Exam studying Prelim (1 Viewer)

Tazayneem

HSC
Just curious, on average how long prior to an examination do you begin to study for the exam? And in prelim studies, is it only the syllabus to be tested on?

Thanks x

will1997

HSC
They can't test you on anything that's NOT in the syllabus. I usually study for a normal in-class exam 1-2 weeks before. But then again, that's just me being organised.

Myrdred

HSC
Personally, I used to only start studying 2-3 days before exams and get average results. Nowadays I give major exams about a week of prep time. Also will1997 is right, they can only test things in the syllabus.

Kymren

HSC
You should prioritise the subjects you have the most difficulty with.
Harder subjects really need to be studied for at leats 2 weeks before the exam.
Subjects you feel more comfortable about at least one week.
Make sure your notes are up to date about 3 weeks before the exam leaving time to fix them up and then to start studying.

What's not on the syllabus they theoretically can't test you on.

Tazayneem

HSC
Okay so that's cool then
You're so organised I'm partially jealous !
Good job :)

Tazayneem

HSC
Personally, I used to only start studying 2-3 days before exams and get average results. Nowadays I give major exams about a week of prep time. Also will1997 is right, they can only test things in the syllabus.
So that too is a fair amount of time so that's good I guess
I have a really bad habit where I always leave it to the night before ! Any strategies to help me start before maybe?

Tazayneem

HSC
You should prioritise the subjects you have the most difficulty with.
Harder subjects really need to be studied for at leats 2 weeks before the exam.
Subjects you feel more comfortable about at least one week.
Make sure your notes are up to date about 3 weeks before the exam leaving time to fix them up and then to start studying.

What's not on the syllabus they theoretically can't test you on.
Yeah that's right I guess, but as I said my worst habit is leaving things to the night prior the examination :(

Myrdred

HSC
I have a really bad habit where I always leave it to the night before ! Any strategies to help me start before maybe?
You could try summarize what you learnt into notes every weekend/Friday. Dedicate half an hour and that means half an hour less of studying later on. Setting goals also works, as it can help motivate you and give you something to push for.

Tazayneem

HSC
You could try summarize what you learnt into notes every weekend/Friday. Dedicate half an hour and that means half an hour less of studying later on. Setting goals also works, as it can help motivate you and give you something to push for.
Like I try making notes but I get so distracted :(

will1997

HSC
As soon as the teacher hands you the assessment task notice, start highlighting key points such as the topics, marks, date and most importantly the key words in the question. That's a good start to preparing for up-coming exams. Further, once you're at home, set up a plan on what exactly needs to be done to be sufficiently prepared for the exam. This includes planning the essay-structure for the essay-question and preparing study notes. The two keys to success is being persistent and consistent with your studies. Eliminate all distractions such as computers, phones, TV's etc to maximise your level of productivity. Also, on the final note, study in 50 minute blocks (10 minutes rest).

Goodluck with your studies.

Tazayneem

HSC
As soon as the teacher hands you the assessment task notice, start highlighting key points such as the topics, marks, date and most importantly the key words in the question. That's a good start to preparing for up-coming exams. Further, once you're at home, set up a plan on what exactly needs to be done to be sufficiently prepared for the exam. This includes planning the essay-structure for the essay-question and preparing study notes. The two keys to success is being persistent and consistent with your studies. Eliminate all distractions such as computers, phones, TV's etc to maximise your level of productivity. Also, on the final note, study in 50 minute blocks (10 minutes rest).

Goodluck with your studies.
Thank you so much for the tips ! I will try my best to actually use them too :) wish you the best for your studies too!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The examination will only test on syllabus content, however, keep in mind that syllabus content both contains theory as well as skills, so some questions, although they may not directly relate to the content of the syllabus(although it is unlikely), they will test the skills listed in the syllabus-whether it be evaluating the validity/accuracy/reliability of experimental results based on a particular experimental method etc. Usually, you begin studying for the exam as soon as possible, as soon as you get the exam notification, however, having said that, remember that trial tests all content from the entire year, it is advisable you revise the content learnt so far as regularly as possible to reduce the 'cramming' that occurs right before trials, this will maximise your performance since in this way, you can ensure knowledge is embedded into your long term memory rather than your short term memory:)

Tazayneem

HSC
The examination will only test on syllabus content, however, keep in mind that syllabus content both contains theory as well as skills, so some questions, although they may not directly relate to the content of the syllabus(although it is unlikely), they will test the skills listed in the syllabus-whether it be evaluating the validity/accuracy/reliability of experimental results based on a particular experimental method etc. Usually, you begin studying for the exam as soon as possible, as soon as you get the exam notification, however, having said that, remember that trial tests all content from the entire year, it is advisable you revise the content learnt so far as regularly as possible to reduce the 'cramming' that occurs right before trials, this will maximise your performance since in this way, you can ensure knowledge is embedded into your long term memory rather than your short term memory:)
Thanks strawberrye you're cool :) I'll try starting my notes today since my exams for half yearly begin in 3 weeks!!! >.<

enoilgam

HSC
I usually began studying for regular exams about two weeks prior. For exam blocks however, I usually studied about 3 - 4 weeks out (this is just for prelim though). I found this to be a pretty good strategy for me, because my study was close enough to exam time, whilst also giving my enough time to adequetly prepare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)