co+ca

i did
english avd
english ext1
english ext 2
drama
society and culture
ancient history
i dropped maths when i picked up ext 2 cos im hopeless at maths and i figured i could get by on 10 units. not so sure now though, maybe it would have been good as a safety net but not much i can do about it now

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Thanks for that grk, I've called up the Department of Education and the dude there is good friends with the deputy principal of hurlstone, so he said he'll have a chat with her and see if she'll accept me. Bad thing is, the only way I can get to Hurlstone is a half hour bike ride until I get my P's in April, so for a few months I'll be in a bit of trouble. But, by the sounds of it, I should be in.

Thanks for all your help everybody, it's helped me make a more informed decision. Cheers, I'll buy you all a beer when I'm old enough :p.

HSC
N/A
The first few months aren't all that bad - and besides, you can probably do a lot of it via correspondance -even e-mail! :D The beautiful structure of EE2... Weekly check-ups :D

For Yr 11 I did:

PD/H/PE
Textiles and Design
Eng Adv
Eng Ext 1
Maths Adv
Maths Ext 1
Ancient History
(12 Units)

~I dropped PDHPE compeltely because I found I hated it. I also dropped from 3U Maths to General because I was failing majorly. I'd always planned to drop the extension anyway, but first day of 2U - Simpson's rule derivative, so I high-tailed it to general! I also picked up EE2~

Yr 12
Textiles and Design
Eng Adv
Eng Ext 1
Eng Ext 2
General Maths
Ancient History
(10 Units)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
taxman said:
Alright, I have a few questions to ask.

Is it possible to take on 4 U at another school? I know ext. Histry from my school are doing it at Hurlstone Ag.

Also, what did u guys do with ur other subjects once u picked up the extra unit of english? Did u drop two subjects to bring it down to 10 Units, just one subject, or did u do 13 Units?

The subjects I do are:
English (Adv + Extension 1 [and trying to convince my school to let me take on Ext 2])
Chem
PDHPE
Drama
IPT (Curse and devils!)
General Maths

I really want to drop IPT...but Maths is one which I dont really need since I'm looking at becoming an english teacher after school.

So basically, gimme the goss on what you guys did with ur subjects...please. Pretty please. Pretty please with Thom Yorke on top.

i am doing 13 units
but i dropped chem cause i would have had 15, cause ia lso picked up histoiry extn and maths extn 2 in yr 12
so i went up 3 and down 2

up 1 net overall

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
grk_styl said:
hey my personal opinion....if ur doing english teaching next yr (which i am going to do too) dont drop maths, because many unis require u to do ANY 2 units of maths, so u dont wanna be doing a bridging course.
thats all very well and good not to have to do a bridging course... but surely if ENGLISH teaching is what you want to do and maths is something which you aren't very good at/don't like it would make more sense to fo a 4 week bridging course then to suffer at school for the whole year?

HSC
N/A
I'd go for that too.

In this sort of situation, do the courses you'll never get to do again. You won't be able to do fun things like EE2 at Uni (well maybe, but with a lot more restrictions/guidelines), so do it now!

aud

HSC
Year 11:
- 3U Eng
- 3U Maths
- Legal
- Society & Culture
- Textiles & Design
So I got a line of frees... :D

Year 12: (started with)
- 4U Eng
- 4U Maths
- Legal
- Textiles & Design
Dropped S&C because of the class/teacher, not the content, and that pretty much locked me in. I had to drop EE2 a few weeks before it was due though, cause I had my MW for Textiles due at the same time, and they weren't both going to get done... yea, as much as I don't like the at least 4 subjects rule, I would have been in a deep, deep coma otherwise...

HSC
N/A
hahaha I did the EE2, just finished the textiles major work by the skin of my teeth but totally screwed up the Supporting Documentation

i guess we all have to make sacrifices somewhere... plus I was only doing 10 units... man, I'm not going to get anything higher than a Band 4 for Textiles now :'(

J

jhakka

Year 11:

Advanced English (2)
English Extension 1 (1)
Mathematics (2)
Information Processes and Technology (2)
Society and Culture (2)
Ancient History (2)
Psychology (1)

Year 12:

Advanced English (2)
English Extension 1 (1)
English Extension 2 (1)
Mathematics (2)
Information Processes and Technology (2)
Society and Culture (2)
Ancient History (2)

Shoulda done Physics instead of Ancient, and Maths Extension 1 just for the hell of it. :|

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
ujuphleg said:
thats all very well and good not to have to do a bridging course... but surely if ENGLISH teaching is what you want to do and maths is something which you aren't very good at/don't like it would make more sense to fo a 4 week bridging course then to suffer at school for the whole year?
um yes i can understand where you're coming from. However, IF you are ok at maths and you know u can do ok/good at it, then it's better to take during school. But yes, i do agree with u that if u arent doing well at it, then bridging courses might help. it wholly depends on the person and their capabilities :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)