Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

mithril1337

HSC
Hmmm

if everybody found it easy their gonna scale it hard

:( what was the answer of the xylem mc plz someone

moosegoose

HSC
sounds pretty logical i jst hope my marks ova 80 wat bout the procedure for the leaves:S any1 got nefing dey rekon is rite

Malestyr

HSC
Everybody at my school finished really early too. That exam was amazingly easy.

joshuaali

HSC
mithril1337 said:
Hmmm

if everybody found it easy their gonna scale it hard

:( what was the answer of the xylem mc plz someone
The xylem transports water and mineral ions.

What did everybody put down for Q14 (At the end of a marathon race a runner's body is dehydrated...)?

Last edited:

hoca pontis

HSC
alright, i found the exam alright, not easy though...the gene and the health question was horrible, so was the one with the macro-parasites, prions and protozoans...then there was also the one about planning the temp of when the leaves would drop in the beech plants...omg, i said to stick them in the fridge...lol.
umm, if you left early, you cant take the papers, but i stayed the whole length, and i have the MC paper....

my answers:
Q 1) C
Q 2) B
Q 3) A
Q 4) A ( i made such a boo boo....i didnt realise it was to prevent it from getting into the isolated area. the answer should be C
Q 5) B
Q 6) B
Q 7) D
Q 8) D
Q 9) D
Q 10) B
Q 11) A
Q 12) A ( i got confused with this one....)
Q 13) C
Q 14) A ( i was tossing up between a and c...i ended up going a...)
Q 15) D

what did you guys get?

Amylou222

HSC
joshuaali said:
The xylem transports water and mineral ions.

What did everybody put down for Q14 (At the end of a marathon race a runner's body is dehydrated...)?
I said that both ADH and aldosterone would be produced, cos they both aim to get more water into the blood stream from the kidney tubules, which is what you want I guess if you were dehydrated. I dunno, could be wrong though...

HSC
15 multiple (which they designate a whole fucking half hour to)

Short answer: 60 marks

Then the option topic, which is 25 worth of short answer

I thought it was easy, way easier than previous papers anyway. I did minimal study though, i think i would have gotten like 70's...

The generality of the questions was a bit of a joke, i think there were any you couldnt just bullshit your way through...

joshuaali

HSC
hoca pontis said:
alright, i found the exam alright, not easy though...the gene and the health question was horrible, so was the one with the macro-parasites, prions and protozoans...then there was also the one about planning the temp of when the leaves would drop in the beech plants...omg, i said to stick them in the fridge...lol.
umm, if you left early, you cant take the papers, but i stayed the whole length, and i have the MC paper....

my answers:
Q 1) C
Q 2) B
Q 3) A
Q 4) A ( i made such a boo boo....i didnt realise it was to prevent it from getting into the isolated area. the answer should be C
Q 5) B
Q 6) B
Q 7) D
Q 8) D
Q 9) D
Q 10) B
Q 11) A
Q 12) A ( i got confused with this one....)
Q 13) C
Q 14) A ( i was tossing up between a and c...i ended up going a...)
Q 15) D

what did you guys get?
http://community.boredofstudies.org/743/biology/157142/multiple-choice.html#post3162785

Amylou222: Well, aldosterone's true purpose is to retain sodium ions. Water is conserved in the process, but I don't know.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
The exam was pretty easy and straight forward, everyone at my school finished early. One chick forgot to do half the option though.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Eesh, I thought the exam was challenging than normal, in comparison to previous years...

I reckon the CSSA 2007 trial reflected this exam pretty closely in some areas. It's so frustrating when you realise that you got a question incorrect because you can't do anything about it now!

Apparently for 'Communication', bees and insects detecting pollen with UV and snakes detecting prey with IR is not a form of communication? (Can someone clarify?).

I screwed up the 7 marker for communication - I neglected the 'produce sound' part which was the larynx, although I was going to write about it but I didn't! I jotted down 'Larynx' at the top in my plan, do you think the markers will consider that I was going talk about it but didn't, and give me an extra mark? lol

k4t5UM0t0

HSC
That exam was really easy...
I fucked up question 1 though and that meiosis question i had no idea so i wrote random crossing over of chromosomes.

yinyin

HSC
N/A
it was the best exam so far ive done~ yeah yeah~

starrysky

HSC
I was very happy with this exam - half the stuff I crammed was crap I didn't need, but I didn't care. It was quite easy - actually the first exam that I've felt really happy with. :)

mr.xx

HSC
N/A
that meiosis question mark (?) was indicating that certain processes occurred between the stage the nucleus was at before the question mark and the stage the nucleus was at after the question mark.

I got pairing of homologous chromosomes and crossing over.
What about you guys?

mari89

HSC
Amylou222 said:
I said that both ADH and aldosterone would be produced, cos they both aim to get more water into the blood stream from the kidney tubules, which is what you want I guess if you were dehydrated. I dunno, could be wrong though...

I said the same thing.

hoca pontis

HSC
mayoradamwest said:
i thought it was alrite but i didnt one of the questions on DNA and the double helix bases. i dont know just glad its over. post up the multiple choice questions because i dont have them. we weren't allowed to take the booklets.
alright, here they are...you better appreciate it coz i typed it all up...lol

Q 1) the diagram shows one example of enzyme action as demonstrated by the 'Lock and Key' model.
Which part of the diagram represents the substrate?

