Exchange To American unis (1 Viewer)

Mikkx

HSC
Hello :)

A while ago , i've posted a thread called "American University", asking about how to get into american universities and what you need (eg, exams, marks) , and i've gotten some pretty awesome replies :) so thanks to anyone that helped .

but i'm just wondering, considering different options , if i were to start university in australia, and then transfer to an american university for like , student exchange ? :S or something, haha

would anyone be able to briefly explain the process? like , is it possible to get into an ivy uni as a transfer ? i don't know a lot about this topic, so thanks for you help !

spence

HSC
Check out the websites of the unis you're considering. They'll generally provide info on their exchange programs. And some unis will have Ivy League unis as exchange partners

Andi0390

HSC
For me the big sway would be the money. If you would be studying as an International student in an American university the tuition fees would be horrific. Exchange would allow you to use HECS (or whatever its called now) and pay only the Australian rate.

If you were to apply directly, most universities actually accept the Australian UAI or equivalent and they translate it to represent its equivalent entry in the American system. I think it would be easier to use the Australian system and go on exchange.

Each uni has different partners, if you have a particular American Uni in mind then look at its Australian exchange partners instead of going through all the Australian Unis. There may be some Ivy Legue partners but generally the Universities tend to be state ones.

The process basically is that you apply to be an exchange student within your Australian uni. Each uni has different requirements, as well as each degree having restrictions. For example with ANU you need to have 72 units (3 semesters) and have a credit average and pass an interview. They also take into account community and university involvement and such.

Once you are excepted to go on exchange I believe you apply separately to a few universities that you have in mind for exchange. Generally about a year before you plan to leave there are information nights and I imagine that they would answer your questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)