ext history topic (1 Viewer)

nik

i've decided to do the trojan wars for my topic - focusing on how the story of the war has effected history to the present, even now with the release of the movie...thoughts?

sugared plum

HSC
yeah they like stuff with movies, i think. eg people who do elizabeth as their case study in the exam.

but how you say things is weird, do you mean how the way in whcih Homer wrote the Iliad has influenced the way historical explanations are written?? or how the story remains with us???

it might be a really cool case study, but you have to think about how you want to approach it

nik

more like how the story remains with us...my focus question is still undecided

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
trojan wars would be an excellent topic if your focus is objectivity in history, however, to argue that there is an obvious and felt effect today would be difficult to say the least. that is, to say an such a controversial event has an effect on the modern world is to throw yourself in the deep end.

perhaps looking at objectivity and/or hollywood representation thereof would be a far more fruitful topic.

that's just my thoughts. good luck :)

nik

thanks for your advice, i was actually stuck on a question...funnily enough, just before i read this, i was thinking that i would base it on the hollywood representation. Thanks for clarifying!!!!

nwatts

HSC
It will differ on what school you go to. Usually it's 2500 words. Ask your history teacher.

a8o

HSC
Sounds like a fine topic. Are you going to explore the accuracy of Homer's epic, esp. giving the story of Schliemann's discovery of the site believed to be Troy?

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
a8o said:
Sounds like a fine topic. Are you going to explore the accuracy of Homer's epic, esp. giving the story of Schliemann's discovery of the site believed to be Troy?
Err... Even though this person probably finished their paper 2 years ago, I would personally stay away from the 'Was there a Trojan war?' question.

There is a lot of good stuff about myth, and how Homer shaped it, but I would stay away from historicity debates altogether.

Plebeian

s1mplykat said:
..heh.. even the simple questiOns are worth asking...
Of course they are, but a long-dead thread seemed an odd place to put it, as opposed to making a new thread or just searching for the answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)