expectations... (1 Viewer)

jaaaaay

HSC
my mum was a gynocologeist, now she's a senior accountant at some expensive high-class firm... (talk about career change) my dad was also a doctor... and now he's a radiologist or something like that...

so the pressures on, to do well... and have a profession...

and plus going to a selective school, people just expect good results, even though that's not always the case... -____-;;;

anyone else with these kind of expectations? its giving me stress... so share your stories to make me feel better... lol

p.s. btw, im asian

jaaaaay

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Pressure from people at school because they're all predicting I'll be the dux and whatnot, but it's all good, I need some sort of pressure from somewhere :uhhuh: Doubt I'll get dux though :)
i suspect you must be pretty good to get that kind of prediction... =]

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Do what makes you happy. Don't let people pressure you into thinking they know what is best for you and don't feel you have to take the same path everyone else does just because it is expected.

Expectations are good but if it was me I would ignore everyone elses but my own.

My parents place no expectation nor pressure on me and it has been like that my entire education, I guess they see I have my own self direction/motivation and they leave me to my own deceives and give input whenever I come to them usually not the other way around.

Stress isn't a good thing you have to find out how to block out what other people think and expect of you. You just do the best you can that's all anyway can ask. Yes they can have expectations but if you don't succeed them they should also be supportive and know that you have put your best foot forward.

The best advice I can give is be true to yourself and do what makes you happy no matter how hard other people may push you.

I never really got the whole 'im asian' thing and how it makes a real difference or matters seems to be a big thing here on BOS. I don't think race determines your expectations/pressure although from reading posts on BOS that seems to be the opposite to what I think with many asian's having high pressure and expectations places on them but in reality you get parents like that no matter your race or socio economical stats. Must be a Sydney thing to because until I read it all on BOS I would of never knew the extent.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Well, i'm pretty sure that no-one in my family has a tertiary degree. That makes it wierd that I want a Doctorate.

My school is a public school who got 2 UAIs above 90 last year. Nothing there.

My parents don't really care, they just want me to be happy (I hope). So nothing there either.

My teachers think I can do OK - my old maths teacher thinks I can go above 95 easily, so there is a little there.

Years 7, 8, 9 and 10 i bludged my arse off and strolled through with constant 85s. My teachers told me that because of this, I never worked to my full potential and wouldn't get far because of my work ethic. There is some hope for redemption there.

In Year 7 I almost got kicked out of my school for being loud-mothed, know-it-all, smart arse, etc. My teachers were all faggots to me.
I want to take my >95 UAI and stick it in their face and prove them wrong about what they said.

I have always been understimated in my ability all of my life, so there is more motivation.

I put so much strain on myself though, maybe because no-one else does, maybe not. I have set out every plan that I want to achieve in my head and pretty much no-one excpet me knows it yet. I know I have the talent there to flog the crap out of everyone at my school and i'm tired of playing second fiddle to the harder working kids. That's my motivation and my expectation for myself. It's now or never.

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
SoulSearcher said:
Pressure from people at school because they're all predicting I'll be the dux and whatnot, but it's all good, I need some sort of pressure from somewhere :uhhuh: Doubt I'll get dux though :)
Man,in another posts you looked so confident as well
I wish i could've that confidence :(
good luck!

tigerian

HSC
N/A
jaaaaay said:
my mum was a gynocologeist, now she's a senior accountant at some expensive high-class firm... (talk about career change) my dad was also a doctor... and now he's a radiologist or something like that...

so the pressures on, to do well... and have a profession...

and plus going to a selective school, people just expect good results, even though that's not always the case... -____-;;;

anyone else with these kind of expectations? its giving me stress... so share your stories to make me feel better... lol

p.s. btw, im asian
Dont be too concerned. I am a teacher at a secondary school and I know exactly what you are saying. At a selective school not everyone can be dux but EVERYONE can get excellent marks if they are 'hungry' enough. Just because your marks are slightly less than someone else's doesnt mean you are poor. If you get 95% and someone else gets 98% is there anything wrong with your education? Of course not! If you work to your ability and you get the best possible marks you can then you are doing well and giving it your best. If you need a teacher's input or help/advice in English and Modern history please feel free to email me via my profile information.

Keep focused and do your best. Show your parents your marks and make a point of not knowing what other students are getting. That way you can be honest and tell them truthfully you dont know what marks the other students received. Just focus on yours and tell the truth

Last edited:

LatK7

HSC
Expectations. Well lets see, all my parents ask is that i try my best. They said if i got over 75 they would be extremely happy. I set the goal for 80, but as long as i get into the Uni course i want, all is good :)

m Renira

HSC
i hope i do well, my parents say they have given up, but they make me feel really really guilty when i dont study and stuff, and i feel really horrible.
i know where i want to be, and i know that i push myself a little to hard to get there
but i also know that when im there my parents will claim credit for it

they changed my school cause they didnt like my friends.
just cause my friends werent all in maths 1 or 2 in year 8
so i suppose that i really just need to relieve the stress, that would probably be why i always end up punching stuff. but now i go to a private school which i love to bits, but the public school wasnt that bad.
cant wait to leave school for good though...
only 195 days to go now...

i have high expectations for myself, noone else gives the impression that they give a shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)