Experience studying science @USYD? (1 Viewer)

Heno

HSC
Hi,
Could anyone please offer their opinion on the quality of their experiences studying science at USYD? (Science or Science (Advanced)) especially for the biology related subjects
What's the quality of the facilities like? (labs, lecture theaters, ect). also where are the labs for biology usually based? i couldn't work it out on open day.
How good were the teaching staff?? are they good teachers? care about their work ect?
did you generally enjoy studying science at usyd?

I've got to pick a college offer to accept so i sort of have to make my final university decision now!
Thanks for any help!

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Bro you should just make one thread asking about studying science at all unis

kimjuliana

HSC
The labs were pretty standard and a bit larger than the ones you're probably used to at high school. They have more sophisticated and newer equipment than high school ones.

Lecture theatres depend on timetable and can change from year to year. The ones this year weren't too bad; we ran into a couple of electrical problems at Wallace though.

Biological labs for the subjects that I did were located in the Carslaw building. Chemistry Labs were in the Chemistry Buidling. Both of these buildings are located on Eastern Avenue.

Most of the teaching staff were pretty good, if you want a more detailed review I'd suggest going to the subject review thread.

And yes, I did enjoy studying science! If you're passionate about science, I think no matter where you study you will always find a way to enjoy it! I hope this helps you :)

NB: I'm a first year student

Heno

HSC
Bro you should just make one thread asking about studying science at all unis
maybe, but I really only want to know about these two uni's so i figure its not too much trouble to do what i've done. sorry about the repetition

cheers kimjuliana

maro1

HSC
First year student here.
I've enjoyed my science experience here! Mainly because of the enthusiasm and dedication of most lecturers from the psychology, chemistry and biology departments. Most lecturers were willing to help and tried to engage us but of course there are a few lecturers that fail to engage and have difficulty explaining things (which is probably 3 lecturers that teach first year biology). But yeah, you can search this up.
I liked how some lecturers encouraged us to think critically and outside the box rather than rote learn like in high school.
There's lots of resources and help for chem and bio, and I found that really useful since I've found both to be difficult at uni - on a side note, chemistry and genetics offered revision classes during the study vacation (Y). There's also consultant times to meet up with lecturers if you need any help and online discussion forums which made things much more bearable.
Overall for the labs, I found the labs to be good enough. The first year chemistry labs are huge (probably around 50+ students in each room) and are outdated imo. The chemistry demonstrators weren't good - most of them seemed to not know what to do or didn't explain things well. Whereas the biology labs are much more smaller and newer with standard equipment. I found the biology labs to be much better since you have more 1-on-1 time with the demonstrator to ask any questions and they were really helpful.

Science should pretty much be the same at all unis but the choice is yours.
Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)