External Days.. Compulsory? (1 Viewer)

Mr_Shrimp

HSC
I just have a quick question for anyone who knows a little bit about external requirements.

I'm studing externally for the first time this semester and unfortunately missed one of my on-campus days last weekend. The external day is said to be compulsory in the unit guide, but what is the consequence for missing one? Surely it can't mean an automatic fail for non-attendance?

Have any of you missed an external day before without a decent reason? Should I talk to my convenor?

Thanks.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Ooh, this isn't good. At least its not when you've missed one with the law dept. On-Campus days are compulsory because its the only face-to-face teaching time you get, and so you have to attend... unless you have a doctors certificate etc.

If you missed it for no good reason, then they do have the option to fail you. Same way that they could fail you if you missed too many tutes. I've heard of it happening to external LLB students in the past. I would contact your course convenor and hope that they accept your excuse for not going.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I would contact the co-ordinator right way. From all the units I have done internally it has been mentioned that it is an automatic fail for externals who do not attend the on-campus sessions. Hopefully you can talk it out with the co-ordinator...good luck!

Peartie

HSC
did u just not bother going or was it because u forgot? or an actual excuse?:)

But ive had a friend fail 2 units because she completley forgot about the on campus day - of course for one of them it was the ONLY one and for the other they were harsh... but yea...see the law dept person straight away

Mr_Shrimp

HSC
i slept in. it started at 9.30 and i woke up at about that time. was only a 3 hour day so it would have been almost over by the time i got there. it's not the only day for the unit though and its a humanities unit. just fingers crossed i guess..

iwannarock

HSC
for my two legal ethics OCS i just signed on at the beginning of the day then missed out on the majority of them.

yet its the best i've ever done in a law subject.

i guess in that sense they aren't compulsory? guess you still have to be there in some form.

:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)