Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

noitall

HSC
like everyone, i finished after 2 hours. something tells me this test is going to be scaled down, and bio is my best subject. FUCK !

Hillbilly

HSC
I found the exam really hard! The questions were either very ver spesific or way to vague....I finsihed in the first 2 hours...but stayed and weht over my exam untill the 3 hours had passed. I was the only student at my school to stay in the room for the full 3 hours!

So, im not sure if thats a good thing or not....haha. NOW PHYSICS AND DRAMA!

oh....and SOR

Etak90

HSC
the exam was ok. certain pars were really easy. i reckon that A, T, G, C and their precentages question was horrible. although it sounds like we werent the only school that wasnt taught that
no two more exams! ext english and drama!!

bmwz4

HSC
emma2290 said:
i talked to my teacher afterwards and she said that it was 20 20 30 30
also in the temperature extended response were we supposed to talk about adaptations for short term? cos i didnt
why though? i thought the nitrogen bases are of equal value...?

i said in the short term if the plants/animals cant adapt they might die out and in the long term become extinct...and in the short term endotherms will find it dfficult when temperatures become too high since their adaptations are physiological whilst ectotherms they have behavioural adaptations...i dno it was weird

zaccass

HSC
I couldn't do one question, 'Name ONE disease casued by a macro parasite?'

Major mind blank

pippyana

HSC
Yeh i dont think that bases question was something u were taught, more like u had to show u knew that the bases paired A-T and G-C, so t would have to be 20 cos a was, and then the other two were 30 so then cos it added up to 100..

yeah our school did human story, we all hated it but the exam was ok.. i mean 6 marks for processing information, u gotta be happy with that! and i wrote about 3 pages for culture but it turned into an essay, i reckon i shouldve just done it in point form, markers like it to be a bit summarised in science i reckon.

TDjie

♥ Hello ♥
HSC
Stipe Pletikosa said:
Meiosis queston eveyone. what was the '?' indicative for?
I got the impression the first cell was

Prophase I (crossing over)

?? = Metaphase I which was missing

Anaphase I in the third (being pulled to opposite poles)

I talked about random assortment, segregation, crossing over, and the halving of gamete numbers in fertilisation from both (usually) male and female to create even more variation.

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
bmwz4 said:
i had 20 20 20 20 SUM1 PLZ CONFIRM THIS for the love of god!
It was
20 A
20 T
30 G
30 C.

Because they all have to add up to 100 %.
And seeing as A and T are complementary, along with G and C, you have to have the same amount of the base pair.
Sorry lol.
It was only three marks but
It was one of the only things i actually learnt from my stupid teacher.
i had a tutor and learnt most of it myself anyway.

mithril1337

HSC
bmwz4 said:

i said in the short term if the plants/animals cant adapt they might die out and in the long term become extinct...and in the short term endotherms will find it dfficult when temperatures become too high since their adaptations are physiological whilst ectotherms they have behavioural adaptations...i dno it was weird
well they should be

i mean what percentage do the sugars and phosphates equal??

the question asked about themake up of dna including the things on the side

thats my argument anyway.

mzduxx2006

HSC
bmwz4 said:
well acid base pairs are equal

therefore amounts of at are equal and amounts of GC are equal

therefore if A was 20% then so would G.

therefore A and G are 40% together. with a viable 60% remaining then u divide that by 2 to get an equal sum which would result in 30%

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
The bases question is not part of the course. I remembered my teacher taught me something called "Chargaff's prinicple" in year 10 and i just looked this up in wikipedia

"Chargaff's rules state that DNA from any cell of all organisms should have a 1:1 ratio of pyrimidine and purine bases and, more specifically, that the amount of guanine is equal to cytosine and the amount of adenine is equal to thymine. This pattern is found in both strands of the DNA. They were discovered by Austrian chemist Erwin Chargaff.

Chargaff Parity Rule 1 holds that a double-stranded DNA molecule globally %A = %T and %G = %C.[6] The rigorous validation of the rule constitutes the basis of Watson-Crick pairs in the DNA double helix"

hope that helps!

mithril1337

HSC
2opinion8d said:
The bases question is not part of the course. I remembered my teacher taught me something called "Chargaff's prinicple" in year 10 and i just looked this up in wikipedia

"Chargaff's rules state that DNA from any cell of all organisms should have a 1:1 ratio of pyrimidine and purine bases and, more specifically, that the amount of guanine is equal to cytosine and the amount of adenine is equal to thymine. This pattern is found in both strands of the DNA. They were discovered by Austrian chemist Erwin Chargaff.

Chargaff Parity Rule 1 holds that a double-stranded DNA molecule globally %A = %T and %G = %C.[6] The rigorous validation of the rule constitutes the basis of Watson-Crick pairs in the DNA double helix"

hope that helps!
specific but it did the job:)

joshyooo

HSC
zaccass said:
I couldn't do one question, 'Name ONE disease casued by a macro parasite?'

Major mind blank
I had a mind blank on this question as well! EEK!

Ended up puting down - Tapeworm may cause an imbalance in an individuals microflora hence causing a candidas infection... Would they accept that answer?

efhat

HSC
for that last communication question i wrote about the IR detection and how some organisms have tetrachromatic vision rather than trichromatic and stuff liek that coz they have differetn needs and environmental pressures......i hope they accept that coz the detection of colour does involve the EM spectrum.....wat u rekon?

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
i just realised i made so many fucking mistakes. Kicking myself. :bomb: Oh well hopefully i can still get around 90%. Bio's my best subject so i hope that it gets scaled good although the exam was pretty easy so i highly doubt that it will and it will prob also be marked really hard. damn.

Stipe Pletikosa

HSC
I think the bases question was put in place and worth 3marks to trick students personaly.

I remember reading that the Bases of A & G are something technical term. There double base strands or something rather.

In the case of the question, i think that A & G are infact 20%.

Reason being is that when the T & C join them, it forms 50% and 50% which joins to 100.

If it infact what people are thinking with people writing A=20% so T=20% then the compostion would be messed up adn the diagram of a nucleotide would also be missleading.

I just can't imagine them allocating 3marks to a question that simple, where you just had to no what complimented what. Im quiet sure that what i read about A & G is the difference.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
efhat said:
for that last communication question i wrote about the IR detection and how some organisms have tetrachromatic vision rather than trichromatic and stuff liek that coz they have differetn needs and environmental pressures......i hope they accept that coz the detection of colour does involve the EM spectrum.....wat u rekon?

hmmm i think the question was about how or why colour is used in communication?
i spoke of
camoflauge:eek:ctopus
warning mechanism: monarchy butterfly and poison arrow frog
food recognition: primates and bees
attracting a mate: male peacock dance

A and G are not 20%? theyre not complimentary base pairs, if they were then it would be clear that for every A there is a T, because they cant exist without the other base pair so if A were 20% then T would have to be 20%

considering that theres a remaining 60, G and C who are like A and T will have to equally occupy that 60 and so 30 each!?!??!

emma2290

HSC
joshyooo said:
I had a mind blank on this question as well! EEK!

Ended up puting down - Tapeworm may cause an imbalance in an individuals microflora hence causing a candidas infection... Would they accept that answer?
tapeworm is right
i put ringworm but later realized that it is caused by a fungus ah well only one mark

Freakster01

HSC
i thot it says name a disease caused by macro parasite not wat a macro parasite is which is wat u r referring to isnt it? :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)