Ext Eng v Ext Maths: Prestige and Potential (1 Viewer)

mnk63

HSC
Hi all,

I've noticed that Extension (3/4 unit) Maths subjects usually get a lot more attention and 'prestige' placed upon them than their English counterparts. In particular, I've observed that students tend to strive to maximize their potential when selecting their chosen level of maths, whereas a large proportion of able students don't always take 3/4 unit English, even if their skills are at that level.

As someone who's taking both Extension English and Maths, I'm curious to know why this appears to be the case.

Simorgh

HSC
Who seriously cares about prestige and attention? A lot people care more about the prestige of a subject than actually doing well in.

si2136

HSC
N/A
I can definitely see the 'prestige' that comes with 4U Maths. It seems to be like if you don't choose 4U maths, you get looked down upon. However, not everyone doing 4U gets E4 (Band 6), so it would've been better if the person did 3U and 2U, securing B6. Most people choose 4U because it scales good or they get a good reputation, but they would need to do good for it to account to scaling.

Actually, 3/4 Unit English is really advantageous because it's the best 2 units that count, and 3/4 U scales better than Advanced/Standard. Also, it allows students to do 12 units if they plan on doing 4 subjects, 4 Maths, 4 English, Another Subj 1, Another Subj 2.

k_2017

HSC
I am taking 3U Maths and for a long while almost picked up 3U English.. The way I see it English is quite subjective and I didn't feel confident that I would achieve decent results.. however with maths you know that if you put the time and effort into more units you will be rewarded. Now I have 13 units and will drop art (which is in no way a content heavy subject for me) as soon as I can.. happy with taking 11 units into the HSC :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)