Evil Ancient History Teachers! (click here to join support group) (1 Viewer)

My ancient history teacher is...

• Boring

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Condescending

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Considerate and helpful

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • EVIL! (this includes condescending and boring)

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

malayz_angel

See Gregor Samsa, I never joke around about matters like this!

I hate my ancient history teacher and if any of you out there feel the same way, let's unite and vent together. I'll share my reasons next time I'm online (Gregor feel free to skip that section since you already had to go through that.)

Come on, Gregor and I can't be the only ones with less than stellar teachers!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Thank you.

It is by no means a matter to joke about, being serious, deadly serious, and detrimentally affecting the potential HSC results, nay present and future lives of a whole legion of students.

While I will expound upon this topic in the near-future [With shocking anecdotes!], my reasons basically come down to 'boring and condescending' as well. Having heard other accounts, I wonder what exactly is happening. Although I know that the vast majority of Ancient teachers are probably fine upstanding individuals who salute the flag and help out any and all students and need, there seems to be a preponderance of eevil ones in this subject. The big question of course, is why?

I sincerely hope that few other students are affected by this threat. I'd write more, but I'm currently traumatised.

Wiggum

I really wish you to help support you but mine is great, there was even an incident with her and a few pretty smashed students, but we'll leave it there. My teacher's cool AND SHE TEACHES WELL.

All i can say to both of you and to who have absolutely shit teachers is that work from now till the HSC. Ask other people about what kind of information you need especially here. A big MUST: ask others about historians and learn from them. THEY will give you what you really need.

Gregor, you'll need to read only a few pages of Tacitus, well it depends what topics you do obviously but Tacitus does recount many events through that timeline, and quite a few pages you can ignore. Read up on modern historians like R Syme, and ancient historians like Cassius Dio and Suetonius.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Thanks. I'm reading 'The Annals' now, (Only up to "War With The Germans' though), and with my topic being Rome From Augustus To Titus, there have been some useful quotes describing the Augustininan principate.

What particular works by the abformentioned historians would you recommend? (I know Suetonius's is 'The Twelve Caesars', but other than that..)

Good to have an example of the fact that the vast majority of teachers aren't evil. :p

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
That's terrible you have such a crappy teacher, but fortunately for me, mine is fan-bloody-tastic. What makes your teacher evil?

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
Thanks. I'm reading 'The Annals' now, (Only up to "War With The Germans' though), and with my topic being Rome From Augustus To Titus, there have been some useful quotes describing the Augustininan principate.

What particular works by the abformentioned historians would you recommend? (I know Suetonius's is 'The Twelve Caesars', but other than that..)

Good to have an example of the fact that the vast majority of teachers aren't evil. :p
Scullard, Salmon are bloody magnificent.

I have a great ancient history teacher, our class is the most disciplined class in the whole school. Literally... No one mucks around in our class, its straight out work every single day. The reason why? He just happens to keep a noose hanging behind his door in clear display, along with some heavy 8 kg weights under his desk. That might not seem much, but this guy is over 65 years old!

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
our history class is totally different... its very relaxed, very happy, we laugh alot... and somehow manage to get copious amounts of work done.

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
My teacher is bad enough but since the class size decreased consistently though out the year, it has been getting consistently worse. Thank god it is over.

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Originally posted by malayz_angel
A noose, Harimau? Wooooooooah
And rumour goes that he used to be a soldier, a boxer and a priest. The priest rumour was confirmed by one of our classmates, who said that he married his parents... And he does seem very disciplined in a militaristic sort of way.

Wiggum

Originally posted by snakeoils
our history class is totally different... its very relaxed, very happy, we laugh alot... and somehow manage to get copious amounts of work done.
Sounds just like mine as well :)

Originally posted by Harimau
Scullard, Salmon are bloody magnificent.
O hell yeah

Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
and with my topic being Rome From Augustus To Titus

Read the whole thing, you'll need ALL of it. Cassius Dio's Roman History is another you'll need to read up on for the ancients.

malayz_angel

This is basically what frustrates me about my teacher:

1) There's encouraging and there's TOO encouraging. She puts a lot of pressure on me to come first in the state (not happening, trust me) and gives me more sheets and textbooks than the rest for all my other subjects combined...and now i feel as though if I don't get somewhere above the 96 range, I'm gonna be wasting all her time and that I have let her down

2) Because I get more books and sheets than everyone else, people in the class resent it and as a result start resenting me :(

3) She's so boring in class. She reads stuff repeatedly non stop just because she feels that the info hasn't 'sunk in' for the rest of the class. Which is pretty patronising for them considering we are all capable of reading the info that she reads ourselves. (It's primary school sheets, for goodness' sake!)

4) If I'm late to class for whatever reason, she sends the head history teacher out looking for me to ensure that she doesn't 'waste time' on the rest of the class teaching while I'm not there. Which makes me feel really irritated cos I can't escape and really annoyed to think she can't be bothered teaching anyone else. And that's how I feel. Imagine the rest of the class!

5) She doesn't see any other subjects as being as important as hers. When Ancient History was the day after Maths in the Trials, she told me not to study for maths because that would distract my focus from ancient history. And I had to skip a History Extension (Modern Extension) class so that I could stay after skool to watch a video on the Spartans...a video I had to borrow for the holidays as well!

I could think of more later, but I'm getting worked up now hehe

Yami

Nah, wish I could support your anti-history teacher group but my ancient history teacher is awesome. He has a (in my opinion) good teaching style, gives a REASONABLE amount of encouragement and gives us good study notes. In other words, our teacher makes ancient very enjoyable and productive. So, I guess I got lucky.

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
MY ANCIENT TEACHER IS THE MARKING NAZI!!!!!!!
i dunno its probably my skool coz the other ancient teacher is even worse- IM DEFINETLY JOINING THE SUPPOURT GROUP

krissy7685

u know what my teachers favourite quote is

" you all laugh now, but ill be laughing when ur back here next year"

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
ok i got the top mark and it was like 82 and thats after they sacled it! ancient is like the easiest subject but its what i seem to do worse at- my teacher gave me 15/25 for an essay...

i have never EVER gotten that bad a mark for an essay! and it was not as if i did not write enough or nething (7 pages for each essay q!) im just really stressing about the real hsc coz im thinking that im crap @ ancient and im going to fail- ie. not even get a band 4!

Wiggum

Well yeah it's pretty easy but the amount of stuff you have to remember is just crazy, that's where the scaling comes in.

Well then ok you win this time. Our top mark was 86 unscaled. Our raw average was around about 63 - 65.

You'll do fine, since you're topping the subject you should get a recent raw mark anyway.

W00T! My first post :p

I'd like to join the support group please. My ancient teacher
is crapper than crap. I actually don't trust that what she tells us is correct, i.e. her predictions for the HSC questions and content.

She makes inappropriate comments, e.g. "Boys are at their sexual peak at age 17, and women are at their sexual peak at age 35, so the ideal would be myself and a boy from the boys' school" -- completely un-provoked and irrelevant to anything else.

She wears mini-mini skirts, which is reason enough I think, to lock her in a box and never let her out.

The only thing she does right is give us lots of notes and background material, but then all she does in class is read the notes out, which takes twice as long and is half as productive than if she actually taught us in class, and let us read the notes at home.

Every year 11 for the past few years has had two full (25 students) ancient history classes. At most, about one student from the other (great) teacher's class will drop it. By year 12, my teacher's class has generally less than 10 students. Thats how much she sucks...:chainsaw:

I think I'm done ranting. She's a stupid bitch, and everyone agrees. But luckily it's all over now! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)