Explain the use of acids (citric etc.) as food additives (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Explain the use of acids (citric etc.) as food additives, as the title says.

I've tried to research this but I don't find anything too relevant.
Are these acids added raise the vitamin content or preserve food like vinegar with pickles which contain acetic acid ? Damn I need to know more.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
Libbster said:
Hey, I did a report on this and got an A! Here is the info:

1. Identify two acids used as food additives

Two acids used as food additives are:
Phosphoric acid with formula H3PO4
Acetic acid with formula CH3COOH

2. Explain the use of these acids as food additives in their chemical properties

Phosphoric acid is used as a food additive because it is of low toxicity, it is incompatible with strong caustics and most metals, it is soluble in alcohol and hot water, the liquid can solidify at temperatures below 21 C, and it can form three series of salts: primary phosphates, dibasic phosphates and tribasic phosphates. It is also deliquescent, hygroscopic and a chelating agent.

Acetic acid, the main component of vinegar, is used in pickling vegetables, chutneys and sauces. Pure acetic acid is moderately toxic by ingestion and inhalation, but dilute material is approved by FDA for food use. Acetic acid is a general preservative that inhibits many species of bacteria, yeasts and to a lesser extent moulds. It is also a product of the lactic-acid fermentation, and its preservative action even at identical pH levels is greater than that of lactic acid. Acetic acid can also stabilise the acidity of food and at the brewery, acetic acid may be added to the malt slurry to compensate for variations in the water supply to produce a beer of consistent quality. Acetic acid is used because it is hygroscopic and it is infinitely soluble in ethyl alcohol and water. As acetic acid inhibits bacterial growth and absorbs water as well, when food is pickled, spoilage does not occur as quickly.
Dreamerish*~ said:
1. Explain the use of acids as food additives.

Acids are used as food additives for two reasons:

1. To provide a sour taste
2. To act as a preservative, as the growth of microorganisms is not favoured by an acidic environment.

Common additives include acetic acid in vinegar, and citric acid in drinks.
Tennille said:
explain means how and why. How are they used? (I wouldn't have a clue- they are just added on the food hence the name additives?). Why are they used? To stop the action of microbes which result in the deterioration of food. Acidic environments are undesirable for microbes and therefore preserve the food. Acids also produce a sharp taste making it more acceptable to the consumer. Citric acid also acts as an antioxidant, preventing the oxidation of food and therfore preserving it.
theChemCoach said:
Here are a few good reasons for acid as food additives.

They can be used to:

1). Improve the taste or appearance of a processed food.
Acids & Acidity regulators help to maintain a constant acid level in food. This is important for taste, as well as to influence how other substances in the food function. For example, an acidified food can retard the growth of some micro-organisms
Acidity regulator (270) - lactic acid
Acidity regulator (260) - acetic acid, glacial

2). Improve the keeping quality or stability of a food.

3). Preserve food when this is the most practical way of extending its storage life. For example, sulphur dioxide - preservative (220) - is added to some meat products such as sausage meat to prevent microbial growth.
(this is usually the most emphasised point, and SO(2) is a great example to learn)

All information comes from FSANZ (Food Standards of Australia & New Zealand).

Best of Luck in your HSC,
George
xrtzx said:
heres what i got

Citric & tartaric acids are often added to jam to give a sharp taste. There acidity also prevents the growth of microorganisms
Acetic acid in vinegar heaps preserve chutneys
Acidic sulfur dioxide is used in dried fruit and white wine to stop attacks from microbes.
Ascorbic acid is an antioxidation thus is added to food to prevent spoilage by oxidation.

mainly food additives help preserve food due to the short life of it.
They're all along the same lines. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)