Even more intergration problems! (1 Viewer)

CrashOveride

HSC
Ok i think i got it.

This will sound pathetic, but here goes

I'm applying the abovementioned limits to a certain integral....so writing the integral and putting the brackets around it..then the limits on those is the same as writing the limits above and below the integral sign, its the same thing.....i was previously assuming this certain integral to identify with some U part but i could only do that if it had the same limits..... i hope i made sense :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CrashOveride
Actually just for reference, could you write it up :)

I may have more questions to follow :(
No problem with more questions, and here's the full working:

Theorem: If U<sub>n</sub> = &int; (-1 --> 0) x<sup>n</sup>(1 + x)<sup>1/2</sup> dx, for integers n &ge; 0, then U<sub>n</sub> = -2n * U<sub>n-1</sub> / (2n + 3), for n &ge; 1

Proof: U<sub>n</sub> = &int; (-1 --> 0) x<sup>n</sup>(1 + x)<sup>1/2</sup> dx, for integers n &ge; 0
= &int; (-1 --> 0) x<sup>n</sup> d[(1 + x)<sup>3/2</sup> / (3 / 2)]
= [2x<sup>n</sup>(1 + x)<sup>3/2</sup> / 3] (-1 --> 0) - &int; (-1 --> 0) 2(1 + x)<sup>3/2</sup> / 3 dx<sup>n</sup>
= (2 / 3) * [0<sup>n</sup>1<sup>3/2</sup> - (-1)<sup>n</sup>0<sup>3/2</sup>] - (2n / 3) * &int; (-1 --> 0) x<sup>n-1</sup>(1 + x)<sup>1+1/2</sup> dx, for integers n &ge; 1
= (2 / 3) * [0 - 0] - (2n / 3) * &int; (-1 --> 0) x<sup>n-1</sup>(1 + x)(1 + x)<sup>1/2</sup> dx
= (-2n / 3) &int; (-1 --> 0) x<sup>n-1</sup>(1 + x)<sup>1/2</sup> + x<sup>n</sup>(1 + x)<sup>1/2</sup> dx
= (-2n / 3) &int; (-1 --> 0) x<sup>n-1</sup>(1 + x)<sup>1/2</sup> dx + (-2n / 3) &int; (-1 --> 0) x<sup>n</sup>(1 + x)<sup>1/2</sup> dx
= (-2n / 3) * (U<sub>n-1</sub> + U<sub>n</sub>)

So, U<sub>n</sub>(1 + 2n / 3) = (-2n / 3) * U<sub>n-1</sub>
U<sub>n</sub>(3 + 2n) / 3 = -2n * U<sub>n-1</sub> / 3
So, U<sub>n</sub> = -2n * U<sub>n-1</sub> / (2n + 3), for integers n &ge; 1, as required.

CrashOveride

HSC
Thanks CM.

One more:

If I<sub>n</sub> = ∫e<sup>mx</sup> tan<sup>n</sup>x dx

Show I<sub>n</sub> = {[e<sup>mx</sup> tan<sup>n-1</sup>x] / [n-1] } - [m / (n-1)].I<sub>n-1</sub> - I<sub>n-2</sub>

I get pretty close with: I<sub>n</sub> = { [e<sup>mx</sup> . tan<sup>n-1</sup>x ] / n } - (n/m)I<sub>n-1</sub> - I<sub>n-2</sub>

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
If I<sub>n</sub> = ∫e<sup>mx</sup> tan<sup>n</sup>x dx

Show I<sub>n</sub> = {[e<sup>mx</sup> tan<sup>n-1</sup>x] / [n-1] } - [m / (n-1)].I<sub>n-1</sub> - I<sub>n-2</sub>

