Extra-syllabus kanji useful? (1 Viewer)

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Hey all!
Just writing some flashcards today for the beginner's prescribed kanji (100 or so) and wondering- how much of an impression do you make correctly using more advanced kanji in the writing sections? I'm learning more mainly to save on space (and I'm proficient with the syllabus kanji) e.g. 'kouen' (park) can be written in 2 squares of kanji rather than 4 of hiragana.

Do they award extra marks or anything? I doubt they do but would like your opinions/knowledge =)

P

pLuvia

They don't really like it when students use non-kanji for words which are in the syllabus that have a kanji for you to know. For example you write "watashi" in hiragana instead of kanji, because you learn watashi kanji and if you don't use the kanji they may not necessarily take marks off for one or two of these, but possibly if you just use hiragana throughout a sakubun with no kanji at all.

If you know beyond syllabus kanji, use it but if you use it wrong then they may think you just copied it off the dictionary (assuming they still allow you to use dictionaries in HSC exams) without actually learning the kanji.

Writing your sakubun with more kanji will be favoured upon and if your writing is actually good and makes sense you may get more marks

Xunlyn

Flippant Pancakes
HSC
You dont get any extra marks for using kanji... you're allowed a dictionary after all. But it saves space to use one kanji rather than using three or so hiragana to do the same thing ^_~ And it looks good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)