Exactly how useful is a single commerce degree? (1 Viewer)

spazamataz

HSC
I'm doing it because I enjoyed studying business, and this business program thing I did. If theres money involved, it will be a bonus :)
EDIT: that was a lie, I do enjoy it, and hopefully it will lead to a job that I like, but to be honest, the big money thing wasn't a factor in my decision.

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
can't believe you got through interviews FOB. Further proof interviews for med are epic fail
yeh. anybody can act during an interview. its not like they have polygraphs.
the interview is the best unis can do for selecting candidates no matter how fail it may be.

Dosu

HSC
N/A
can't believe you got through interviews FOB. Further proof interviews for med are epic fail
on the internet, the fact that everyone is anonymous and how an audience is provided makes a lot of people act like retards

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
on the internet, the fact that everyone is anonymous and how an audience is provided makes a lot of people act like retards
yep. ur right mate. how can u be so smart to figure im trolling. man, u must be doing medicine.

Last edited:

phinal

ohai.
HSC
If you want to be rich then become a doctor. They tend to get better starting salaries than anyone else simply because they are super high in demand. However, you have to be really passionate about medicine and saving lives rather than just care about the cash, considering the rounds of interviews and examinations to get the degree in the first place and then study for a very long time before becoming a qualified doctor. This is probably what drives money hungry people to commerce rather than medicine lol thank god somewhat for that. I wouldn't want to entrust my health to a doctor who is nothing but greedy lol

In my opinion, commerce is the most overrated degree ever. At least half my peers are doing commerce degrees and for the majority it's the same attitude with the "I wanna be rich" thing. Unfortunately, many people I know who have interests in other areas (and not commerce) decide to do commerce only because of this "rich" stereotype when they should at least be doing combined commerce degrees.

If you intend to do a commerce degree only, you have to do WELL in it to stand out from the millions who've done the same degree...and lets face it, the finance/accounting industry for example is too crowded and competitive these days plus they are NOT in high demand compared to other fields like education or medicine.
So really only the cream of the crop manage to get into those big firms with a good starting salary and can work their way up the corporate ladder from there. The rest generally end up doing mediocre jobs for a longer period of time and find it much harder to climb the corporate ladder unless they successfully start their own business or something of the like; either way getting rich becomes much more difficult.

Combined degrees are more common these days and the reason for that is that you acquire more diverse skills in different areas making you more desirable for employment. It also makes you stand out a bit from the pile of commerce only people. Furthermore, it allows you to explore any passion that is NOT in commerce.

So basically, if you're really into commerce and always do well in it with a passion then go for the single degree. However, if you have other areas of interests such as science, engineering, arts or law but still want to do commerce (but you're not that passionate about it) then you're better off doing a double degree.
How about if I wanted to combine it with economics? Would that increase my chances of employment or would it just be a waste of an extra year at uni?

Gmac_0

HSC
If we are talking high paying jobs then big business is where all the rich guys are, though for a degree that will give more of a guarantee there is psych+med for a psychiatrist. V high pay, but a lot of uni years. Something like a surgeon also especially good.

chefman21

HSC
N/A
As someone said earlier it's not what you do its what you do with it. Which is the exact words I would say. Any degree is useful to have, but it's what you do with that degree after you have finished that is most important. Take whatever you can out of uni and look at doing work experience and extra curricular activities related to the field you want to go into while you are still at university. Once you leave, get out of your comfort zone by not looking for the easy well paying job and do something that will challenge you. Work harder than the rest and go in with the attitude that you will give it 100% every day. That way, you rule out 95% of the competition because they were either unable to or couldn't be bothered doing the same. Most of the "stars" of any industry, from sports to economics to doctors have had that attitude. I was actually reading an article on Allan Moss a few months ago and he said something along those lines. He was a guy who worked 20 hours a day for years giving his very best. He ended up earning millions. Other guys I can think of are Dennis Lillee (Cricketer), Joel Robuchon (arguably the greatest chef of all time) and Bill Gates.

Degrees count for not much - it's how you put it into practice. If you are worried, think about aiming for postgraduate studies.

rx34

HSC
Why do you need to do psych to be a psychiatrist? I thought all you had to do was medicine + specialization in psychiatry?

Gmac_0

HSC
I'm not 100% sure you need a psych degree for psychiatry, but I would have thought so. The difference between a psychologist and psychiatrist is quite minimal, basically that psychiatrists can prescribe drugs whereas psychologists can't.

chefman21

HSC
N/A
Great pay if you are a psychologist in private practice. But really tough to get a job. Most end up working in government facilities getting paid a good salary but no where near as much as private practice. Very few end up in private practice.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
The difference between psych and psychiatry is massive.

To do psychiatry you complete an MBBS plus postgraduate fellowship training.

A psych degree is not required and imo unnecessary,

bio_nut

HSC
I'm not 100% sure you need a psych degree for psychiatry, but I would have thought so. The difference between a psychologist and psychiatrist is quite minimal, basically that psychiatrists can prescribe drugs whereas psychologists can't.
No, huge difference.

Psychiatrists def don't need a pysch degree.

spence

HSC
You definitely don't have to, they're very different fields

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)