External influences on UAI and HSC Results (1 Viewer)

brad616

HSC
Does any one know any one or experienced themselves external factors that may have severely influenced your or anothers HSC result and overall UAI. They say that there are all sorts of "msadventure" things but often this is not the case as the:shouting: may involve 1 or more people and may be out of the persons control. These student in the state may be bright and extremely hard working, however, due to unfortunate circumstances may never ever achieve their full potential at school and may land up in the low 80s when really they deserve to be in the 90s. Examples include:
Family conflict: i.e parents getting divorce
Financial matters: i.e being short of money
Student conflict: Experiencing bullying
Weak co-hort: Having a bad co-hort
Teacher conflict: Having issues with teachers and being expelled/suspended
in HSC year before exams

The list just goes on....

Thank you for your time. :shouting::shoot:

Niek

HSC
Yeah, I know a few people who have had their mark affected by death in the family and things like that. But they applied for extra marks and still did reasonably well and got into the courses they wanted..

brad616

HSC
Yeah, I know a few people who have had their mark affected by death in the family and things like that. But they applied for extra marks and still did reasonably well and got into the courses they wanted..
Thats true applying for extra marks is definately a good idea in those circumstances. I know some one who every one thought was going to do extremely. He landed up with low 80s but every one thought he was going to get 90+ he was really a top student. But if you apply for extra marks and get into your course then that's not a problem. :pirate:

PS does any one else know about others experiencing this?

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
It is unfortunate that many HSC students let many variables affect their performance.
Even more so, extra points are rewarded for unreasonable circumstances.
This is the equivalent of legitimate cheating especially when the reasons or causes are exaggerated or falsified.

Family conflict: i.e parents getting divorce
Should not affect your HSC.

Financial matters: i.e being short of money
Should not affect your HSC.
Costs required are insignificant.
Tutoring isn't necessary.

Student conflict: Experiencing bullying
Must be dealt with swiftly either with the intervention of staff or another way.

Weak co-hort: Having a bad co-hort
Hilarious and ludicrous at the same time.
This is usually inevitable.
Often it is your fault for picking such subjects that result in this.
This happens in the HSC often.
Does not qualify for extra UAI points, if it did, there would be absolute chaos.

Teacher conflict: Having issues with teachers and being expelled/suspended
Amusing but not as much as the previous point.
My previous mathematics teacher suffered from an illness and was replaced by another one and we adapted to her steadily.
So can you.
Otherwise self-study is an option to be considered especially when you are aiming for university.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Location should not affect your results either.
Unless your school's exam venue is not in the school grounds itself.
Going to a rural school affects your results on the basis of two things:

1. The education level is usually depressed. Less advanced teachers (although I think my teachers are awesome).

2. The kids don't usually want to learn as much as the city kids.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Going to a rural school affects your results on the basis of two things:

1. The education level is usually depressed. Less advanced teachers (although I think my teachers are awesome).

How does that effect you? Stereotyping rural level teachers/kids?
There's always the option of self study too.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
My Gran died, and that fucked me up for over a month. However, I didn't want to cheapen her memory by asking for consideration. It's not that I disrespect those who do ask for consideration; I just didn't feel comfortable with it.

My parent have been divorced for a long time, but the half-week half-week arrangement I've got going is still pretty disruptive. Can't be buggered to ask for consideration though, and really, I should be used to it by now. Meh.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I attend a rural school thus I have the right to do so. If you just took a glance at statistics, there is a massive gap in the difference between HSC marks of Rural and Urban kids. The city guys are much more successful because of the work environment and generally better teaching standards (as I said earlier, I think my teachers are great and I wouldn't trade them for any other).

Self study? That's what everyone does anyway... I don't go to a tutor :S besides, I wouldn't be able to fork out the cash for one each week.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Self-study.
Prepare for uni and/or true independence.

That is their problem.

My Gran died, and that fucked me up for over a month. However, I didn't want to cheapen her memory by asking for consideration. It's not that I disrespect those who do ask for consideration; I just didn't feel comfortable with it.

My parent have been divorced for a long time, but the half-week half-week arrangement I've got going is still pretty disruptive. Can't be buggered to ask for consideration though, and really, I should be used to it by now. Meh.
In my opinion it was worth skipping school often.
Compare 4 terms of 10 weeks in school to 2 semesters of 12 weeks in UNSW.

I attend a rural school thus I have the right to do so. If you just took a glance at statistics, there is a massive gap in the difference between HSC marks of Rural and Urban kids. The city guys are much more successful because of the work environment and generally better teaching standards (as I said earlier, I think my teachers are great and I wouldn't trade them for any other).

Self study? That's what everyone does anyway... I don't go to a tutor :S besides, I wouldn't be able to fork out the cash for one each week.
There is NO need for tutoring.
I performed better than those who did tutoring.
Tutoring is absolutely pointless.
It's a golden mask for your own incompetence.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
WHAT ONLY 12 weeks for a semester? I was under the impression they were 15-18 weeks at least. 12 weeks is fucking awesome. 16 less weeks of study. That's more holidays that work time. But then again, the amount of work you get in Uni probably doubles HSC, so it probably evens out.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
WHAT ONLY 12 weeks for a semester? I was under the impression they were 15-18 weeks at least. 12 weeks is fucking awesome. 16 less weeks of study. That's more holidays that work time. But then again, the amount of work you get in Uni probably doubles HSC, so it probably evens out.
lol, more like quadruples.

brad616

HSC
lol it does.
once you get into university you would take back your complaints about hsc.
True, true. I just wanted to know other peoples persepctives on this matter and see what other people thought.

Please keep these posts coming.

Thank you for your time.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Location should not affect your results either.
Unless your school's exam venue is not in the school grounds itself.
Ah pardon me man, I was just asking because I live there too, not linking it to his situation. Sorry if that was unclear

shell.q

HSC
i have actually made the step before it got to far
i am doing my hsc over two years through problems i had that were unabling my hsc mark to be the best i could obtain.
death and also hospitilisation i had already had three assessment tasks averaged for me and i felt horrible i dropped the two subjects it included and doing them next yr, i couldnt ever go for student access scheme idk why exactly im just one of those people who have to feel they deserve the spot they have

shell.q

HSC
and for that guy/girl that said those things shouldnt effect the hsc some of them do.
Rents divorcing, going to caught selling moving going from one place to another shiz like that, of cause they could hold it off for a yr but sometimes it isnt tht easy, some people it wont effect others it will.
not being able to fund properly, well personally have greater money mean better services avaliable to them, some ppl cant afford computers or internet need to use the schools, people go to private schools for better education they cost me things like that.
and location thts been said

brad616

HSC
and for that guy/girl that said those things shouldnt effect the hsc some of them do.
Rents divorcing, going to caught selling moving going from one place to another shiz like that, of cause they could hold it off for a yr but sometimes it isnt tht easy, some people it wont effect others it will.
not being able to fund properly, well personally have greater money mean better services avaliable to them, some ppl cant afford computers or internet need to use the schools, people go to private schools for better education they cost me things like that.
and location thts been said
could not agree more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)