• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Exams!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tarin~~~

Hey guys,

hows everyone feelin about the exams? im crapping myself. anyone got any good hints apart from the usual study study study till ya head explodes..............its happend to many times before.....not...that...my...head can explode more then once.... anyway you guys get the picture lol

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
me and perfectionist and a few others have posted tips in other threads.....i cant find em rite now....u'd have to look around a bit....they are v detailed :)
good luck

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Found two from previous threads :D :

Originally posted by perfectionist
What i did during year 12 was made notes on the modules...which were quite thorough..and made sure that i understand the topic well..and then took a general topic for the essay...and wrote a draft essay..and kept editing it until i knew it was perfect or looked perfect..i mean there was a flow in what i was trying to say in the essay..once i had a speech for a module..i edited it like 13-14 times to come up with something which is to the point, answered the question and there is a flow in the points i am stating.

So yeah...once done with my essays...learnt em..i.e. memorised em, timed my each essay to fit in 40 min. Each one was about 1100-1200 words. Then took past papers and practiced essays.
And...for AOS...make sure u practice as many papers as u can..as u go and do em u'd realise that u are improving.
And keep upto date..i mean when u are doing a module in class make sure that u are concentrating on writing your general essay. At my school people left it to just before the trials..and i was prepared for my essays so prolly it was less stress compared to others.

i got 84 by this work and i am happy since its around top 1% of Standard English and this is what i always aimed for. So yeah 1stly make sure that u have a specific goal in mind and then work towards it.

Good Luck!
Originally posted by perfectionist

For AOS get some book from the bookshop which has Reading Exercises. And do em. Check em, and then try others a couple of days later. make a list of techniques that mite be used in a given form eg Make a list of techniqes used in a feature article and similarly look at other techniques used in texts, such hyperbole, irony, tone, rhetorical Q's etc, which are used to show the idea of journey. practice as much as u can. You cannot get past Papers unfortunately since its Journey's first year!! Ok this was for the 1st Section of Paper 1.

Secondly u can practice creative writing pieces by using the theme of "journey's" Try as many as u can in the time u have, like may be such things as a feature article, short story etc.

Thirdly, ask your teacher if u need to learn the Essay for your half yearly Exam, it's good if u have to, cos then it wud be ready for ur trials and HSC then, i mean u'd still remember it, even if not word to word, and by the time trials come around it wud be easier to just memorise it. Time your Essay in 40 mintutes. then get sample Q's on ur AOS and write essays answering those Q's . Also twist you essay into other forms like a feature article or a speech by making it less formal.

okies, hope this helps.

If you have more confusions feel free to ask Q's.
There should be a couple more posts, can't find em at the moment.

Arthur

Wow. Thanks perfectionist. Those were good tips.

What I also suggest is to have a full session of sleep before the examination. If I follow what perfectionist wrote and also had a good solid 8 hours of sleep, I'd be set I reckon.

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Thanks Arthur :)

It's not that hard to get a band 5 in Standard English as people make it seem, it's just hard work, if u know your Essays and techniques for English, u have nothing to worry about.

and yeah, eight hour sleep helps.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)