measure the phosphate using methods like molybdenum blue method (a colorimetric method) - add ammonium molybdenate, which forms a pale yellow complex. Add ascorbic acid, which turns it blue. shine light thru the blue and use a colorimeter to detect the light and measure p content.

for nitrogen, the Kjeldahl method measures organic nitrogen, and other nitrates/nitrites can be measured using colorimetriy, which turns nitrates into nitrites, reagent is added which forms a purplish pink azo-dye.

shadowRRL

HSC
thanx for the cool info.
OK I better get on with my assignment then
Thanx again for all ur time and efforts

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
wow that sounds pretty detailed sique
but what i wrote for my notes entials a simpler method
for phosphates all u need to do add barium nitrate and a white precipitate will form...you can just then find out through gravimetric analysis

for nitrates u add FeSO4, followed by conc H2SO4, and a brown ring will occur at the junction, this is aka as the brown ring test

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think its just stuff in the text... but yeah if u need it 4 an assess u'll need more depth than the text

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i had what +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ said

define eutrophication as the rapid growth of algae & cyanobacteria (algal bloom) due 2 the enrichment of nitrogen and phosphorus in water so these must b monitored 2 b within the safety range

phosphorus mainly occur as phosphate, use colorimetry

total nitrogen is the sum of organic nitrogen, nitrates and nitrites
organic nitrogen can b found by khejhdal(or sumfin) digestion and then back titration
nitrates/nitrites use colorimetry

i got this from macmillan btw, they have quite detailed examples explaining all these.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)