experimental design help (1 Viewer)

HSC
so basically i need to verify that my format is okay and i'm not missing anything. i've got the following headings:

Aim
Hypothesis
Materials
Method
Results
Discussion
Conclusion

have i missed anything out? it seems so short in my word processor, but i guess that's because it's basically just the method at this stage.

i've asked and answered questions according to the course outcomes on the assignment sheet. they're to do with making sure it is a fair/controlled test, and that i've undertaken steps to make sure my conclusions will be accurate/reliable. i currently have them in the discussion section, is that correct? should they be in another section/do i need a different heading for them? just wanted to be sure.

help would be much appreciated :)

forkyspoony18

HSC
you should also include a risk assessment (ie.wear safety glasses, handle chemicals with care, wear closed in shoes).
I sometimes put 'improvements/further experiments' as a separate heading, but you can put that under 'discussion'.
Also, dont forget to point out your controls and your independent/dependent variables.

I know you can also get extra points (sometimes) if you put your results in the form of a graph.

Hope this helps :)

forkyspoony18

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
i currently have them in the discussion section, is that correct? should they be in another section/do i need a different heading for them? just wanted to be sure.
I think you can put them under discussion, but you could possibly put them underneath another heading BEFORE the method something like 'research' or 'prior knowledge'. I dont think you would really loose too many marks for putting that under the wrong heading

sorry if iv just made this more confusing!:uhoh:

HSC
forkyspoony18 said:
you should also include a risk assessment (ie.wear safety glasses, handle chemicals with care, wear closed in shoes).
I sometimes put 'improvements/further experiments' as a separate heading, but you can put that under 'discussion'.
Also, dont forget to point out your controls and your independent/dependent variables.

I know you can also get extra points (sometimes) if you put your results in the form of a graph.

Hope this helps :)
i had independent/dependent variables in discussion, but risk assessment... didn't think of that... thanks! yeah, one of the things i have to observe in this is growth (plant experiments... bet i kill them or something :rolleyes: ), so i was doing to do a line growth comparing the three at the end.

no, you haven't confused me at all. thanks for the help!

EDIT: thanks shortykatt, will do. a couple of people in my year asked before, and we don't get marks added/subtracted for background knowledge or lackthereof. so i think i'll focus on doing the experiment more than research.

thanks guys!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)