...extensive independent investigation. :S (1 Viewer)

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
Just been working on my Reflection Statement, specifically this bit:
Syllabus said:
  • summarises the intent of the work and relationship it has with the extensive independant investigation.
Now what if {purely hypothetically of course ;)} I've done a fair bit of research, but it turned out that most of it wasn't really relevant for what my work turned out to be in the end?

I didn't really do any more research since I started writting, and the direction of my work changed a fair bit from what I was doing before.

If it was just an assesment I'd go right ahead and kind of exaggerate the scope of the bit of research that still is relevant, but they're going to have my journal sitting there too.

Is it alright to say that the research I did changed the direction of my story so much that it wasn't actually relevant anymore?
Or what?

Emph

HSC
this bit sort of wants you to write how your research affected your work; like did you read a really interesting novel and tried to copy the style, or did you read this really amazing fact and your story just grew from there.

you can always make it up! who is going to know other than you?

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That's heaps clearer, because there is a fair bit of stuff that I wasnm't really thinking about as research that influenced my work

Thanks to the infinite extreme max.

HSC
N/A
For an assessment I would probably do the whole "now I read this book and it changed the direction of my MW, whilst I didn't refer to it after that it was still helpful!" but from past and purely personal experience, you are REALLY not going to have the time/space to say that in your MW :/ I can't remember exactly where I said it but damn, book titles (and titles of anything for that matter) are your number one word eaters. They will take up space like you have no idea :/

Emph said:
or did you read this really amazing fact and your story just grew from there.
Interesting facts are GREAT and still count as research! (particularly in the field of concept analysis/development) :D However, unsourced ones are more or less useless :(

Quite a lot of EE2 students (Short Story people in particular) will find themselves "research-less" around this time but these also tend to be people who have forgotten that they have been "influenced" by sources outside of their HSC year. For example, my personal writing style (punchy, humerous and decidedly pulp fiction) is influenced by the type of things I like to read (strangely enough these also happen to be punchy, humerous and decidedly pulp fiction). So fine. I'll borrow those books out of the library before EE2 handin date and write about them in my journal and how they have consciously or unconsciously affected my MW. Then I will consider writing about them and their influence in my RS. Savvy? ;)

You still have time before you have to hand it in, orange blob :) Make use of that time and don't underestimate the more informal research you've done prior to 2006! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)