Example timetable? (1 Viewer)

Mumma

HSC
Can anyone who does any form of full-time engineering study give me an example weekly timetable? I want to see the kind of hours worked, and how I would be able to fit a job around study. Thanks.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Ok well here is my 2nd year first sem timetable
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/lionoff/tts1.PNG

The only classes i really went to in that were that 3 hour phys lab, the comp lab/lec and those elec lectures (whenever i could get a chance).

So i suppose you could work 1 or 2 days during the week. (My friend works 2 days a week with an engineering timetable), though he structured his timetable in such a way that he misses out on minimal hours:p

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Mumma said:
:eek: Wow thats packed
Thanks for that!
You *might* be able to get a day off if you rearrange everything nicely (although some subjects maybe not).

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yeh first year eng/science, you're looking at 20 hpw minimum =\

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
The hours get less during later years. You have to put up with the general courses in firt year though, which take up a lot of hours, but they are easier in terms of workload.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Depends on the time of session :p Weeks 1-7 probably about 0. From there onwards it exponentially increases as you approach week 14.

Of course you can choose to study 0 all the way through.

Mumma

HSC
But how do you exponentially increase from 0? :p Generally, considering an average engineering workload, how many hours? I really would like to know what to expect.

gman03

HSC
Mumma said:
But how do you exponentially increase from 0? :p Generally, considering an average engineering workload, how many hours? I really would like to know what to expect.
seriously unless you know what you are aiming for in terms of academic results / social hours + how good you're at the particular area + how fast do you understand things etc the "hours per week" estimate we can give you will be no better than of one that is out of a hat.

You understand what are pass / credit average / distinction grades, WAMs ?

Consider you are aiming for credit average, which means a WAM of around 70%.

If you are very good at understanding physics and maths, then you will probably going to spend an extra 6 hours per week (probably 2/3 hours in first few weeks, 10 in the next few weeks when tests and assignments are due, then like a week of cramming before exam per subjects)

If you are not quick at understanding concepts, or you not up with the lecture pace / skip lectures, than the time required will be sort of double.

Then the next thing is are you motivated at uni or not. Unlike high school, only major works contributes to final mark and all and you probably going to have only two per subjects each last two weeks or so. How much time you need to do them will depend how much homework you do on your own. No body will be checking your homework and stuff.

So, for 1st year engineering, you are unlikely to have time for work unless youi are ready to sacrifice assignment time and get low grades.

Mumma

HSC
Aiming for credits +, I think ill be motivated yeah. I'm a fairly quick learner when it comes to physics, maths, computing etc... Ive just been hearing people tell me its '30 hours of study a week' and I'm like WTF...
Thanks for that.

nlike high school, only major works contributes to final mark and all and you probably going to have only two per subjects each last two weeks or so. How much time you need to do them will depend how much homework you do on your own. No body will be checking your homework and stuff.
Major works, as in take home assignments and that? What about exams, surely they count?

sunny

meh.
HSC
30 hours of study a week is probably unrealistic by any standard. If you require 30 hours a week of study to learn things then you have issues.

Like people have already said its hard to give you an estimate of hours of study required since everyone is different. How early/late you study for your exams or start your assignments is up to you.

But I agree, regardless its unlikely you'll have time for a job especially in first year eng.

Zaphk

HSC
I'm about to do 4th year EE, 3rd year was one of the lightest timetables for me in terms of 'official' classes since the labs and tutes are bi-weekly. However those breaks are given to us for a reason and you'll do well if you use those breaks properly.

Last semester, I had to use those breaks to do project work for my elec3017 design class which is sort of equivalent to eng1000 except our final prototype had to work.

Zaphk

HSC
its possible but I think the lectures, which are fixed in place, would not fit.

Lectures and tutorials are not compulsory but labs are. Hence, you could skip the lecture and tutorial so you do have a 4 day timetable. Its possible to get good grades by skipping lectures I know a people who do so but they make good use of their time - going to the bar during maths does not count :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)