Ext. History 2010 - Should I? (1 Viewer)

Lowell

HSC
Hi there -

I'm currently really troubled about whether to do History Ext. next year.

I think I'd really enjoy the course, and it'd be great on my transcript to apply to do Political Economics at UK/US universities (which is my aim).

The only thing is, firstly, I'm already on 12 Units, and I've been told History Ext. is more like 1.5 units of work rather than 1 - would it be too much work? (Keeping in mind I'm aiming for a 98.5, and already do 3U Eng and 3U Maths).

Secondly, most of the Year 12s who did it this year have said DON'T DO IT (I'm assuming on the basis that it's a load of work). My school is Top 10 so I don't think it's a matter of them being lazy.

I do pretty well in Modern - generally get A-Range in all our assessments.

Your thoughts?

:)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I'm in the same situation.

I'm planning to drop Chemistry for 4 unit Maths and History Extension next year, but 12 units will definitely be a bit too much.

Yep, you are right. All the year 12's at my school say that History Extension should be worth 2 units rather than 1. There is a lot of dedication + work involved. It's like a major work + a three hour exam.

You would be able to get 98.5 with the subjects you currently have. history Extension will not do much for scaling.

If you're getting A's in Modern, it wouldn't hurt to give History Extension a try. Try it for a term and drop it if you can't handle the work load.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
If you are doing History Extension because you think it scales well, it is probably not a wise choice for it. Do it only if you are really passionate about History Having Extension English and Maths and doing well in them should be sufficient enough for you to get an ATAR of 98.5.

If you enjoy history, and enjoying thinking about the consequences of history and how history influences life, then the extra work will be no problem. Also, since you are in the A- Range, then give it a try. Lots of the skills you pick up from the course will be useful for when you go into uni.

Indigo_rose

HSC
As what noted in the post above, if you commit to History extension you will gain some invaluable skills in analysis and research that will prepare you for further academic education and also have practical applications in all other humanities and english HSC courses. I think it would be a great subject to have done when you approach politics at university.

In saying this the project alone is involves enormous amount of work, dedication and time as your thoughts and understanding develop. Concepts of historiography can be hard to grasp even for the A students at first, thus be prepared to do a lot of practice essays + background reading for the two essays in the exam. Considering this, and your subject choices i suggest you don't choose it. Your extension maths alone will take up ALOT of your time. Just consider your mental sanity by the end of term 2. :)

Fruits Basket

HSC
Hi!

I think go for it if you're great at English and maths especially and can handle a lot of work.

I mean, I'm doing absolutely awful in both Modern and Ancient, only due to laziness which is definitely not happening in yr 12, and I asked my Modern teacher today who is the head of department + has been a uni lecturer for history if I could do Ext. History, and she, surprisingly, did not tell me no.

Basically she said that it's a lot of hard work + reading (not an issue though since I love reading lol), stressed that even bright students have found it too hard and have dropped it and that it takes over your life, and I would have to be really organized but she then said that ultimately it's my choice and that I'd be doing myself a disservice if I did ext. history. She also pointed out the benefits and what I would be missing out on if I were to not do it.

I was surprised, because she was very outright honest. Not that I thought that she's a liar or anything, but she's really fair. Probably because she thinks that I'll drop it in the first few weeks XD

Point is, because she told me that, I seriously believe that you can do it. Depends though on:

a) Your level of organisation
b) willingness to do the large and hard work
c) Amount of time available to you
d) Passion for the subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)