Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in achieving justice for indigenous peoples? (1 Viewer)

skatman

HSC
Evaluate the effectiveness of law in achieving justice for achieving justice for indigenous peoples? Is my legal studies question and i was interested if anyone had any information or practice essays regarding it.

Tanx

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
skatman said:
Evaluate the effectiveness of law in achieving justice for achieving justice for indigenous peoples? Is my legal studies question and i was interested if anyone had any information or practice essays regarding it.

Tanx
Firstly (after your intro of course:p) chew up a paragraph defining indigenous peoples.

Then depending on what stuff you are looking at, start of with it.

If you are looking at native title, look at the significance of the Mabo Decision (lead to Native Title Act 1992 Cth ---> Down with Terra Nullius!!!) then the Wik Decision (changes in ^^, concurrent rights of pastoralists and Aborigines)

OR Of course, looking at Law.

The acceptance of Customary Law

Williams Case
Hindmarsh Bridge ("Secret Women's Business")
Koe v COA (important for Native Title)

Mention that, the judicial system has only recently started to apply Customary Aboriginal law in cases. It may lead to a cutting of sentence in conjunction with a tribal punishment (most notibly, and my favourite -> spear in the leg) or even a complete pardon.

Arghhh. That's all I have for now, hope that was of help.

EDIT: Look at course descriptors and follow from that, this will help also (Evaluate...etc - words at the start of a question)

MC

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)