exams vs assignments (1 Viewer)

izi

HSC
so what do you prefer? i would much rather do an exam/test/quiz. right now im supposed to be writing an assignment and im getting really sleepy just thinking about it. when i have an exam coming up soon, the adrenalin rush increases my motivation and theres always a sense of satisfaction after an exam which i dont really get for putting a few references together. exams just seem to be a fairer and more efficient way of testing knowledge. also, with assignments, the amount of work you put into it and the mark you get back dont match. like for example, i got this assignment back on this surgical procedure that i still dont get and would never EVER attempt myself and got a brilliant mark! yet for one i worked quite hard for, i got a lousy credit. with exams, its much simpler. i study, i get a good mark. i dont study, i get a shit mark (or i get lucky occassionally).

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Assignments. Although, I only have 3 exams this semester, all spread out - one on the 27th, 1st and 5th - and though this was great until my cousin told me she doesn't have ANY exams 2nd semester!!!

izi

HSC
Asquithian said:
meh ...assingments and assignments...i dont really have much of a choice...i mean its nicer to write an assignment if its for something your good at...its better to do an exam when you dont know what yuour talking about
its nicer to write an assignment if you are good at photocopying books and journals and then summarising it all into the required word count
its better to do an exam when you are willing to comprehend all the theory and apply it to a clinical situation without any books within a time limit coz the animal might die... exams just seem more like the real thing, at least for my course.

assignments cause more procrastination and they drag... you can learn more stuff for exams for the same amount of time

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
seems I should say I like exams better, because I always manage to get better marks after final exams than what I was on after all the 'assignments'
ie, I'd be on like a 65% standing for one subject, going into the finals, and manage to get a distinction or high distinction in the end..its all very strange

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
I much rather exams..I seem to be able to psyche up for them and study like a maniac and pull out an HD wheras i always do a half-arsed job on assignments.

doe

HSC
N/A
for computing id say assignments by far, a 3 hour exam tests your ability to rote learn and remember stuff, in computing theres is too much plaigarism with assignments though.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
doe said:
for computing id say assignments by far, a 3 hour exam tests your ability to rote learn and remember stuff, in computing theres is too much plaigarism with assignments though.
thats the common worst case scenario :p

santaslayer

HSC
izi said:
so what do you prefer? i would much rather do an exam/test/quiz. right now im supposed to be writing an assignment and im getting really sleepy just thinking about it. when i have an exam coming up soon, the adrenalin rush increases my motivation and theres always a sense of satisfaction after an exam which i dont really get for putting a few references together. exams just seem to be a fairer and more efficient way of testing knowledge. also, with assignments, the amount of work you put into it and the mark you get back dont match. like for example, i got this assignment back on this surgical procedure that i still dont get and would never EVER attempt myself and got a brilliant mark! yet for one i worked quite hard for, i got a lousy credit. with exams, its much simpler. i study, i get a good mark. i dont study, i get a shit mark (or i get lucky occassionally).
I agree...:p

Assingments are time consuming and marked harder...man, they even pose harder questions in assingments...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I rather exams because they require less effort I think. They are over and done with a lot faster too. I also don't seem to procrastinate as much for exams as assignments:).

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Minai said:
seems I should say I like exams better, because I always manage to get better marks after final exams than what I was on after all the 'assignments'
ie, I'd be on like a 65% standing for one subject, going into the finals, and manage to get a distinction or high distinction in the end..its all very strange

yeah i think i prefer exams tooo.....the same thing happened 2 me last sem for micro...before the finals i was getting something like a pass or credit....bt after the finals i ended up gettin a distinction....which was REALLLYYYYYY very strange......
Well, all's good if the end's good!:D....so i wud definitely go with exams!!

Glaciana

HSC
N/A
Exams for me. I always do better in exams. Assignments shit me to tears.

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
Definitely assignments - but not group assignments I hate those!!.. and exams just suck.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Assignments; every single exam I have ever sat, I have bombed.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Asquithian said:
my whole degree is assignments...:\ LAw only has exams because it has too...most of the teachers are of the opinion that you dont learn law by doing 3 hour exams whereby you are forced to solve a problem question without time to think...its pretty stupid considering that in the real world ud have much more than 1 hour to solve someones massively important legal question
Don't you think that is the case with all exams though? There wouldn't be that many cases where you would have to decide what you would do in a few hours, Law especially though. My Management course is pretty similar too:(.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
eLmo said:
Definitely assignments - but not group assignments I hate those!!.. and exams just suck.
Yeah, group assignment are usually crap. People not pulling their weight/doing dodgy jobs:mad:!

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Assignments because they don't have to be on time and you get weeks to do it instead of 3 hours... plus its easier to cheat/steal/plagerise than to actually learn and create an answer of form an arguement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)