Excel books Yay or Nay? (1 Viewer)

justjaxson

HSC
Are excel books or any other guide books worth the [small] investment? Do they really make it easier or am I just better off on my own? I was in the top three for all of my prelim subjects on barely any study. However this year I want to up my game and study more, but do I really or will I really need these books that everyone else seems to have/use?
My goal is a 90+ ATAR

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Are excel books or any other guide books worth the [small] investment? Do they really make it easier or am I just better off on my own? I was in the top three for all of my prelim subjects on barely any study. However this year I want to up my game and study more, but do I really or will I really need these books that everyone else seems to have/use?
My goal is a 90+ ATAR
Excel books are not huge necessities, but they are useful for practice questions. There are other guide books to use for study but it's your choice really.

Imo, I highly recommended them.

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
There are better textbooks out there, depending on your subjects.

What subs are you doing?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
There are better textbooks out there, depending on your subjects.

What subs are you doing?
Oops, I was meant to say that excel books are good for maths, if that's what he's doing as a sub.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Oops, I was meant to say that excel books are good for maths, if that's what he's doing as a sub.
Excel is a bit eh for maths, imo. Go for Cambridge and Fitzpatrick for harder and more problem solving ones and Terry Lee is good from what I've heard heh

youngsky

poof
HSC
For maths, the best ones are probably Cambridge>Fitzpatrick>Jones & Couchman>Maths in Focus>etc..

dunno what to say about Terry Lee though

nightweaver066

HSC
Terry Lee books have interesting/difficult questions in them. :)

Get them if you want to challenge yourself and you're aiming high.

the_one_1

HSC
For food tech and ipt, excel books are great. They go through the full syllabus step by step

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I bought one for eco and used to twice throughout the year, it wasn't really helpful to me. It's good if you just want to skim read over topics quickly but not much else.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Of recommend the excel textbooks. I only know about chem/phy/eng but they definitely helped me. The questions (most of them) simulate hsc style questions and the quick summary notes are good

Elisa Sweet

HSC
They're helpful, but I don't think it's worth the cost of them. I managed to find one for business in the local library, so I suggest doing that rather than buying it. Don't use it much, anyway.

nifkeh

HSC
recommend for maths - harder maths books are cambridge, terry lee is pretty good

idk for physics it seems okay, in conjunction with your school textbook and other textbooks

chem idk didn't use mine this year at all lol but I guess it would be more or less the same

ancient history - just okay

IPT - quite good

english - alright if you don't know the module but only use this as a starting point

the_one_1

HSC
recommend for maths - harder maths books are cambridge, terry lee is pretty good

idk for physics it seems okay, in conjunction with your school textbook and other textbooks

chem idk didn't use mine this year at all lol but I guess it would be more or less the same

ancient history - just okay

IPT - quite good

english - alright if you don't know the module but only use this as a starting point
I agr... Wait I haven't looked through mine yet... F' religion 1U. IPT Revision time. Time to ACE this subject in the HSC.

vtx

HSC
N/A
I didn't use textbooks at all. I bought notes and used them as a guide to make my own. if you make your own notes, you pretty much never forget the information.

enoilgam

HSC
It depends on the subject really and what your school textbooks are like - if you have a really bad textbook (or none at all), then I would consider getting one. Some can be really useful depending on the circumstances, whilst others will just sit on your shelf unused.

Salehhh

HSC
Excel's pretty good for IPT... not like Samuel Davis's one. It has a shit load of irrelevant info...

Excel get's straight to the point and is really good if you want to like go over certain topics you need help in.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Excel is like a summary book from what I see it as.

I know that it is good for Phys :)

goobypls

HSC
Anyone know what the Tim Riley workbook is like for economics? is it worth getting?

xxcc

HSC
I like the excel success one hsc book for physics (past papers and solutions)

Didn't really like HSC biology excel, dot points is good but you'll have to add a lot of your own notes to it but its good for core knowledge.
The 3u excel guide is alright, didn't really use it much though. I prefer Cambridge for maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)