Externals vs Internals [State Ranking] (General Maths) (1 Viewer)

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
Hey all, hope your day is going well.

Quick question, if a student is coming first in General Maths in a ~140 ranked school, what marks would they need to get a state ranking?

Also, say if my marks are averaging around 95% internally, i'm sure there's kids in Ruse getting about the same marks, but if we both get 100 externally, do they get the state ranking instead? Also, are state ranking external only, or both? (If i'm last internally but get 100 in my externals, do I get a state ranking?)

I'm probs blurred somewhere, clarification would be appreciated! <3

D94

HSC
N/A
Luckily for you, James Ruse doesn't have General Maths.

The published state ranks are determined by your final HSC mark (average of exam + assessment) only.

It's a rank, you can't possibly work out you will need for this year.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
You pretty much have to get 100 in general to get a staterank, 100 in both externals and internals (so stay rank 1). You might scrape a 19th or 20th or something with a 99 though.

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
Luckily for you, James Ruse doesn't have General Maths.

The published state ranks are determined by your final HSC mark (average of exam + assessment) only.
Assessment as in school assessments? Please say no.

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
You pretty much have to get 100 in general to get a staterank, 100 in both externals and internals (so stay rank 1). You might scrape a 19th or 20th or something with a 99 though.
Umm what if I don't get 100 in my internals but maintain rank 1?

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
Oh thanks for your reply, so.. moderation is the period after trials where students help each other out to push the school ranking up? So to have a shot at getting a state rank, i'm gonna have to help the other students around my rank after trials so our moderated mark (assessment) is increased?

Also, what about if a faculty marks the cohort extremely hard, but there's so much competition that some students are still getting amazing marks? Is this a good or bad thing? (When you're in the bottom 2/3 of the cohort).

D94

HSC
N/A
Oh thanks for your reply, so.. moderation is the period after trials where students help each other out to push the school ranking up? So to have a shot at getting a state rank, i'm gonna have to help the other students around my rank after trials so our moderated mark (assessment) is increased?

Also, what about if a faculty marks the cohort extremely hard, but there's so much competition that some students are still getting amazing marks? Is this a good or bad thing? (When you're in the bottom 2/3 of the cohort).
I can clearly tell you didn't even bother reading the link...

Moderation is a process where your school marks are adjusted such that your school assessments/assignments etc. can be fairly compared with other schools, such as James Ruse. The BOSTES performs this moderation process using a control assessment - an assessment that all students in the state have completed - which is obviously the HSC exam.

For the student who came first in school, their school mark, i.e. assessment mark, is adjusted so that it equals the highest exam mark of any student in the grade. The converse happens for the student who came last in school. For all other ranks in between, the school marks are adjusted so they reflect the relative gaps between each rank. That means if your school marks were close to first, then your adjusted mark will also be close to first. Clearly this process is performed after you have sat your HSC exam.

Ideally, a school where all marks are as high as possible and as close as possible would yield the best outcome for the entire cohort. But for first ranked, since their assessment mark is dictated by the highest exam mark, they have the best opportunity to get the highest possible mark in the state.

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
I completely missed it. I scanned straight to the image right after I saw 'moderation:'

I'm sorry I'll read it now.

SudhiTheBoat

HSC

Moderation is a process where your school marks are adjusted such that your school assessments/assignments etc. can be fairly compared with other schools, such as James Ruse. The BOSTES performs this moderation process using a control assessment - an assessment that all students in the state have completed - which is obviously the HSC exam.

For the student who came first in school, their school mark, i.e. assessment mark, is adjusted so that it equals the highest exam mark of any student in the grade. The converse happens for the student who came last in school. For all other ranks in between, the school marks are adjusted so they reflect the relative gaps between each rank. That means if your school marks were close to first, then your adjusted mark will also be close to first. Clearly this process is performed after you have sat your HSC exam.

Ideally, a school where all marks are as high as possible and as close as possible would yield the best outcome for the entire cohort. But for first ranked, since their assessment mark is dictated by the highest exam mark, they have the best opportunity to get the highest possible mark in the state.
Makes sense now! Thank you so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)