• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ext 2 Random Questions. (1 Viewer)

conics2008

HSC
Hi, I was just wonderin where can I find Random ( hard, I mean really hard ) TOPIC BY TOPIC Ext 2 / Ext 1 Books/ papers etc etc on the net or shops.

I currently have Fitzpatrick ( for babies ) and Cambridge ( ?? )..

I find these two books not good enough some how, I dont know why, like i can do all the question but non of them make me THINK...

Any help will do Thanks.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
There is a book out there (forgot the name) that lists all past HSC questions in order of topic and answers to those questions.
Otherwise just browse the resource section for past CSSA questions by topic.

m&ss2008

HSC
Trebla said:
There is a book out there (forgot the name) that lists all past HSC questions in order of topic and answers to those questions.
Otherwise just browse the resource section for past CSSA questions by topic.
do you mean Success One? or am i thinking of something else?

HSC
i think you mean the phoenix exam questions by topic?
its got like a blue cover
yeah thats a god book

Affinity

HSC
oh you want hard questions? thats easy:

(polynomials)
x^3 - x^2 -ax - b = 0 has 3 positive roots prove that x^3 -x^2 + bx + a = 0 has 1 positive root and 2 complex roots

prove that log_a(x) cannot be written as the quotient of 2 polynomials with real coefficients

find all polynomials with possibly complex coefficients satisfying p(x^2)-p(x)p(x+1) = 0

(conics)
given ellipse x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2=1 a find the area of the elliptical sector define by the piece bounded by the ellipse and lines joining points (acos(t),bsin(t)) (acos(u),bsin(u)) to the focus S(ae,0)

(Mechanics)
A rocket accelerates itself by shooting out gases at the rate of m kilograms per sectond at a velocity of v relative to the rocket, if the mass of the rocket is M and initially it carries F kilograms of fuel and it's initial velocity is V, find the distance travelled in time T and it's terminal speed after all fuel has been burnt.

At any time, a particle at position (x,y) is subjected to acceleration of magnitude 10/(x^2 + y^2) towards the origin. initially it is at position (5,0) with velocity sqrt(3) upwards, describe the locus of such particle's path

(counting)
Given n colours, how many different ways can you colour the faces of a cube? two colouring are considered identical if one can rotate one into the other.

(inequality)
It is known that for a certain function f,
f(ua + (1-u)b) >= uf(a) + (1-u)f(b) for all u between 0 and 1 and all a,b.

prove that:

f(u_1 a_1 + u_2 a_2 + ... + u_n a_n) >= u_1 f(a_1) + u_2 f(a_2) + ... + u_n f(a_n)
where u_i are positive and u_i sum to 1.

It is known that f(x) = x^a where 0<a<1 and x>0 has the property.

hence derive that for 1/p + 1/q = 1, p,q positive

(a_1 b_1 + a_2 b_2 + ... + a_n b_n) <= (a_1^p + a_2^p + ...+ a_n^p)^(1/p) * (b_1^q + b_2^q + ... +b_n^q)^(1/q)

for positive a's and b's.

hence show that

(a_1^p + a_2^p + ...+ a_n^p)^(1/p) + (b_1^p + b_2^p + ...+ b_n^p)^(1/p) >=
((a_1+b_1)^p + (a_2+b_2)^p + ...+ (a_n+b_n)^p)^(1/p) for p>=1

(geometry)

Show that the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent
do the same for the medians
and the perpendicular bisector os sides.
now show the the 3 points where the lines meet are colinear.

ABC is a triangle. D,E lies on side BC, F,G lies on CA and H,I lies on AB.

angle BAD = angle CAE
angle CBF = angle ABG
angle ACH = andgle BCI

prove that if AD,BF and CH are concurrent, then so are AE BG and CI

I will post some more when you finish these ones

Last edited:

conics2008

HSC
Affinity said:
oh you want hard questions? thats easy:

(polynomials)
x^3 - x^2 -ax - b = 0 has 3 positive roots prove that x^3 -x^2 + bx + a = 0 has 1 positive root and 2 complex roots

prove that log_a(x) cannot be written as the quotient of 2 polynomials with real coefficients

find all polynomials with possibly complex coefficients satisfying p(x^2)-p(x)p(x+1) = 0

(conics)
given ellipse x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2=1 a find the area of the elliptical sector define by the piece bounded by the ellipse and lines joining points (acos(t),bsin(t)) (acos(u),bsin(u)) to the focus S(ae,0)

(Mechanics)
A rocket accelerates itself by shooting out gases at the rate of m kilograms per sectond at a velocity of v relative to the rocket, if the mass of the rocket is M and initially it carries F kilograms of fuel and it's initial velocity is V, find the distance travelled in time T and it's terminal speed after all fuel has been burnt.

