Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Amylou222

HSC
Grrr I'm so angry with myself for not writing down crossing over for that ? thing. I thought that cos it didn't look like crossing over had occurred, then it mustn't have in that case. I thought it hadn't occurred because the chromosomes in each cell were the same. Damn!

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
yeah crossing over would be fine...independent assortment was a side factor i guess, the main thing was crossing over, it was the most obviou sthing that happened

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
what were the 4 alleles possbilities did you guys p[ut down?

phoebe2007

HSC
Buiboi said:
what were the 4 alleles possbilities did you guys p[ut down?
i put down ABDE ABdE abDE AbeE... or four to that extent... was that right? wasn't really sure

shona1990

HSC
klaratiara said:
you have like 5 or so beech seedling and then put them in a temp control environment. then i said u start with the temp at 20C and drop it by 1C every six hours. and every six hours you also reccord how many leaves have fallen off etc etc. then repeat with new plants.
i dont know if thats right though..
Ahh. That makes sense. I didn't think of anything to do with a temp control enviro.
It was "Plant, wait for them to grow, then in winter, keep track of the temp, and watch when they fall off, put your results in a table/graph"
I felt so stupid writing it... But it was such a random question. Blergh, oh well.

starrysky

HSC
shona1990 said:
Ahh. That makes sense. I didn't think of anything to do with a temp control enviro.
It was "Plant, wait for them to grow, then in winter, keep track of the temp, and watch when they fall off, put your results in a table/graph"
I felt so stupid writing it... But it was such a random question. Blergh, oh well.
Same here! Just the basic stuff that came vomiting out of my brain - plant, wait for them to grow, record temperatures frequently in winter, observe the dropping off of leaves, record observations, then repeat experiment. The whole rigmarole. Annoying, to be honest.

How did everyone go with the 8-marker in Part B?

Amylou222

HSC
phoebe2007 said:
i put down ABDE ABdE abDE AbeE... or four to that extent... was that right? wasn't really sure
for some reason i put down AABB AaBb Aabb aabb or something like that. i don't know why i left out the D/d's and E/e's... stupid mistake I guess :(
probably because I've never seen one with 4 different alleles in it before

Last edited:

shona1990

HSC
phoebe2007 said:
Ahhh yes, that seems right.
I put ABAb, aBab dede DEDE.
Or something along those lines. Just a silly guess. But I don't know why I didn't think to put down what you did....

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
i made my one complicated..couldnt think of an easier way
i said to use different temperatures by placing one in room temperature one in the refrigerator and one under a 75 watt light bulb kind of thing and using tables to compare the before and after

abbott75

HSC
Stipe Pletikosa said:
Guess i got that wrong then!

I did like Bb, AA, aa, ee or something like that
Thats what I did, although thinking back, wouldn't "A" "a" "B" "b" have been fine?

shona1990

HSC
starrysky said:
Same here! Just the basic stuff that came vomiting out of my brain - plant, wait for them to grow, record temperatures frequently in winter, observe the dropping off of leaves, record observations, then repeat experiment. The whole rigmarole. Annoying, to be honest.

How did everyone go with the 8-marker in Part B?
Still should hopefully get SOME marks for it... :) ...I hope!

Ohh the one on temperature changes? I just bullsh*tted my way through that. Something to do with no huge impact currently, but in the long term, would have huge effects etc, which humans are currently cutting down on carbon omissions... and how Aust plants and animals have adapted well to a hot environment, espec that of the desert, and gave examples, and how they may evolve further to deal with changes etc

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
emilyf said:
shit i did that too!
lol same ...what a way to blow 2 marks man..i had atleast an hour to pick that up....hmmm sometimes i just wander what i do during my free time?

wait...is it 4 letters or 2 letters? like if you think about it they split in to two separate cells containing 2 chromosomes in each
then same shit happens..mitotic division
and you have gamete production...gametes have half of the chromosomes...oh wait im confused now..nvm

starrysky

HSC
Yeah I just talked about pretty much the same stuff. Talked about ecothermic species (e.g. water-holding frog, was it? Eh) and stuff, and how some species can only exist in a narrow range of temperatures so they'll either go splat or natural selection will weave its magic, yaddah yaddah. Blah.

(Y)

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
starrysky said:
Yeah I just talked about pretty much the same stuff. Talked about ecothermic species (e.g. water-holding frog, was it? Eh) and stuff, and how some species can only exist in a narrow range of temperatures so they'll either go splat or natural selection will weave its magic, yaddah yaddah. Blah.

(Y)
yeah i was goign to mention of the narrow temperatures for individual species except, there was no space...

tmde1st

HSC
I thought thats that exam was easy. I think that i screwed up the allele Q, i put AA, Ab ee DD, or something to that effect. but apart from that and the MC it was pretty easy.

starrysky

HSC
Buiboi said:
yeah i was goign to mention of the narrow temperatures for individual species except, there was no space...
LOL. I ended up writing to the margins of the page and then over and around the page number at the bottom and it was all just last-minute illegible crap because I left that 8-marker 'til last (+ the DNA replication one, I forgot that one right up 'til the end, then remembered it in some disturbingly weird epiphanic moment and scribbled it all down and such) ...

hellopian

HSC
Buiboi said:
i made my one complicated..couldnt think of an easier way
i said to use different temperatures by placing one in room temperature one in the refrigerator and one under a 75 watt light bulb kind of thing and using tables to compare the before and after
That's alot like what I said. I said get 6 pot beech seedlings place two in the fridge, two at room temperature and two in sunlight.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)