I get pretty close with: I<sub>n</sub> = { [e<sup>mx</sup> . tan<sup>n-1</sup>x ] / n } - (n/m)I<sub>n-1</sub> - I<sub>n-2</sub>
I<sub>n</sub> = &int; e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n</sup>x dx, for integers n &ge; 0
= &int; tan<sup>n</sup>x d(e<sup>mx</sup> / m)
= tan<sup>n</sup>x * e<sup>mx</sup> / m - &int; e<sup>mx</sup> / m dtan<sup>n</sup>x
= e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n</sup>x / m - (1 / m) &int; e<sup>mx</sup> * ntan<sup>n-1</sup>x * sec<sup>2</sup>x dx, n &ge; 1
= e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n</sup>x / m - (n / m) &int; e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n-1</sup>x * (1 + tan<sup>2</sup>x) dx, noting that 1 + tan<sup>2</sup>x = sec<sup>2</sup>x
= e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n</sup>x / m - (n / m) &int; e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n-1</sup>x + e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n+1</sup>x dx
= e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n</sup>x / m - (n / m) * (I<sub>n-1</sub> + I<sub>n+1</sub>)

So, (n / m) * I<sub>n+1</sub> = e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n</sup>x / m - (n / m) * I<sub>n-1</sub> - I<sub>n</sub>
I<sub>n+1</sub> = (m / n) * e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n</sup>x / m - (m / n) * (n / m) * I<sub>n-1</sub> - (m / n) * I<sub>n</sub>
I<sub>n+1</sub> = e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n</sup>x / n - I<sub>n-1</sub> - (m / n) * I<sub>n</sub>
I<sub>n+1</sub> = e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n</sup>x / n - (m / n) * I<sub>n</sub> - I<sub>n-1</sub>

Now, replace n + 1 by n, and we get, for integers n &ge; 2:

So, I<sub>n</sub> = e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>n-1</sup>x / (n - 1) - [m / (n - 1)] * I<sub>n-1</sub> - I<sub>n-2</sub>, for integers n &ge; 2, as required.

CrashOveride

HSC
Thanks CM. I got up to your 7th line except insttead of making I<sub>n+1</sub> the subject and going from there I replaced the original I<sub>n</sub> with (n-1) and then re-arranged for I<sub>n</sub>.

It gave me a slightly different answer, but this would still be correct for other purposes?

Just that we had to actually show a certain thing in this question.

And also ive noticed we can never allow an 'n' such that one of our 'I' will have a negative number? It just doenst work for n<0 ?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Thanks CM. I got up to your 7th line except insttead of making I<sub>n+1</sub> the subject and going from there I replaced the original I<sub>n</sub> with (n-1) and then re-arranged for I<sub>n</sub>.

It gave me a slightly different answer, but this would still be correct for other purposes?

Just that we had to actually show a certain thing in this question.
Did you replace all the n's by (n - 1)'s? If you did, it should be OK, but it should also have given the same answer. If you only replaced some of them, then you have not treated both sides of the equation in the same way, and in that case your answer is not valid.
And also ive noticed we can never allow an 'n' such that one of our 'I' will have a negative number? It just doenst work for n<0 ?
It might - it depends on the question. In this case, it won't, as n is being used to mean tan<sup>n</sup>x = (tan x)<sup>n</sup>. In the case of n = -1 in the original gives the integral &int; e<sup>mx</sup>tan<sup>-1</sup>x dx, which is not at all the same thing as
&int; e<sup>mx</sup>(tan x)<sup>-1</sup> dx = &int; e<sup>mx</sup> / tan x dx = &int; e<sup>mx</sup>cot x dx, is it?

Furthermore, if you read my integration by parts working carefully, you may note that I change the domain of n in the working at the point where the problem arises. In the above (and indeed, in most cases), it occurs when the differentiation is performed. Here, I have rewritten dtan<sup>n</sup>x as ntan<sup>n-1</sup>x * sec<sup>2</sup>x dx, which I can only do if n is a positive integer.

CrashOveride

HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Did you replace all the n's by (n - 1)'s? If you did, it should be OK, but it should also have given the same answer. If you only replaced some of them, then you have not treated both sides of the equation in the same way, and in that case your answer is not valid.
Right you are again, yeah forgot an 'n'. Fixed now. Thanks CM :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)