Everyone's a Journalist nowadays.... (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

braindrainedAsh said:
but which is more important- the code of ethics, or the publics right to know about a story of major significance?
I'd go so far as to say the code of ethics, especially when you haven't defined what constitutes as a publics "right to know". A right to know what? If it is a public issue that is going to effect the greater public, then yes. If it is a personal issue that has the potential to ruin a persons credibility, or their families credibility I think there needs to be a certain amount of tact and responsibility if the media is going to report it. And we all know that happens within the media, :uhhuh: :uhhuh:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Argh I typed out a long response to this last night but then my computer died just as I went to post. But basically katie I agree with you, by the public right to know I mean stuff that is of major public significance, not crap like stuff about Shane Warne's marriage breakup. Sorry I didn't clarify, it's just a phrase we talk about so much at uni.... The code should only be broken in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances... it is a pretty good code of ethics, quite reasonable. The commercial networks do break the rule about letting commercial interests get in the way a lot, and the privacy rule sometimes.... ABC and SBS are not too bad, SMH and the Age aren't too bad either really. And when they do stuff up, we have the wonderful thing which is media watch! I love media watch!!! I hope to be on it one day... in my dreams lol (as the host.... not as someone which has screwed up haha)

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
I love media watch. I love the host, I love how sarcastic they are, I love laughing at the stupid things some media people do, it's all such fun.
I don't have any probablems with blogs and whatnot, I don't think enough people pay attention to them for them to be as big an issue as some people think they are. Besides, the more different opinions and news sources out there, the better.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Th thing is people think in a linear manner, we do not predict chnage we predict continuance, in that we we imagine that things develope in a linear manner and were blogs to do that then in less than ten years evryone would get their news from blogs.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
There are HEAPS of checks and balances... If you constantly lie to your readers and they find out (YOU DON'T KEEP YOUR AUDIENCE). I wrote a big essay on the topic of teh bloggers vs the MSM and generally the way I saw it going was that both the blogs and msm will evolve together untill the lines are infinitely blurred.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)