• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ever wondered if want to drop 4U? (1 Viewer)

HSC
that's strange. the accelerants at my school simply skipped year 8 and did everything at the same rate, finished their maths (including 4u) a year early...

m&ss2008

HSC
you should really be talking to your teacher about this, its not a decision you should make on your own. yes, 4u does scale well if you do well, but if you fall behind they will scale you down horribly. thats the risk everyone takes.

if you're willing to put in lots of work then keep going. chip away at it and each time you'll remember a little trick to help solve the question.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
lyounamu said:
So, what you are saying is that my 2 unit does not count even if I choose to keep it this year. That doesn't sound right.

Then, what's the point of acceleration if I can't take advantage of it? I am a bit confused.
Yea that is right. It sux in a way because you are taking a risk of possibly not doing well in 4 unit and losing your 2 unit mark

I know what kind of situation you are in. I did 2 unit last year and got 97, but ive decieded to do 4 unit so im studing my ass off so I do better. But remember its not just the mark that counts, its the scaling. So I could get a mark of 90 in 4 unit and I will probably do better than by 97 in 2 unit because it scales better.

The point of acceleration is to get 2 units of maths out of the way. If I hadnt done accelerated 2 unit last year i would be doing 4 periods of 2 unit a week and 2 period of each 3 unit and 4 unit. Instead im doing 4 periods of each 3 unit and 4 unit, so I have double the class time to learn the work. According to my teacher we will be finished both courses before the end of next term, so will have 1 term to revise before trials and a few more weeks after them, whereas, my friends in other schools have only covered about half of what we have covered and are not going to finish the course until right before their exams. Considering you are doing 3 unit accelerated as well you should have plenty of time for 4 unit next year. The other thing with doing 3 unit accelerated, you will know what your mark for 3 unit is before doing 4 unit, and if you choose to do 4 unit, your 3 unit mark will count for 2 units not only one.

If I were you I would do 4 unit for the first half of the year and when you get your half yearly results back ask your teacher whcih they think will be more beneficial. Most 4 unit teachers have been teaching it for a long time, and so have a pretty good idea about what kind of marks students are capable of, and how scaling works.

Last edited:

frostysnow

HSC
xionethic said:
I forgot to mention, if in your class you are top in ur 4unit, 3unit or close, but your not doing that well, then you can go for it... because i think (not sure about this one) if you are rank 1, and you sit the test and you also come in rank 1, its possible ur scaling would be good for your HSC. Don't take my word on that one but. I just remember hearing something similar to that somewhere. Its more re-assuring if u strive for bands... not ranking though.
lol i think i'm coming 3rd, but that's cos well my school gave a relatively easy test, i think to not discourage us. and 1st and second both got full marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)