Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
mr.xx said:
that meiosis question mark (?) was indicating that certain processes occurred between the stage the nucleus was at before the question mark and the stage the nucleus was at after the question mark.

I got pairing of homologous chromosomes and crossing over.
What about you guys?
Yeah I talked about crossing over - exchange of genes - and random assortment of genes which creates gene combinations --> variation in chromosomes' genetic makeup

starrysky

HSC
mr.xx said:
that meiosis question mark (?) was indicating that certain processes occurred between the stage the nucleus was at before the question mark and the stage the nucleus was at after the question mark.

I got pairing of homologous chromosomes and crossing over.
What about you guys?
Same. I just bullshitted that simplicity and was like "the sections of chromatids separate and crossing over occurs. Random segregation of chromosomes is integral in meiosis for genetic diversity" or some completely blown-up piece of crap that I wasted five minutes wording lol.

matindo64

HSC
Does anyone else think that 30 minutes is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long for multiple choice? I finished it in 5 minutes, though i admit i rush through it the first time but when i came back to it at the end i only changed one answer.

klaratiara

HSC
you have like 5 or so beech seedling and then put them in a temp control environment. then i said u start with the temp at 20C and drop it by 1C every six hours. and every six hours you also reccord how many leaves have fallen off etc etc. then repeat with new plants.
i dont know if thats right though..

all the questions were wayy too general!

klaratiara

HSC
moosegoose said:
sounds pretty logical i jst hope my marks ova 80 wat bout the procedure for the leaves:S any1 got nefing dey rekon is rite
you have like 5 or so beech seedling and then put them in a temp control environment. then i said u start with the temp at 20C and drop it by 1C every six hours. and every six hours you also reccord how many leaves have fallen off etc etc. then repeat with new plants.

klaratiara

HSC
moosegoose said:
sounds pretty logical i jst hope my marks ova 80 wat bout the procedure for the leaves:S any1 got nefing dey rekon is rite

hoca pontis

HSC
umm...the bees detecting UV and the snake detecting IR is not communication of COLOUR..the question asked about colour specificly...from memory that is....the things you were talking about are related to EM spectrum...thats the wavelengths they can detect...
i put that peacocks have colourful feathers to attrack mates, and that the cuttlefish will turn red to warn they are aggravated...

mr.xx

HSC
N/A
yoakim said:
Yeah I talked about crossing over - exchange of genes - and random assortment of genes which creates gene combinations --> variation in chromosomes' genetic makeup
are you sure that random assortment occurred between those 2 stages though?

starrysky

HSC
Yeah that's what I put too. The peacock plumage attracts mates etc. etc. rabbited on about that for a while and then I stuck something about mimicry and camouflage or something in the end with a chameleon and it's just like "... no more than 2 marks for that question, then".

:p

joshuaali

HSC
Colour is merely a particular range of the Electromagnetic (EM) spectrum. I think UV and IR are valid (I talked about them), as well as wavelengths in the visible spectrum. An animal (or human with abnormal cone cells) will not perceive colours the same as you.

mr.xx: Random assortment occurred, yes.

yinyin

HSC
N/A
4 de last question, i put human and deep water fish. is that ok?
coz human r human too right~

mr.xx

HSC
N/A
joshuaali said:
mr.xx: Random assortment occurred, yes.
I don't reckon it did, because they were always going to pair with their respective chromosome. Oh well I put two other processes that occurred and it was 2 marks so all is okay. lol.

xsavagex

HSC
I thought it was a pretty good exam overall.

Definately the one i feel most confident about out of all my exams apart from english.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
yinyin said:
Yeah I put down deep sea fish can detect colour in the range of 450nm-500nm (blue light) for bioluminescence, but I forgot what the purpose of it was for lol, so I just said navigation

xxJTxx

HSC
Overall it was pretty good.

I dunno, I felt like I was doing my CSSA paper again at times, which was strange.

Though, I didn't touch one bio past hsc paper (lol even though I bought success one) so I had no idea what to expect, just went by my trial...:D

sometimes I felt like out of all the things to ask, they chose THIS - like that retarted DNA question with the bases...

um yah. the core 8 marker was STUPID...I got a writing booklet attached cause I just kept writing ... hehe

and the big one in communication was GOOD..finally a question that was like if you've studied, you'll get this one and you can't crap on to get through it..

so yah~!

hellopian

HSC
For the examples of colour communication I put peacock as well but instead of attracting a mate I wrote they felt threatened. I also wrote about the satin bowerbird and the monarch butterfly.

allyse053

HSC
i thought it was ok. bit of a disappointment that you study for hours and hours and only a quarter of what you study is in the exam.

but overall it was easier than i thought it would be.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
umm i called it independent assortment with crossing over

independent assortment does occur as once the chromosomes pairs have been duplicated...they independently/randomly assort themselves in to pairs and in doing so they cross over??

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
yinyin said:
yeah...humans are humans

Rachael21

HSC
I'm confused, did the question that asked what '?' represented want us to state two things that would occur, or would 'crossing over'/exchange of genetic material be enough?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)