external cd burner % usb help (1 Viewer)

rude

hi ppl,

i want to get cheap external CD burner but i dont have USB port. is it possible to find external burner that doesnt require usb port? if no, is it possible to put usb port inside the tower?

i hope i make sense

thank you for help and god bless

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by rude
hi ppl,

i want to get cheap external CD burner but i dont have USB port. is it possible to find external burner that doesnt require usb port? if no, is it possible to put usb port inside the tower?

i hope i make sense

Yes you can purchase a USB Bracket, it's quite cheap... go to a local computer store and ask for a PCI USB Card.

fatmuscle

HSC
make sure it is USB 2.0

you don't want to be stuck with 1.1

before you go out and get one, may i ask the specs for ur PC?

it may be the difference between getting a card with 2 or 4 ports

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
hi ppl,

i hope i make sense

If you have a FireWire port (or you could buy one) they're A LOT faster than USB :) Maybe you could get one of the ones with multi inputs... USB and FireWire... FireWire is older than USB, but its still better, and generally more compatible with EVERYTHING :D

rude

holy crap dudes, you know heaps. I dont know much about computers but at the back of my tower the ports look like squares with lots of little holes.

Maybe i can get burner without getting usb port? or these days usb is essential part of computer?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Maybe i can get burner without getting usb port? or these days usb is essential part of computer?
Most computers manufactured since about 2 years ago had USB ports. USB 2.0 is fairly recent.

If your computer does not have a USB port, you can buy expansion cards with USB/Firewire ports. But if your computer is so old that it doesn't have any USB ports, you shouldn't really try and run a USB CD burner with it - you could be straining the computer abit to run it.

This is a little pic straight from the USB organisation, look for something in the back that this can plug into (small flat rectangular socket).

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Protector
If you have a FireWire port (or you could buy one) they're A LOT faster than USB :) Maybe you could get one of the ones with multi inputs... USB and FireWire... FireWire is older than USB, but its still better, and generally more compatible with EVERYTHING :D

I'm afraid that's not the case USB 2.0 is faster than Firewire now.

fatmuscle

HSC
USB 1.1 = 1.5Mbps
FireWire = 400Mbps
USB 2.0 = 480Mbps

something like that

Yvan Zivkovic

HSC
N/A
USB 1.1 = 1.5Mbps OR 12Mbps (Depending what you're using)
Firewire = 400Mbps
USB 2.0 = 480Mbps
Firewire 800 = 800Mbps

Get yourself a combo external drive, it would basically be a case that you put an internal drive in, it can be USB 2.0 only, Firewire only, but the best one to get is the USB 2.0 and Firewire Case.

fatmuscle

HSC
not many applications/peripherals (unless they're made for MACINTOSH) use firewire

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle
not many applications/peripherals (unless they're made for MACINTOSH) use firewire
yeah mainly DV Cams, etc, like Sony's iLink, uses firewire. But since the release of USB 2.0, i think slower Firewire, is soon to be outdated.

Yvan Zivkovic

HSC
N/A
Firewire is not at all dead, in fact, quite a few PCs have FireWire built into the moutherboard. Firewire won't be dead for a while, as Firewire 800 has not even taken over yet, not many devices support Firewire 800 at the moment either, as it is still a new to the market.

Devices that use Firewire are things like:

iPods
External Hard Drives and Optical Drives
Digital Camera's
FireWire Networks (It is possible)
A few Scanners

Things like these, firewire is perfect for, and as time passes, it will roll onto having Firewire 800, which is twice as fast as normal Firewire.

And saying Firewire is dead is like saying USB 1.1 is dead, seeing how many devices still support USB 1.1.

fatmuscle

HSC
well, it all seems pretty stupid to have USB and FireWire.

why not just stick to one and make it 'good'

thought firewire networks was only possible for WinXP?
Originally posted by Yvan Zivkovic
And saying Firewire is dead is like saying USB 1.1 is dead, seeing how many devices still support USB 1.1.
backwards compatibility is very important. If you dind't have it, a lot of people will be turned away from it.

If USB2 wasn't backward compatible and this new FireWire is, USB2 will easily lose out.

Yvan Zivkovic

HSC
N/A
Firewire and Firewire 800 are backwards compatible, with the correct cord.

As for saying its stupid to have both, lets see you try plugging in a DV-camera when they have a USB 1.1 port and a Firewire 400 port, If you even could import video through USB 1.1, it would be poor quality, choppy and wouldn't even look the same as it would have on your camera, thats why a lot of cameras use Firewire for transferring.

If you have both USB and Firewire, why not use both? Saves the fact that you don't have to use all your USB port or all your Firewire ports.

As for Firewire networking, I would assume a lot of people would be using Windows XP, unless your computer is quite old. However, if you are using a Mac, I am sure a FireWire network is possible from using 10.1.x or higher.

Plus, on a Mac, you can connect one Mac to another via Firewire and use one as 'Firewire Disk Mode', which basically allows you to use one Mac as an external hard drive, for back up or large data file transfer, faster then using standard Ethernet or using USB 1.1, if that would even work correctly.

I have heard a lot of people say that Firewire is much more of a stable connection the USB, because its more consistent, but I can't be certain about that.

fatmuscle

HSC
When i said it was stupid, I meant why do people make 2 types of connections instead of concentrating on 1 good type of connection. We could now be having USB speeds of 800mbps. wouldn't that be nice?
I was not saying it was stupid having both.

It's pretty obvious you would use FireWire over USB1.1. I am not that much of an idiot.

And you can't assume people use WinXP. A lot of businesses still prefer to use Win2k. XP is still considered fairly new and it cost a lot of money to upgrade. Not just upgrading the OS, but EVERYTHING. This includes the various software that they and their clients use, as well as pages and pages of documentation.

And I never mentioned anything about the FireWires not being backward compatible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)