Extension 2 subject selection for year 12 (2 Viewers)

Darren001

HSC
N/A
I am doing alright in extension 1 in year 11 i have an average of 80% so far. But a few days ago topic i failed in is circle geometry, this topic lowered my average by alot.
Should i pick extension 2 maths?
I'm not sure if there will be alot of circle geometry in year 12 extension 2 maths.

such_such

HSC
I heard the extension 2 circle geometry questions are VERY hard.

You can do MX2. Practise makes 'perfect' :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Definitely pick up your circle geometry skills. =) There circle geometry questions are not as difficult as you think. If you have a passion for maths I'd say give it a go. You can always drop it. Let not one topic derail your passion.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Circle geometry isn't exactly a topic that can be 'taught' a sense (except the theories of course) because a certain degree of intuition is needed, but it certainly does help to get exposed to learn common things.

For example if you need to prove some angle is equal to another angle, you could do an angle chase (what most students do), or you could prove it INDIRECTLY (a skill that takes time to develop) by proving similarity or congruency of two equivalent triangles etc.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I don't think Ext 2 circle geometry q's are THAT hard... most of them just involve cylic quadrilaterals. Once you see it (the cylic quad) then you can prove the required result quite easily.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't think Ext 2 circle geometry q's are THAT hard... most of them just involve cylic quadrilaterals. Once you see it (the cylic quad) then you can prove the required result quite easily.
The hardest ones that tend to kill students are those involving lengths of intervals

ie: Prove that PQ^2 = AB + CD

Or something along those lines.

kayven

HSC
Dont worry, I actually found Circle Geometry really hard as well when I was in 3U. My class went down to 5 people in 3U because of Circle geometry and other topics, but mainly Circle Geometry. Probably just do more practice questions on Circle Geometry and known the different proofs. Extension 2 Maths has circle geometry also, so you may as well prepare yourself for that.

Give 4u maths a go, in the end you'll be glad you chose it because its worth it and has many applications in university (so i've heard).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)