Exchange Terminology? (1 Viewer)

danielak

HSC
I'll be enrolling in university in 2010 so I've been thinking a lot about how I'll go through uni. I'm wanting to go overseas to study for a bit, but I'm currently not quite sure about the terms used. From what I can gather, exchange is through your uni but study abroad isn't? I'm probably completely wrong -- can someone clarify this for me?

Also, what's the best time to go overseas? I'm thinking 2nd year uni, or would third year be better?

Thanks in advance.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
I thought exchange and study abroad is similar in terms of doing it with the university.

But in general, exchange basically refers to a short period of time anywhere from a couple of weeks to a year where you undertake a program to go to a school/university overseas to have cultural/language studies. Your tuition fees are usually free of charge for your period of stay. Where as studying abroad basically means that going to school/university at a foreign country as a full fee paying international student (or if you're lucky, a sponsored scholarship international student), and this usually lasts for at least a year to 4 or even 5+ years doing a full course/degree at your chosen institution abroad.

I'll be going on exchange at the end of this year (my 2nd year), and I'd say timing of when you're going will completely depend on you and how prepared you are. As far as I know of, most people going on exchange are on their 3rd or 4th year of university (as they're more mature and can take care of themselves more easily), however the earliest you can apply for exchange is in your 2nd semester of the first year, so the earliest you CAN go is your 2nd semester of your 2nd year...

Hopefully that clears some things up for you.

Last edited:

Peartie

HSC
At Macquarie Study Abroad and Exchange are used interchangebly....

When you go depends on how long you degree is but I think that the most convenient time to go is the 2nd semester of your 2nd last year (ie 2nd semester 2nd year for a 3 year degree, 2nd semester 3rd year for a 4th year degree and so on).

danielak

HSC
Thanks spooacow and peartie. Both answers helped a lot.

Where are you heading to, spooacow?

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Hehe, it's 'soopacow' :p

I'll be going to Japan for a year. ^^

danielak

HSC
Ohh, my bad! My apologies, soopacow.

Wow, Japan! I'm jealous. How long have you been studying Japanese?

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
That's okai, heh.
I haven't been doing Japanese long at all. I've only started Japanese in uni. So roughly speaking, it's been a year. :p

Where are you thinking of going? :)

danielak

HSC
Everywhere! haha
If I continue/start a language in uni, I'd consider studying in that country. But for now, it's probably either the US or the UK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)