Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi,

I am in year 11 at the moment and I am doing Extension 1. My teacher has been asking us about whether we are interested in Extension 2, and at first I was hasty in my declination. But now I don't know. I am around the middle to lower end of my extension 1 class, but only through a stuff up in one assesment task. I think I could do it, but as I said I am unsure. Noone in the current Year 12 at my school does extension 2, so some feedback would be great! How do you find it? Would you recommend it? What are you doing? I'm not 100% on what I would actually do yet. It would be written. That's about all I know so far.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I loved EE2, it was so refreshing from the other english curriculums. Here, you could explore as far deep into a philosophy, concept or idea with as much complexity and creativity as you possibly can. None of this brushing lightly onto a concept.

I got E4 for my EE2 majorwork. I got band 5's or E3's for the other English subjects, obviously you can see some sort of difference. Yes you should consider how you deal with EE1 as a reflection on how you would handle EE2, but don't let it discouraged. Is it possible to do EE2 for a little while, then drop it (and still have 10 units) if you're not coping during the first term? I think that would be a good idea.... if you can

If you've always had a passion for writing/video making or for the exploration of concepts/being creative, you will enjoy this subject. Think of some ideas now! What are you most passionate or curious about in society? Do you have a message or idea to convey?

Take a shot at it!

Emph

HSC
Go for it!!!

Although I really enjoy advanced and extension one, in truth I am not all that fantastic at them. Sure the marks are good... but nothing amazing. Unlike maths in which a 4U student should be blitzing 2U and 3U, Extn II English really doesnt matter about that.

Extn II is the best subjectever!!! Ok so it is a hell load of stress if you are like me and inclined that way, but if I wasnt stressed I dont think that I could have pulled off the marks I have so far.

Some people say that it is too much work for a one unit subject, but if you are really passionate about it (and you should be at this level) then it actually doesnt seem like work. To me Extn II is a cathartic release from all other work.

As ur_inner_child said, it is probably best to start off with it as your extra units. Quite a few people ended up dropping after the christmas holidays because they had no ideas what to do or were too busy to do anything.

If you do choose it.... start early! That is my one major piece of advice!

kloudsurfer

HSC
Im in the same boat as michelleyeaman, except im coming first in EE1 (our class isnt that great).

Im reconsidering doing EE2 because it was always somehting I would love to do but I thought it would be too hard and time consuming. But at the moment I really hate Ext 1 maths and I am definetly dropping it, which gives me a free unit...

Porcia

HSC
kloudsurfer! take it up, because you'd be silly if you don't, and you're a smart girl aren't you? Not one of those silly girls? Anwyay, even if you end up not liking it, all you gotta do is "oh i dont wanna do it anymore" and drop it, but give it a shot

J-lee

HSC
i would say go for it for sure- its a way of expressing urself. i dont think ur marks matter that much in ext n adv- because ext2 is heaps different. just make sure u get along with ur teacher well- cos its a bitch having individual lessons with them when they hate u- not speaking from experience

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
yeah im in the same boat as other yr 11ers on here. we have two ext classes and i'm in the top one coming equal 2nd/3rd and our class is REALLY competitive. i'm pretty sure most of the lower class will drop it and a couple from my class are dropping EE1 as well. They're asking about EE2 now and i was pretty sure i wanted to do but now it sounds like so much work. especially as i have my art body of work as well. and i've been reading the young writers book thing - collection of the best EE2 works and they're REALLY REALLY good. am now doubting my creative skill.
but i still wanna do it. oh gawd i sound so confusing lol neway...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
ahen said:
yeah im in the same boat as other yr 11ers on here. we have two ext classes and i'm in the top one coming equal 2nd/3rd and our class is REALLY competitive. i'm pretty sure most of the lower class will drop it and a couple from my class are dropping EE1 as well. They're asking about EE2 now and i was pretty sure i wanted to do but now it sounds like so much work. especially as i have my art body of work as well. and i've been reading the young writers book thing - collection of the best EE2 works and they're REALLY REALLY good. am now doubting my creative skill.
Two majorworks ay? You could probably kill two birds with one stone by using similar concepts. I did that. Got E4 and Band 6 accordingly. Tis possible my friend.

I also did 4 other majorworks (3 unit music) - which I probably wouldn't recommend.

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
yeah really you should take it up.. if its not for you theres always time to drop it.

I looove ext2.. i mean you get to choose what you want to do so i don't know how anyone wouldnt like their topic.

it can be very stressful at times because it can be easy to leave it to the side while you focus on other assessments.. but if you do a little bit every day then you'll b able to do it.

As you were saying you're not sure if you could do it.. believe me anyone can. you have almost a whole year to develop your writing skills and everything so if you do it properly you'll be fine by the end.

at first i was reading the past showcase works and i was like "omg i cant do this" but now ive gotten so much better by just refining my writing and what not and im confident about my work..

you'll also see (well i suppose mainly if you do critical which im doing) that your essay writing ability in other subjects is so much easier because you get to practice it so much and things...

all in all.. its great if you manage it right and cool cuz its such a personal project ... definately give it a go

kloudsurfer

HSC
frankyd said:
yeah really you should take it up.. if its not for you theres always time to drop it.

I looove ext2.. i mean you get to choose what you want to do so i don't know how anyone wouldnt like their topic.

it can be very stressful at times because it can be easy to leave it to the side while you focus on other assessments.. but if you do a little bit every day then you'll b able to do it.

As you were saying you're not sure if you could do it.. believe me anyone can. you have almost a whole year to develop your writing skills and everything so if you do it properly you'll be fine by the end.

at first i was reading the past showcase works and i was like "omg i cant do this" but now ive gotten so much better by just refining my writing and what not and im confident about my work..

you'll also see (well i suppose mainly if you do critical which im doing) that your essay writing ability in other subjects is so much easier because you get to practice it so much and things...

all in all.. its great if you manage it right and cool cuz its such a personal project ... definately give it a go
I hope you are right about my writing skills improving. I used to be really, really good at creative writing and really passionate, but then I stopped and now my writing sucks. I really would love to get it back again.

Fine, Ill do it. I know i want to...

ahen said:
and i've been reading the young writers book thing - collection of the best EE2 works and they're REALLY REALLY good. am now doubting my creative skill.
Ooooh, i would love to read this book. What is it called? Where can I get it? Would my school library have a copy?

HSC
yeah im in yr 11 as well, and am doing ext1, im in the middle-top range, but yeah i got to a selective and stuff so its prti hard. i think i will def be doing ext 2, the freedom it offers, is too good to refuse.

HSC
N/A
Easy...

It's ok to use the same initial concept but you'll have to do something different with it and show evidence of this. There are documented instances where teachers have picked up that a student is trying to palm off material from one MW into another...(in fact my EE2 teacher picked one up a few years ago) you are NOT allowed to do this and will be heavily penalised for it.

BradCube

HSC
Definatley give it a go, especially if you have the extra units and can drop it if need be like others have suggested.

Please be aware that it is a lot of work. I am probably the extreme case since my whole reason for doing my HSC revolved around my X2 piece but I still think that this topic, for the amount of work required, is more than 1 units worth. If you enjoy and have a passion for it you will want to do it though so don't be too put off.

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
It was a free unit for me.

An hour and a half after school is nothing. You do need to have flair though, even for a critical response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)