(A) C
(B) ACB
(C) AB
(D) A B
(use your imagination to remember the picture)

Q 2) why do cells contain many different enzymes?

(A) Enzymes are timperature specific
(B) Enzymes are specific in their action
(C) Enzymes are sensitive to pH changes
(D) Enzymes are sensitive to substrate concentration

Q 3) This is a longitudinal section of a plant stem (x 200)
What is the name and function of the tissure labelled W?

(A) Xylem- Transports water and mineral ions
(B) Phloem- Transports water and mineral ions
(C) Xylem - Transports simple sugars
(D) Phloem - Transports simple sugars

Q4 ) The Wollemi Pine is easily killed by the fungus which lives in the soil. The last small population of Wollemi Pines grows in a remote part of a national park in NSW. Scientists studying this natural population use strategies to prevent the trees becoming infected.
Which procedure would be most effective in preventing the spread of this fungus to the Wollemi Pines?

(A) Inspecting soil smaples in the area
(B) Commercially producing and distributing the Wollemi Pine
(C) Washing soil from the scientists' shoes before they walk in the area
(D) Preventing the importation of infected Wollemi Pines into Australia

Q 5) Students performed an investigation to compare the effectiveness of two water treatments for purifying pond water.
Three samples of pond water, A, B and C, were collected and each used to inoculate the agar plates. The plates were incubated at 25 degrees and examined 3 days later. The number of visible bacterial colonies on each plate was counted an dthe result tabulated.
What is the dependent variablein this investigation?

(A) the use of a control sample
(B) the number of visible bacterial colonies
(C) the use of sterile agar plates for each sample
(D) treating the water by boiling or adding pool chlorine.

Q 6) Which biological term is best described by 'engulfing and destruction of bacteria or other foreign bodies'?

(A) vaccination
(B) phagocytosis
(C) antibody production
(D) an inflammation response

Q 7) Which leaf structures are adaptations to assist in the conservation of water?

(A) central vein, irregular leaf shape
(B) large air spaces, pointed leaf tip
(C) spongy mesophyll, vascular bundle
(D) sunken stomates, thick waxy cuticle

Q8) Which observation can be used to demonstrate Koch's contribution to understanding the cause of disease?

(A) polio vaccinations trigger an immune response
(B) some mosquitoes carry a pathogen that is often fatal to people
(C) a lack of vitamin C is found in all people suffering the nutritional disease scurvy
(D) the bacteria, Heliobacter pylori, is present in the stomach of all diagnosed with stomach ulcers.

Q 9) Current reproductive techniques can be used to alter the genetic composition of a population. Some of these methods were also used in the nineteenth century by Gregor Mendel.
How did Mendel use reproductive techniques in his experiments?

(A) he artificially inseminated the pea kplants to achieve wrinkled seeds
(B) he cloned the pea plants with round seeds to increase their food supply
(C) he created a transgenic species by mixing tall pea plants and short pea plants
(D) he artificialy pollinated the pea plants to test for different genotypes in the offspring

Q10) Which statement best describes the relationship between proteins and polypeptides?

(A) proteins are composed of polypeptides
(B) polypeptides are composed of proteins
(C) proteins, unlike polypeptides, are composed of amino acids
(D) polypeptides, unlike proteins, are composed of amino acids

Q11) The family tree shows the inheritance of a genetic characteristic.
What is the probability that a daugter of parents A and B would be affected?

(A) 0%
(B) 25%
(C) 50%
(D) 100%
(use your memory to picture the diagram..)

Q12) Which flowchart correctly shows an interaction betwen B and T lymphocytes during an immune response?

(A) infection --> T cells recognise antigen as foreign --> B cells stimulated and antibodes produced
(B) infection --> B cells recognise antigen as foreign --> T cells stimulated and antibodies produced
(C) infection --> T cells stimulated and antibodies produced & B cells recognise antigen as foreign
(D) infection --->B cells stimulated and antibodes produced & T cells recognise antigen as foreign

Q13) The effectiveness of new insecticide was tested on a large population of mosquitoes over a number of breeding cycles. At first the population of mosquitoes was reduced dramatically by the use of the insecticide. after a number of breeding cycles the population then began to increase until the insecticide appeared to have little effect.
How would the Darwin/ Wallace theory of evolution by natural selection explain these observations?

(A) some of the original population were isolated from the insecticide as a control group
(B) some of the original population had already reproduced before the insecticide was used
(C) some of the original population were resistant to the insecticide and passed this on to their offspring
(D) some of the original population adapted to the insecticide and survived to produce offspring

Q14) At the end of a marathon race a runner's body is dehydrated.
How does the body control the two hormoes, ADH and aldosterone, to help to re-establish normal water balance?

(A) ADH is released and aldosterone is inhibited
(B) ADH is inhibited and aldosterone is released
(C) both ADH and aldosterone are released
(D) both ADH and aldosterone are inhibited

Q15) How have Walter Sutton and Theodor Boveri contributed to the understanding of inheritance?

(A) by determining the structure of DNA
(B) by improving knowledge of sex linkage
(C) by demonstrating teh effect of environment on phenotype
(D) by identifying the importance of chromosomes in inheritance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)