Ew Maths (1 Viewer)

studygirl118

HSC
Hiiii guys,

I'm doing 12 Units with Ancient History, Biology, Adv English, CAFS, SOR II and General Maths. I did really bad in my first General HSC task (like significantly below the class average) and it has made me stress, is there any point in doing it if i'm not motivated to study for it and hopefully won't even count?

If it was up to me I'd wait it out a little longer and then drop it after my next assessment if I'm still doing badly, but my mum said I shouldn't drop at all because I might "need" maths for university?? Would this be true? The only degree i can think of is primary teaching, doesn't that need a minimum Band 5?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions :)

captainneuro

HSC
I'd say wait it out a little longer and see how you go with perhaps the next one or next 2 and drop it if you still do poorly. This way you have one less subject to worry about and can focus more and dedicate more time to your other subjects. As for uni, it really depends on what you want to do, if your course isn't maths heavy and has 1 or 2 units for it, you can get through it without having it done in year 12 or you can just take a bridging class to learn only the maths content relevant for it right before starting.

Frostguard

HSC
Personally the only reason I kept genny maths was because it doesn't make me stress, I see a lotta 2/3/4 unit kids stressing over their exams and I can't relate because genny maths is much more simplified and less intense as the other 3 levels. Keep it for now and see how you go in the second assessment and if you want to drop/not drop after the second assessment, consider the strength of your cohort eg mine's pretty bad lmao in our prelim exams the average was 32% (LOL) and the highest was 74%, legit if u passed you were a god, consider how many band 6's the previous cohort did, and most importantly your mental health and interest in this subject, if you are not doing well in this subject and dislike it very much, then it's best to drop genny maths

stopcrying

HSC
Considering its terrible scaling and that it's your worst subject, drop it.

The way i see it is that you can either keep it and weigh down your study time for other subjects or drop it and dedicate more time to your other subjects. The most common argument against this line of reasoning is that "12 units acts as a safety net." However, General Maths is REALLY unlikely to be your safety net if it's your worst subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)