At any time, a particle at position (x,y) is subjected to acceleration of magnitude 10/(x^2 + y^2) towards the origin. initially it is at position (5,0) with velocity sqrt(3) upwards, describe the locus of such particle's path

(counting)
Given n colours, how many different ways can you colour the faces of a cube? two colouring are considered identical if one can rotate one into the other.

(inequality)
It is known that for a certain function f,
f(ua + (1-u)b) >= uf(a) + (1-u)f(b) for all u between 0 and 1 and all a,b.

prove that:

f(u_1 a_1 + u_2 a_2 + ... + u_n a_n) >= u_1 f(a_1) + u_2 f(a_2) + ... + u_n f(a_n)
where u_i are positive and u_i sum to 1.

It is known that f(x) = x^a where a>1 and x>0 has the property.

hence derive that for 1/p + 1/q = 1, p,q positive

(a_1 b_1 + a_2 b_2 + ... + a_n b_n) <= (a_1^p + a_2^p + ...+ a_n^p)^(1/p) * (b_1^q + b_2^q + ... +b_n^q)^(1/q)

for positive a's and b's.

hence show that

(a_1^p + a_2^p + ...+ a_n^p)^(1/p) + (b_1^p + b_2^p + ...+ b_n^p)^(1/p) >=
((a_1+b_1)^p + (a_2+b_2)^p + ...+ (a_n+b_n)^p)^(1/p) for p>=1

(geometry)

Show that the altitudes of a triangle are concurrent
do the same for the medians
and the perpendicular bisector os sides.
now show the the 3 points where the lines meet are colinear.

ABC is a triangle. D,E lies on side BC, F,G lies on CA and H,I lies on AB.

angle BAD = angle CAE
angle CBF = angle ABG
angle ACH = andgle BCI

prove that if AD,BF and CH are concurrent, then so are AE BG and CI

I will post some more when you finish these ones
ok i did that poly question, conics they were pretty straight forward i havn't done the rest yet... why not post some on these topics.

Integration, conics, graphs,complex numbers !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
conics2008 said:
ok i did that poly question, conics they were pretty straight forward i havn't done the rest yet... why not post some on these topics.

Why would you insult someone who just fulfilled your request?

ngogiathuan

HSC
conics2008 said:

Im pretty sure that he spent quite some time typing that one up for u, yet ur reply is not very nice to see.
I hate cocky people btw

m&ss2008

HSC
i agree, even if you're the hot favourite to be placed 1st in 4 unit for the HSC you should still have manners. be modest, or at least say thankyou

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
m&ss2008 said:
i agree, even if you're the hot favourite to be placed 1st in 4 unit for the HSC you should still have manners. be modest, or at least say thankyou
The funny thing is, the way he posts on this forum, ignoring his attitude, indicates he's pretty average at 4u maths.

vds700

HSC
conics2008 said:

how about saying thankyou and attempt all the questions that guy put alot of effort into typing up for you, instead of just demanding more.

conics2008

HSC
I haven't even done those topics, so i woudn't have a clue about them... plus read my question it wasn't even answerin the question. ill say thanks but no thanks, i think he/she wanted to show off.. sorry but thats the way i see it.

ohh well, what the heck... and sildey if you think 1st with 90+ is average i suggest you do some research.. thank you all =)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
conics2008 said:
I haven't even done those topics, so i woudn't have a clue about them... plus read my question it wasn't even answerin the question. ill say thanks but no thanks, i think he/she wanted to show off.. sorry but thats the way i see it.

ohh well, what the heck... and sildey if you think 1st with 90+ is average i suggest you do some research.. thank you all =)
So by definition whoever posts maths questions is showing off?

Mate, with all your braggnig about how "everythings easy" and you've "done all the questions", it's pretty sad that you get some of the easy ones wrong.

You can come first with 90+, but achieve a state ranking then talk shit to Slidey or Affinity, who would both rip you at Mathematics.

conics2008

HSC
amused you said maths, i never said anything about maths, i was talking about average .. see you guys make the most stupid assumption i ever seen, its like you talk with your mouths closed.

P

pLuvia

I suggest you try being a little more thankful to people who help you even in the slightest manner. Even if Affinity didn't directly answer your question he did find questions for you to do whether they be easy or hard, it's up to you.

And also imo, 90+ can be achieved by anyone if the exams are easy so for your own benefit in the future boasting will just make things worse for you

To answer your question check out Terry Lee's textbook for HSC level, or if you want a challenge find some uni level textbooks
OR
check out these threads
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=92176
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=109188&highlight=flex+your+maths+muscles

Try doing the questions without looking at the answers

vds700

HSC
conics2008 said:

omg for fucks sake, u wanted random hard questions, thas what u got.

If you're gonna post threads asking for help, then abuse people who try to help u, then u can seriously just fuck off

Affinity

HSC
Conics2008,

Look mate, I don't gain any satisfaction from showing off in this forum. It will just be like you showing off to year 6 kids.. would you feel good from that?

On another point I suggest that you conduct some self reflection, perhaps the stress is coming up to you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)