Ext 2 English + Ext 2 Maths?? (1 Viewer)

korry

HSC
N/A
I do both and I reckon its alright.

You dont have to be way at the top of your grade in adv and ext 1 eng to do ext 2, but with that in mind you also have to do fairly well because it is meant to be an extension on what you do in adv or ext 1..oh and another thing, make sure you do something you LIKE..otherwise you just lose interest/motivation

like other people have said eng ext 2 is more something which you're interested in, so its not really work work. Another good thing about it is that its all over and done with by August

but yeah maths ext 2 takes up loads of your time so when you're deciding just keep in mind the workload

Last edited:

zerzillia

Originally posted by pcx_demolition017
Is there anybody here who's doing Ext 2 Maths & English.......I just want to know.....is there stacks of work involved if you do both?? (I'm only in Yr 11......so I'm looking way into the future).......

One other thing......with Ext 2 English......do you have to be really freaky at English (ie get 98 in Advanced and 96 in Ext 1 ) to do it??? Or is it more of a subject of personal expression, rather than vocabulary and complexity?
i am doing both! if you want more info, just ask me!

i am doing maths4u now and i really hate it. i guess i am an english person (lol, not english britain, but english language). maths4u is really hard so my advice is to do maths4u only if you're good at maths. (and i mean good).

doing maths4u consumes so much time for me, i am really in trouble right now! english4u in comparison has much less workload but it is *very* independent. ie. no one will tell you what to do. you're not even given a task! you can do no work at all or you can do your own thing. which is good because i am going alright in eng4u. the only thing that freaks me out is how good people in my class write. i know you're not meant to compare with others but their language skills are much better than mine.

i can tell you for sure that you don't have to be great in eng2u or eng3u to do both! (tho you do have to be good in maths2/3 to do maths4). i am not good in eng3u (getting bad results) but i am alright in eng2. eng4u doesn't really make you better in eng3u or eng2u unless you're doing critical response (i am doing short stories).

The girls in my class are way out of my league if you're talking about vocabulary. I am not sure about complexity (since my plot is kinda complex). But what i know is that, my teacher said i could do eng4u because i am good at creative writing (i am not boasting, i suck at eng2u and eng3u since they're not concentrating on creative!)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
I do both.

Contrary to popular opinion/belief, I believe that the workload is NOT extraordinarily high.

imho, its just the same as doing any other subject.
depends on how you approach it, thats all.

I mean, heck, how can you say that EE2 takes a hell of a lot of time? :-\ I do short stories, and for me, it doesn't. My research, reading books, is fun and enjoyable, and its not very tiring/time consuming.

Maths ext 2, though, :) is a totally different story. Time consuming? Hell yeah!
But then, its worth it. And not just UAI wise. Its interesting, i reckon, although slightly hard. Well, okay, its insanely hard. :D

And ext eng 2 is not like other subjects. Its supposed to be different, you do whatever the hell you want. Freedom. Its rewarding, like 4u maths, and very much enjoyable.

However, on the whole, I advise you do whatever the hell you LIKE doing. Don't take anyone else's advice. If you want to do 4+4, do it. If you don't like it, you'll be doing 12 units anyway, drop one or both.
Its YOUR life. Get advice. Don't make your choice on other's advice. Consider advice, but do what you think is best. what you feel like doing.
:) :)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Yea what he said... the workload isnt superhigh cos EE2 has a workload of potentially 0.01% depending on how srsly u take it.

And keep in mind htat ppl that do both (i.e. me) arent super special or something... like, I'm topping all units of maths, but am coming below average for all units of English, see :)

I think Orange Council is the reverse :D (sry mate)

frazzle

HSC
i don't know about ext 2 maths, but i'd say with ext 2 english, it's more about your creativity than huge vocabulary or whatever, although you do need to be able to write "with flair".

personally, i'm wouldn't say i'm really good at english. i do enjoy it though. i'm doing ext 2 for the creative aspect (i'm making a film),

J

jhakka

I'm too scared to do Ext 1 Maths... so Ext 2 Maths alone is crazy, let alone with Ext 2 English.

Giant Lobster

HSC
yeh its teh crazy part i was attracted to :)
and im sure its the case for others like me

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
And keep in mind htat ppl that do both (i.e. me) arent super special or something... like, I'm topping all units of maths, but am coming below average for all units of English, see :)

I think Orange Council is the reverse :D (sry mate)
What makes you say that?
:)

Your right, to an extent. Although I'm a fair bit above average in 3u maths, 4u maths, 3u eng AND 4u eng, I'm not mathematically minded. More creative.

Astute, aren't you? How'd you come to your conclusion?

Z

Zeitgeist

I just got my half-yearly results:

English: 59%, Average: 68%, Rank: 45/60
E Eng.: 80%, Average: 68%, Rank: 2/19
Maths: 88%, Average: 68%, Rank: 4/45
E Maths: 92%, Average: 66%, Rank: 1/17

Um... does anybody have ANY clue on what I should do? Should I do Extension 2 English or not? =/

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Zeitgeist said:
I just got my half-yearly results:

English: 59%, Average: 68%, Rank: 45/60
E Eng.: 80%, Average: 68%, Rank: 2/19
Maths: 88%, Average: 68%, Rank: 4/45
E Maths: 92%, Average: 66%, Rank: 1/17

Um... does anybody have ANY clue on what I should do? Should I do Extension 2 English or not? =/
Okay, well your adv. mark isnt amazing, but your Ext one is really good. I'd say do both, you obviously have a natural ability in maths so 4u should be a definate!

Like I said your Ext Eng. mark is excellent, so another unit of english should balance out a below average advanced mark! Personally: Im doing best in 4u, then 3u then adv. adv is a diff. type of english. I'd say do it, If you don't like it, you can always drop it!

skazmonger

Crunch!
HSC
I do both.

I enjoy ME2. I think it might have something to do with the fact I'm topping it (or at least was last time I checked... but anything can happen). But nah... we worked on the teacher a bit and convinced her that we were doing excessive amounts of homework, so we get cutdowns of cutdowns of cutdowns (I think), and are told if it looks like we're going to do more than 5 hours, to start skipping questions.
The concepts are the trickiest. Once you've got them, it's learning all the little tricks to get through the exams easier that is the hard bit, and the bit I have most trouble with.

EE2 though... I find it hard to motivate myself, there's no assignment that *has* to be done, I'm not going to be put on detention for not doing the work... I find it much harder. And more time consuming because I have to arse around with computers to do mine. I used to think I was an ace web designer, but no longer.

So yeah. If you think you're up for it, totally do both. It's fun and people automatically assume your smart when you tell them you do both. And you can always drop a unit or two here or there, because as someone already said, doing both means you HAVE to do 12 units to fulfil BOS subject requirements.

Edit: By the way, Zeitgeist - awesome knot you've got there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)