Explicit pamphlets displayed at school (1 Viewer)

Dustin_z

HSC
Explicit pamphlets displayed at school
Health center regrets mistake
By Joanna Weiss, Globe Staff | May 19, 2005

A community health organization apologized yesterday for bringing a sexually explicit pamphlet for young gay men to a recent conference at Brookline High School on gay and lesbian issues that was attended by high school and middle school students.

Fenway Community Health officials yesterday said they left about 10 copies of the ''Little Black Book" on an informational table they rented at a conference sponsored by the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network of Boston. The annual event, held on April 30 at Brookline High School, was aimed at high school students, educators, counselors, administrators, and parents.

The ''Little Black Book," produced by the AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts, is targeted at 18-and-older gay men, according to the committee. The book uses vivid descriptions and colloquial terms to describe the ways HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases can be prevented and spread.

You can view the contents of the pamphlet at this link:
http://www.article8.org/docs/news_events/glsen_043005/black_book/black_book_inside.htm (WARNING: Pamphlet is graphic)

FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.boston.com/news/..../explicit_pamphlets_displayed_at_school/

--------

I THINK THIS PAMPHLET IS DISGUSTING AND WHO EVER CREATED IT SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELF.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Why whilst it uses confrontational language it gets the point across. This is intentional and is about trying (however poorly) to relate to 'the generation (of glq's) today.

There is nothing any 'wronger' about this than there is about PE teachers poor attempts to be 'hip' when giving a class the 'lowdown'.

So how about you go somewhere else to vent your homophobia. Oh and a quick psychoanalysis (sorry it incudes the word 'anal') of you would likley conclude denial/repression of feelings toward other men (assuming you're a man).

Dustin_z

HSC
You dont teach grade 6 students about FISTING. Fisting is dangerous and can cause permanent damage.

And what is that crap about 'watersports'?, that aint making love.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
hahahaha

i know its a serious concern and stuff and i'd usually reply in an intellectual way, but for now...

hahahaha.

i did NOT see this coming.

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
Dustin_z said:
Explicit pamphlets displayed at school
Health center regrets mistake
By Joanna Weiss, Globe Staff | May 19, 2005

A community health organization apologized yesterday for bringing a sexually explicit pamphlet for young gay men to a recent conference at Brookline High School on gay and lesbian issues that was attended by high school and middle school students.

Fenway Community Health officials yesterday said they left about 10 copies of the ''Little Black Book" on an informational table they rented at a conference sponsored by the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network of Boston. The annual event, held on April 30 at Brookline High School, was aimed at high school students, educators, counselors, administrators, and parents.

The ''Little Black Book," produced by the AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts, is targeted at 18-and-older gay men, according to the committee. The book uses vivid descriptions and colloquial terms to describe the ways HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases can be prevented and spread.

You can view the contents of the pamphlet at this link:
http://www.article8.org/docs/news_events/glsen_043005/black_book/black_book_inside.htm (WARNING: Pamphlet is graphic)

FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.boston.com/news/..../explicit_pamphlets_displayed_at_school/

--------

I THINK THIS PAMPHLET IS DISGUSTING AND WHO EVER CREATED IT SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELF.
i don't think its appropriate for those children under 18,
but it has its place for those needing the info...

though would you be so pissed off if it was a pamphlet aimed at straight men?

Dustin_z

HSC
I think its disgusting whether its for queers or heterosexuals.

The language in it is disgusting, the graphical images are disgusting and the information on FISTING, PISSING ON OTHERS, LICKING OTHER PEOPLES ANUS is just wrong.

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
And we all give stuff like THAT to middle-school aged kids.

What is WRONG with those people? True, they need to educate kids somehow, and let them know that homosexuality is alright, but honestly. They couldn't have done it in a better way?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Stupid americans and their sex ed.

If I discovered a cure for aids, I'd destroy it. If it weren't for aids, we'd have a lot more gays in the world.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
The Alliance 8 people appear to be fundementalist homophobes. That's kinda obvious on their site, with the whole 'gay people are trying to corrupt and sodomise our children' theme. Still, if the pamphlets are authentic, then the people who made them should really have alot to answer for. That stuff is really not appropriate. At least make it dry and non-explict. I mean, the sex ed I got at school was nowhere as graphic, rather abstracted cartoons.

