Evidence for the special theory of rel. (1 Viewer)

Premus

dialated lifetimes of mesons penetrating the Earth's atmosphere - What are Mesons?

Also, what would be evidence for length contraction and the relativity of simultaneity?

Thanks!!

superbird

HSC
well there is none really as due to technological limitations we have yet to proove it. like many of us doing the physics course we have learned just to accept whatever is in the textbook despite the wackiness of the whole concept.
the only evidence is einstein's "thought experiement" of the trains

smallcattle

HSC
Meson is in the quanta to quarks topic

they are combinations of a quark and an antiquark, they are unstable and decay in millionths of seconds. however evidences showed that their lifetime is being dilated when penetrating the earth's atmosphere at very high speed, which provens the time dilation

xeriphic

another way in which technology has proven time dilation is through the use of atomic clocks, where these are flown ovre long distances which are then compared to clocks which have remained stationary during this time

Jase

HSC
Experimental evidence:

Flying atomic clocks to prove time dilation

Dilated lifetimes of Mesons entering atmosphere

Energy yield in nuclear reactions

Using particle accelerators/synchrotrons to observe mass dilation.

superbird

HSC
Jase said:
Experimental evidence:

Flying atomic clocks to prove time dilation

Dilated lifetimes of Mesons entering atmosphere

Energy yield in nuclear reactions

Using particle accelerators/synchrotrons to observe mass dilation.
ah crap so there is evidence :S But this was only mentioned in the option Quarks topic ey?

Jase

HSC
ahah Oh yeah. It is muon.
Wait... muons are mesons. I think. Great you've totally confused me.
okay.. a muon is like an electron, so its a lepton... and.. that means.. it's not a meson.
There we go.

Change that point to Dilated lifetimes of Muons entering atmosphere.

Thanks Gordo.

Jezzabelle

i am pretty sure it was in my trial where they asked for EXPERIMENTAL evidence for special relativity. and if you wrote a thought experiment you got 0 :( SO even tho some of this even is quanta to quarks i think we still need to know it. what the guys said about atomic clocks and muons is correct for Experimental Evidence:

----------------------------------------------------
The first clear example of time dilation was provided over fifty years ago by an experiment detecting muons. These particles are produced at the outer edge of our atmosphere by incoming cosmic rays hitting the first traces of air. They are unstable particles, with a "half-life" of 1.5 microseconds. Their speed can reach as high as 0.99c, which would enable them to travel about 650 m before decaying. Clearly, this distance is not sufficient to allow the muons to reach the surface of the earth and yet muons are found in plentiful supply even in mine shafts beneath the earth’s surface. The explanation is provided by time dilation. The lifetime of muons with a speed of 0.99c is dilated to about 16 ms in the earth’s reference frame. This much time allows the muons to travel close to 5 km in the earth’s reference frame – sufficient to reach the ground. (Remember though, if you could think of a muon carrying a clock along with it, then this clock would record the normal muon life span of 2.2 ms. 2.2 ms of moving-muon time is equivalent to 16 ms of stationary earth observer's time.)
http://landau1.phys.virginia.edu/classes/109/lectures/srelwhat.html
http://www.egglescliffe.org.uk/physics/relativity/sans/srwrkans.html

eez

HSC
N/A
yup difference between experimental and theoretical

theres also experimental about particles in a particle accelerator or something like that, its in jacarande page ( i wouldnt have a clue) about mass dilation (i think)

but yeh
so 2 experimental
and a few theoretical

just be carefull

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)