Extensions Q? (1 Viewer)

Limey

HSC
Okay. I think I understand some things regarding Extension 1 & 2 Maths and English, except can they please be confirmed? My friend suggested opposing views which didn't sound right at all the other day which was confusing, but I won't bother outlining those.

What I think I understand
1) General/Advanced Maths is 2u Maths.
ESL/Standard/Advanced English is 2u English. Everybody does 2u English but in varying difficulties.
2) 2u Maths + Extension 1 = 3u Maths
2u English + Extension 1 = 3u English
(Both started in year 11 and highest Maths & English you can do for prelim)

What I don't understand
3) 3u Maths + Extension 1 + Extension 2 = 4u Maths
Extension 2 picked up in year 12 with no course in year 11?
3u English + Extension 1 + Extension 2 = 4u English
4) This means they would have, for example, 4 lessons of English, 2 of Extension 1 and 2 of Extension 2 per week/cycle? Same with Maths?
5) So, a person could chose 4u English and 4u Maths and 2u something else, like History, for the HSC and they could have a 10u timetable that consisted of only English, Maths & History?

Confirmations/explanations, please? Thank you for the help.

LordPc

HSC
What I don't understand

yes. you pick up extension 2 maths (or 4 unit maths) when you begin year 12 (unless you accelerate the course)

yes, the same as extension 2 math. you pick up 4u english when you start year 12.

4) This means they would have, for example, 4 lessons of English, 2 of Extension 1 and 2 of Extension 2 per week/cycle? Same with Maths?

a standard 2u subject has 4 lessons per week. and any extension subject has 2 lessons per week. so if you do 4u math/english you should have 8 lessons of math/english per week.

4u english is a little flexible though, because of the nature of the course, so you might have lessons which are simply one on one talks with your teacher, since each person in the class will be doing something unique for thier major work.

5) So, a person could chose 4u English and 4u Maths and 2u something else, like History, for the HSC and they could have a 10u timetable that consisted of only English, Maths & History?

I believe so. i think there is something about the minimum requirement for the hsc is to do 4 difference subjects, but i also think that english extension 2 counts as a totally different subject. so 4u math + 4u english + another 2u subject is fine (check with your director of studies though to be sure ;))

Last edited:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
What I don't understand

yes. you pick up extension 2 maths (or 4 unit maths) when you begin year 12 (unless you accelerate the course)

yes, the same as extension 2 math. you pick up 4u english when you start year 12.

a standard 2u subject has 4 lessons per week. and any extension subject has 2 lessons per week. so if you do 4u math/english you should have 8 lessons of math/english per week.

4u english is a little flexible though, because of the nature of the course, so you might have lessons which are simply one on one talks with your teacher, since each person in the class will be doing something unique for thier major work.

I believe so. i think there is something about the minimum requirement for the hsc is to do 4 difference subjects, but i also think that english extension 2 counts as a totally different subject. so 4u math + 4u english + another 2u subject is fine (check with your director of studies though to be sure ;))
3. three unit maths is the same as extension one. but if you do extension two, you only do ext one and ext two exams in the hsc. depending on your school, you probably won't have to do any 2 unit maths exams.
for english, three unit english is extension one. however, unlike maths, you have to also complete the advanced english course & do exams for it. extension two english doesn't have a hsc exam.
also, by the way, standard english=general maths
advanced english=mathematics [no advanced]

4. what LordPC said is essentially right, except that at some schools, ie my school, you don't actually have lessons for ext two english, you just have an interview with your teacher every now and then.

5. no, you must have four different subjects, therefore if you do both ext twos, you must do twelve units.

hope this clears some stuff up for you =]].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)