Exam Results - Implications (1 Viewer)

El Misterio

HSC
c_james said:
Yeah, "commercial legal situations" aren't exactly my cup of tea either. I'm much more interested in international law and possibly criminal law.
So sayeth the first year student. You will recant before the end of your penultimate year.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
International law is possibly the funniest law subject I've done so far. In previous years assignment BOOKLETS have been over 50 pages, and each problem scenario in the exam itself was about 5 pages long!

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Holy crap c_james how can you find Torts boring? I thought it was a brilliant subject.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
_dhj_ said:
Holy crap c_james how can you find Torts boring? I thought it was a brilliant subject.
It was much too trivial for my tastes. People suing to get out of paying a 5 cent exit toll? No thanks.

L

LaraB

El Misterio said:
So sayeth the first year student. You will recant before the end of your penultimate year.
lol or not...

the more time i spend as a law student the more my disdain for all things commercial increases lol....

And this is even though i work in a law firm that is predominantly "commercial" in nature...

I agree - Torts was sooooo boring... such trivial stuff that doesn't really mean much in the end and there was so little that was inspiring about it :p

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Am I too complacent if I am happy enough with 1 HD and 3 C's in law subjects, I mean I would have loved higher marks but I found it wasnt as easy as it seems.

I hated torts something shocking, I just held out from criminal. <3 criminal!

Summer Rain

HSC
N/A
c_james said:
It was much too trivial for my tastes. People suing to get out of paying a 5 cent exit toll? No thanks.
I didn't find torts as interesting as I thought I would either. I thought I would hate contracts II but liked it more than torts. I would still like to fight for peoples rights though especially in cases of negligence. I will never forget that case...can't remember the name now... where the poor girl was left a quadraplegic and didn't live for long. Calculating the damages for negligence was very disheartning. The film Erin Brockavidge was one reason that inspired me to study law in the first place (I think I watch to much tv).

Having said that, I work as a legal secretary in the legal department of a huge company and it appears that uni is very different to what lawyers do in the real world. They basically read and amend contracts all day. Its probably the most boing professional job anyone can ever have but most of them are on power trips anyway so its good for their ego. They are also OBESSED with correct grammar to the point of obsessive compulsiveness. Commercial law isn't for me either.

El Misterio: Torts is not as prevalent as it used to be thanks the introduction of the Civil Liability Act (NSW) 2002 - it practically caused 15% of barristers in NSW not to renew there licence or hand in their licence. It is much harder for victims to sue now in cases of negligence because you have to pass the 15% injury threshold incompasitation of the most extreme cases which cuts out so many deserving compensation victims. What a sham!

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The film Erin Brockavidge was one reason that inspired me to study law in the first place (I think I watch to much tv).
Lol that's classic :p.

I'm surprised that there's so little love for torts. I mean don't any of you get excited over the idea of negligence, personal injury, heads of damages etc.?

I guess not then. :(

El Misterio

HSC
Summer Rain said:

El Misterio: Torts is not as prevalent as it used to be thanks the introduction of the Civil Liability Act (NSW) 2002 - it practically caused 15% of barristers in NSW not to renew there licence or hand in their licence. It is much harder for victims to sue now in cases of negligence because you have to pass the 15% injury threshold incompasitation of the most extreme cases which cuts out so many deserving compensation victims. What a sham!
1. The tort of negligence is not restricted to situations involving personal injury.

2. There are torts other than the tort of negligence.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes, torts can arise in contract, business and even IP - the tort of passing off for example.

Summer Rain

HSC
N/A
When I asked my torts lecturer (who is also the course convenor) why we are only covering the tort of negligence she said that the majority of tort claims arise from the tort of negligence (there are about 60 different types of torts but the tort of negligence is 90% of all tort claims). This is why the compulsory torts subject focuses mainly on negligence (in fact thats all we covered at UNSW this year). Other uni's may be different. I know UWS covers other torts. The Civil Liability Act (NSW) 2002 forced many barristers out of business. I would do some research on this topic but its Christmas and I am on holidays.

Summer Rain

HSC
N/A
Oh, Merry Christmas by the way everyone and I hope everyone has a successful year ahead.

Rorix

HSC
El Misterio said:

Yup totally agree! Criminal law definately is not what most people would expect I don't think

L

LaraB

Summer Rain said:
When I asked my torts lecturer (who is also the course convenor) why we are only covering the tort of negligence she said that the majority of tort claims arise from the tort of negligence (there are about 60 different types of torts but the tort of negligence is 90% of all tort claims). This is why the compulsory torts subject focuses mainly on negligence (in fact thats all we covered at UNSW this year). Other uni's may be different. I know UWS covers other torts. The Civil Liability Act (NSW) 2002 forced many barristers out of business. I would do some research on this topic but its Christmas and I am on holidays.
yep - unis are different - UWS i did torts in first year in 2005 - our course seemed different to other unis in that we didn't focus on trespass etc very much and instead focussed on topics that weren't covered by later units, the logic being there's not much point in covering the same thing at a superficial level multiple times i guess

EDIT: sorry lol... typed it the wrong way round lol... meant to say we're like UNSW in not doing other stuff since it's covered later in contracts etc... a lot of ours is like UNSW too - from what people who've transferred in or out of UWS have said, pretty much UWS and UNSW are parallel and UTS has some similarities too so a lot of this stuff is similar from the sounds of it, but other unis do stuff differently

Last edited by a moderator:

Demandred

HSC
Hey Lara, wasn't like 70% of our Torts unit was on negligence? rest were on trespass?

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
From memory unsw does the torts of trespass etc at the end of foundations of law leaving Torts deal with negligence.

But, just in case you missed it, the tort of trespass is covered in Property, Equity and Trusts 1 and, as Moonlight said, The tort of passing off is covered in IP if you choose to do it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
From memory unsw does the torts of trespass etc at the end of foundations of law leaving Torts deal with negligence.

But, just in case you missed it, the tort of trespass is covered in Property, Equity and Trusts 1 and, as Moonlight said, The tort of passing off is covered in IP if you choose to do it.
*plug-plug* UNSW also offers a postgraduate elective in torts, LAWS3049 (Advanced Issues in Torts)http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/postgraduate/courses/2007/LAWS3049.html, open to undergraduates.

From course overview:
The law of tort(s) is in a state of transition. The tort of negligence is being systematically reformed. The right to recover compensation for personal injury will be significantly reformed and will include a number of new concepts and techniques to limit rights to recovery. It is likely that some of these reforms will be carried over into other causes of action founded in negligence.

Tort law reform is not the only change affecting the operation of the law of torts. There are broad changes in other parts of the legal system which are significantly altering the operation of the tort of negligence and of other torts. These include the growth of regulatory law, in which have statutory rights to recover compensation are integrated into regulatory schemes. These include the rights to recover compensation under the Trade Practices Act 1974, rights to recover compensation for losses arising out of prohibited conduct concerning financial products.

It is clearly not possible to present an authoritative view on how the law of tort(s) will respond to the impetus for change. This course cannot provide a single set of answers to this problem. The course can however provide an overview of some of the paths which the law of tort(s) could follow in response to these changes.

The main objective of this course is to provide some of the tools necessary to understand how the law of tort(s) might develop in this new context. This will be important in establishing some points of references for both lawyers and non-lawyers who will have to assist their own organisations and clients to navigate around this new environment.

This course will review recent developments in a range of torts, including intentional torts, economic torts, and torts covering claims for personal injury. This course will not review the tort of defamation. In addition there will be a review of the interaction between tort and human rights in a number of countries, including Canada and the United Kingdom.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Nearly every law school has an advanced torts course :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)