Of course, I can't really say this without a hypocrite, as I rather enjoy relaxing home alone with a Jenna Jameson DVD. Still, none of that pamphlet was appropriate. If you want to teach a bunch of kids how not to get a debilitating disease, you can do it with far more tactful methods.

Generator

HSC
N/A
What is wrong with the pamphlet? The manner in which it was displayed may be questionable (it being geared towards men over the age of 18, after all), but the pamphlet itself? Besides, the group responsible for the mistake apologised, so it's now a non-issue, or at least that's what it should be.

Then again, following on from that 'abstinence is the way to go, condoms always break' initiative launched by the Bush administration, I guess that such an issue will forever be contested, no matter how innocent the mistake and how worthwhile the document may be for its intended audience.

Edit: Luckily for us, such issues aren't that common given the largely progressive (or relatively progressive) sex ed initiatives of the state governments.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
When are they going to start teaching that being gay is wrong and unacceptable.
That is what we really need in schools.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
iamsickofyear12 said:
When are they going to start teaching that being gay is wrong and unacceptable.
That is what we really need in schools.
no, no we dont, we need 2 teach people not to acknowledge, respect or listen 2 people like you, u fucked up disgusting foul biggot, no good nothing scum of a human being

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
townie said:
no, no we dont, we need 2 teach people not to acknowledge, respect or listen 2 people like you, u fucked up disgusting foul biggot, no good nothing scum of a human being
i second that! :D

Vahl

HSC
What is wrong with these people?

There is NOTHING WRONG with this pamphlet

It doesn't encourage kids to do anything harmful. Just to play safe

Graphic portrayal of sex and sex acts is positive and it is regrettable that out society is still so afraid of openly discussing such issues.

There is nothing wrong with sex. There is nothing wrong with talking about sex. In fact, I feel like a better person for reading this article. I now have a better understanding of acts like fisting, rimming, and piss play. Portrayed in a positive light, this knowledge defeats the ignorance that may have lead to prejudice. Thanks Black Book.

This article reminds me of one in todays paper... NSW education minister removes pro gay classroom activity. Ahhhghhh

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
Vahl3 said:
What is wrong with these people?

There is NOTHING WRONG with this pamphlet

It doesn't encourage kids to do anything harmful. Just to play safe

Graphic portrayal of sex and sex acts is positive and it is regrettable that out society is still so afraid of openly discussing such issues.

There is nothing wrong with sex. There is nothing wrong with talking about sex. In fact, I feel like a better person for reading this article. I now have a better understanding of acts like fisting, rimming, and piss play. Portrayed in a positive light, this knowledge defeats the ignorance that may have lead to prejudice. Thanks Black Book.

This article reminds me of one in todays paper... NSW education minister removes pro gay classroom activity. Ahhhghhh
i agree that the pamphlet is good and has its place it is good that it informs people and helps stop prejudice

but that place is not in high schools being displayed to children under 18 (and yes if you are under 18 you are legally a child)

:)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The irony is that this uses some of the same shock tactics as the 'shock-jocks' deriding it.

Yes it is confrontational thats to get peoples attention - the youth of today are jaded by sex-ed. How seriously did you take the stylised cartoons of sex ed? How seriously did you take that leaflet? How seriously did I take actually seeing a testicular exam (on a video - before anyone makes another homophobic remark)???

Ponder that.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I protest at having this rammed down my throat.

(Well not really, I just saw the gag)

Edit: i welcome you to further see the gag of gag.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Sally Turner, 73, of Carlisle, an Article 8 Alliance supporter who attended the conference, said she picked up literature from each of the tables, and didn't examine it until hours later. ''I looked at it at home and I was a little bit astonished by what I had," she said.
At 73 she would be disturbed by anything that mentioned the word sex.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I think that, whilst it is necessary to educate children about sexuality, it shouldn't be done in such a graphic manner. It's pointless. Some of you may see it as 'telling it like it is', but do kids really need to know about anal fisting?

And as an aside: "how safe is dat" ? Please, I know they're trying to be 'hip' and 'with it', but such murder of the English language is nothing more than a disservice to school kids.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)