EXTRA ATAR Points (1 Viewer)

crazy_paki123

HSC
u can get bonus points for playing professional sports, being the army and doing well in the hsc subjects that are in your course at uni

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Just want to ask, When can you apply for extra atar points? Can you apply at year 11 and if not when and how do you know if the university accepts your application?

Gigacube

HSC

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also, for the record, trying to find bogus reasons to get extra ATAR points is shit. If you honestly had a legitimate reason, you'd have known about this already.

As you obviously know, I have limited patience for people trying to cheat the system. The system is in place for equity for people who suffer hardship and disadvantage for legitimate reasons. It's not there so people can bullshit their way into uni courses.

SunnyScience

HSC
Also, for the record, trying to find bogus reasons to get extra ATAR points is shit. If you honestly had a legitimate reason, you'd have known about this already.

As you obviously know, I have limited patience for people trying to cheat the system. The system is in place for equity for people who suffer hardship and disadvantage for legitimate reasons. It's not there so people can bullshit their way into uni courses.
Amen to this.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

My friend would take a different view. He applied for special provisions for the HSC exams with the mantra: "If they award it to me, and I don't deserve it - then... their fault for awarding it to me".

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
My friend would take a different view. He applied for special provisions for the HSC exams with the mantra: "If they award it to me, and I don't deserve it - then... their fault for awarding it to me".
Your friend's an expletive I won't say. All I will say is that it rhyme with trucking tanker. :p Hope he isn't on BoS. :p

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Your friend's an expletive I won't say. All I will say is that it rhyme with trucking tanker. :p Hope he isn't on BoS. :p
Nah, he's not on BoS.

But we let him do his thing - we didn't complain, I think he did have a legit reason for applying... and umm, while it was a bit of a laugh for all of us to see him be able to walk out of the trials for a 15 minute or so break every hour - it got a bit real for all of us when he actually had a breakdown of some sort during the exam and he didn't finish. I think it was during an actual HSC exam.

My friends met up after the exam to discuss, but two of them noticeably were missing, and uhh... we found him elsewhere with his girlfriend (the two missing) who was consoling him, and we heard the news and we all gave our support and care. But the important thing is he got into the course he wanted, so it all ended well with him.

So while the thought process in applying wasn't... super saint-like, in the end, he did end up needing it - I believe.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, so it all ended out fairly legitimately. As I said, I've no issue with people getting them for legitimate reasons. Of course, people can and will cheat (damn them), but of course, it becomes much more difficult to cheat later on in life.

Northey7

HSC
ummm well i will be applying for bonus point in athletics (making nationals this year and hopeful next) and for state dance which ultimately carries a few hopefully, all depends on the university of course. Hopefully sydney will give me some for athletics :))

Aidejay

HSC
What's the maximum amount of bonus points you can get? Is it 5?

Usually EAS applies to everything except for med right?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also, as a blanket statement (ie, not targeted at anyone here), you should be doing state/national sport because you're passionate about it, and thoroughly enjoy it or whatever - not because it gives you an extra 2 ATAR points.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, as a blanket statement (ie, not targeted at anyone here), you should be doing state/national sport because you're passionate about it, and thoroughly enjoy it or whatever - not because it gives you an extra 2 ATAR points.
In all honesty though, people who can compete at that level would be assumed to enjoy it though.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i don't think anyone really does it *just* for the atar points tbh

eric sparkles

HSC
i heard bonus atar points don't apply for all courses, reason being the courses requiring relatively high atars to enter have enough demand to fulfill their course places and thus eliminating consideration of disadvantaged applicants? i'm not entirely sure of this approach though.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
i heard bonus atar points don't apply for all courses, reason being the courses requiring relatively high atars to enter have enough demand to fulfill their course places and thus eliminating consideration of disadvantaged applicants? i'm not entirely sure of this approach though.
This is true.

But I think a distinction needs to be made between 'bonus points' and EAS. Not all courses accept 'bonus points'. Most will accept EAS though (to be honest, I think ALL will accept EAS, but I'm not 100% here).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Differs between universities but that indeed tends to be common.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)