• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Extension courses for year 12? And what are you dropping? (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
anna - is this ms johannsen? cuz she's only a temporary deputy. go see mr gray or ms ross, they can tell you for sure.

to others - don't fucking worry about scaling, the difference btwn 4u maths and ext hist is meaningless if you don't like the better scaling one

K

katie_tully

Dropping...Chemistry and Maths? Taking up Ext History, Pd/Health/Pe (Prelim and HSC) so..dropping four, taking up five..
Except, I'm not sure whether to get rid of Industrial Technology instead of Chemistry, but Indus Tech is a mad bludge session, and chemistry involves mathetmatic equations and complex thought processes, both of which I lack the ability to sustain..
So that'd be
Ancient History
Ext History
Advanced English
Ext English
Biology
PD/Health/Pe (Prelim)
Pd Health (HSC)
Industrial Tech...

afta???

HSC
does that mean u r doin 2 years work in one year?? (pdhpe)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I love hist (god I can be weird sometimes) and ext hist is meant to be really good....one of my old history teachers said the markers gave a girl 95 even though she only got 85 or something...but you have to do 20% australian hist which is, ah hem, *snore*. Anyone here done/doing ext 2 maths? Is it much harder than ext 1? Ever since we did volumes by integration I'm dying to know how to derive the area of a circle from calculus lol. Any advice about which to take up (hist, ext 2 maths) - I promised my English teacher I'd do Ext 2, and I'm already 11 units up...

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
I'm taking up 4u Maths, Ext Music and Ext French...
And dropping Phy and Eco
Not sure whether that'll be too much work
But since I do so many extensions, if I can't handle it, I could just drop one or two extensions, and I'll still have enough units. (Coz I'm doing 12 units)

spoilt brat

HSC
...?

undefined undefined my choices for yr 12 r chem, physics, 4u eng and 4u maths afta much thought on the 4u eng part... but i said i'd give it a try... oh, and catholic studies but it doesn't count!! :rolleyes:

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
cherryblossom said:
Ever since we did volumes by integration I'm dying to know how to derive the area of a circle from calculus lol.
area????
there is a radiant foruma which is a=1/2*r*(angle in radiants)

that isnt calcus thou
if u mean find volume of a sphere the formula is = pi*(The intergral) of y^2 dx or x^2 dy (depend on if yu are rotating around the x or y axis).
other than that i have no idea wtf u r talkn about

JamiL

HSC
im not dropping anything but will pick up Ext2 maths and Ext1 english so that will leave me with
Ext2 Math
Ext1 Math
English
Ext1 English
Phy
Chem
Bio
SOR1
and that is 14 units but i have completed HSC 2u maths already, and not goin 2 try in sor1(sleep period)
so realy that is 11units but will prob drop ext1 english by the ned of 1st term, jus wanna see how i go

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
^How can you pick up extension english? i thought you had to do it in year 11...

Kulazzi

HSC
fi_babezy said:
^How can you pick up extension english? i thought you had to do it in year 11...

do you have to? I was thinking of picking it up as well.........b/c i regret not choosing for prelim......................I'm gonna talk it over with my teacher and head teacher tomorrow and see what they say. But I always thought u could pick it up? :eek:

afta???

HSC
yes u hav to but under very special circumstances they may allow u...
i think at our school u hav to apply directly yto the principal n show that u are capable of doin it... they assume u need the prelim extension course to support u in yr12
i thinnk that applies for maths but no way english.....

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
no, the rules are you have to have the prelim course behind you
to fulfill the hours, yeah?

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ i picked up ancient hist in term 2 of prelim, missed half the prelim course, but i can go on to the hsc ( even though i have only went to 1/2 of ancient lessons and normally this would count as not enough attendence

there are exceptions to all rules

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
for the original thread question:

i am picking up hist ext and dropping either ext maths or chem.

but at our school we havent got forms or anything to drop or pick up units

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
JamiL said:
area????
there is a radiant foruma which is a=1/2*r*(angle in radiants)

that isnt calcus thou
if u mean find volume of a sphere the formula is = pi*(The intergral) of y^2 dx or x^2 dy (depend on if yu are rotating around the x or y axis).
other than that i have no idea wtf u r talkn about
Integration, I meant integration! Anti-differentiation. *bangs head on wall*
Have you done Ext 2? In Ext 1 remember in the integration topic - the proofs of the volumes of a sphere/cone etc. Apparently only Ext 2-ers get to learn how to find the area of a circle using calculus.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
integration! fukking hell that's the 2nd time I've done that.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
glycerine said:
no, the rules are you have to have the prelim course behind you
to fulfill the hours, yeah?
yes thats right, you cannot pick up ext1 in year 11 unless you apply specifically to the BoS, i was under the impression, due to the course content and hours as glyc has mentioned.

JamiL

HSC
cherryblossom said:
Integration, I meant integration! Anti-differentiation. *bangs head on wall*
Have you done Ext 2? In Ext 1 remember in the integration topic - the proofs of the volumes of a sphere/cone etc. Apparently only Ext 2-ers get to learn how to find the area of a circle using calculus.
no sorry mate, i am still in Yr11 but accell in 2u maths (not accell in 3u thou), that intergration to find the volume of a sphere is basic 2u work.
i bet yu could find the area of a circle if u used y=(-x^2 + r^2)^.5 which is a semi circle and intergrated it to find that area and then timed it by 2.

i think i did it but i have done it rong. i intergrated (16 - x^2)^.5 form 2 to -2 and then times it by 2 and got 27.7units squared but the answer is pi*16 which is approx 50.3

afta???

HSC
JamiL said:
no sorry mate, i am still in Yr11 but accell in 2u maths (not accell in 3u thou), that intergration to find the volume of a sphere is basic 2u work.
i bet yu could find the area of a circle if u used y=(-x^2 + r^2)^.5 which is a semi circle and intergrated it to find that area and then timed it by 2.

i think i did it but i have done it rong. i intergrated (16 - x^2)^.5 form 2 to -2 and then times it by 2 and got 27.7units squared but the answer is pi*16 which is approx 50.3
yo this is too technical....cant understand

but hopefully i will one day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)