Ext 2 English (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
Everyone who was in the paper under the English Extension 2 heading (for top of the state). I think there were about 10-15.
so was that really it? i know i wasnt in there cos i asked for my name not to be published, but was that seriously how many ppl got it in the ENTIRE state? i thought it would be more for some reason??

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
they CANNOT mark one medium harder than the other. it is simply unfair and they would not get away with it. they give juvenile short stories and critical responses poor marks - and by the same token, they give juvenile poetry poor marks too. it just so happens that there is a lot more of it...

[truncated by me so that I can quote it without taking up too much space!] :D

:eek:

wow! are you an Extension 2 marker in disguise??

-------------------------------------------------------
I think I agree with you that they are unlikely to mark one medium harder than the other. I guess with each medium, they have specific guidelines that they followed (because of that, I am very interested in reading the notes from the marking centre). Personally, I think that poetry is a very hard medium to master. I guess what the markers looking for are 'conceits', 'paradox' and more complicated techniques. :(

I am in no position to judge Braindrainedash's work but I quite like it. Perhaps this is because her poetry is written for audiences like us and because of that, we can easily relate to it.

Last edited:

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
were all of them equal first- getting a certificate and all that?

edit: sheathe the claws, kids

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I appreciate your honest feedback spin spin, and I will admit that midway through my major work I really began to have serious doubts about it... I do see the same faults in it that you have mentioned, but it got to the stage where there was no going back... The only reason I am pursuing this protest thing is due to the urging of my teachers as I said earlier... I was dissapointed with my major work mark (and actually my HSC results as a whole) and it was difficult to deal with a whole year of struggle culminating in results that I personally found mediocre and a UAI which was below my goals, as well as my personal expectations and the expectations of others around me, and it has left me in a rather uncertain position. Not to mention the "is that all you got" army making me more disheartened over the past few weeks...

Anyway, after the 19th of Jan I won't give a shit about my MW mark as long as I get in to my course....

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i hope everything goes well for you...and its sad to see how your work is much underappreciated by the mark it got.... but i hope u get over it.. cuz thinking abt it will just make u even most upset...and thatz not gonna help u to move on and think abt the next step.

luv lin

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
so was that really it? i know i wasnt in there cos i asked for my name not to be published, but was that seriously how many ppl got it in the ENTIRE state? i thought it would be more for some reason??
How come it didn't list yr school? (or did it?)
Mum was looking at the paper and she saw 'name undisclosed' for the GRC allrounders and said "who's that?" and I was like, duh, Grace,-- so how come it was different (i.e., didn't even list yr school) for the top-in-state things?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by gloria*
How come it didn't list yr school? (or did it?)
Mum was looking at the paper and she saw 'name undisclosed' for the GRC allrounders and said "who's that?" and I was like, duh, Grace,-- so how come it was different (i.e., didn't even list yr school) for the top-in-state things?
*shrug* i have no idea, maybe they didnt want to use up the space. my whole family hated me for doing it, but im glad i did.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
my whole family hated me for doing it, but im glad i did.
Because getting public credit for outstanding results is just, like, totally awful. :)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by gloria*
Because getting public credit for outstanding results is just, like, totally awful. :)
no, because i had countless randoms smsing me for days, adding me to msn, emailing, asking me what my marks were and if i screwed up because i wasnt in the paper. thats why i didnt want to be in there... cos i knew fuckwits from st george would look everyone up that theyve ever met and compare themselves to them. the people who actually count were always going to find out my marks anyway.

Classic

It's extremely interesting reading many of your comments, particularly yours, spin. Indeed my eyes have been widened - (not opened as they were never closed) to the fact that there are many a young literary genius among us. Obviously, these students were the more deserving of high marks in this course and I am biting at the bit to view poetry that achieved a mark of 50. In order to understand my flaws, I need to compare my work with these masterpieces of literature. I thank you for your comments, Spin - however I do want to highlight the fact that not all students who did poetry and achieved a lower mark necassarily wrote cliche teenage drivel. Indeed, I set out to avoid this - I did nature poetry. Therefore, as you also stated, my flaws must lie in my technique. I never once contemplated blaming 'bias' markers (if there is such a thing) for my sub-par mark - as was previously inferred. I take much of your advice with interest and I agree with the fact that a lower mark for poetry most probably was owed to a lack of maturity - not so much in age, but in regard to literature and the reading and thorough appreciation of poetry of all different genres and styles. Perhaps this is also an area I find myself lacking in now - and your comments have made me realise this. Thankyou.

sugared plum

HSC
i know i wasnt in there cos i asked for my name not to be published,
they published 'name not disclosed' under music 2 in the smh, someone from school told me.

Winston

HSC
why wouldn't you want your name published?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by sugared plum
they published 'name not disclosed' under music 2 in the smh, someone from school told me.
well if you guys dont believe me i can print screen my ext 2 mark. they also printed your name elsewhere, didnt they? they didnt seem exactly consistent with any of it

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
so no one thinks im lying :rolleyes:

I doubt anyone thought you were lying, spinbrain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)