Extension Texts (1 Viewer)

Shiloh

HSC
Our Extension class is doing The Real Inspector Hound, The Big Sleep and a novel called Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje. HAs anyone even heard of this book or read it or doin it for extension???

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Heard of it, have read The English Patient, but can't help you past there.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
is this an invitation to list our texts? :p

if it is then im doing the pride and prejudice miniseries, browning's poetry, gaskell's north and south AND if we have time we might squeeze in ibsen's doll's house :)

oh and im familiar with the english patient but not Anil's ghost...sorry

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Shiloh
Our Extension class is doing The Real Inspector Hound, The Big Sleep and a novel called Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje. HAs anyone even heard of this book or read it or doin it for extension???
is that in the book list? surely it is, because you have to use 3 prescribed texts, and talk about 2 of them in your exam. if your teacher is teaching you only 2 prescribed texts she is limiting your ability to talk about things in the exam imo

Shiloh

HSC
Originally posted by iambored
is that in the book list? surely it is, because you have to use 3 prescribed texts, and talk about 2 of them in your exam. if your teacher is teaching you only 2 prescribed texts she is limiting your ability to talk about things in the exam imo
Yes it is one of the books on our book list. Its just I'd never heard of it before, and I wanted to know if anyone else is doing it as their pescribed text?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Yes it is one of the books on our book list. Its just I'd never heard of it before, and I wanted to know if anyone else is doing it as their pescribed text?
good, they must have changed it from last year. last year there was skull beneath the skin, the big sleep, the real inspector hound and snow falling on cedars

edit: they replaced snow!!! i loved that book!

Jennibeans

HSC
we're doing anil's ghost too
can't say its the most exciting book ive ever read though

shinkei

We're doing as prescribed:

The Real Inspector Hound
The Big Sleep
Skull Beneath the Skin

And then as related texts:

Bladerunner (great text for essays about messages embedded in the genre)
Snow Falling on Cedars (which is prescribed anyway!)

persephone

HSC
hey i'm doing the real inspector hound and i have an assessment...what do you think are some insights of crime fiction it tries to bring to light? why is it good at all?:confused:
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

Last edited:

sar-bear86

hey, im doing north and south aswell and struggling to find notes on it..i have not got the most competent teacher in the world lol.
just wondering if you knew of any. ta sarz

felafel

ummm . . . I think you should be fine with north and south!

the values and paradigms and all that other jazz are shouting off the page to you!

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Ibsen's A Doll House (I hate this version though, it's been dumbed down from other translations!), Browning, North and South

my related texts are
A Potrait of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde, and Hard Times by Dickens

marezmac

The new mexican...
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
that is 3 with the big sleep as well....
yep we're supposedly doing anils ghost, depending on time... but hey got rid of my RIH assess today.... YAY

Shiloh

HSC
Its a really convoluted read...at first you wouldnt think Anil's Ghost to be CF.

frazzle

HSC
Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje. HAs anyone even heard of this book or read it or doin it for extension???
i have that book, but i never got around to reading it...

anyway, we're doing:

pride and prejudice
a doll's house
north and south

i'm still in theprocess of choosing supplementaries...

Aramat

I am doing the same texts as you Siloh and I have no idea!
I can't even read Anil's Ghost because i keep falling asleep, I'm so screwed!

snot

ok im getting rrrealy confused im doing the real insoector hound, the big sleep and the skull beneah the skin. but can i change the skull beneath the skin to another text like- the hollow or the lovely bones. or do i have to stick with the skull beneath the skin. and is this enough texts for the HSC :confused: :confused: :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)