Extracurricular activities needed for Medicine entry (1 Viewer)

King George

HSC
Hi,

What kind of extracurricular activities are wanted other than volunteering for medicine?

Also is there a certain amount of hours needed for volunteering to please people in the interviews?

I'm wanting to go into medicine and although academics are critical, I also know extracurricular activities are important as well.
Anyone have any tips?

It will be much appreciated.

A1P

HSC
What kind of extracurricular activities are wanted
The unis generally want to see you are multi-dimensional not just a high academic person, so anything outside of schoolwork should help.

If you have not heard of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award program try to enrol in one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Duke_of_Edinburgh's_Award

"With assistance from adult Leaders, participants select and set objectives in each of the following areas:
Volunteering: undertaking service to individuals or the community.
Physical: improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
Skills: developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
Expedition: planning, training for and completion of an adventurous journey ..."

iStudent

HSC
Don't quantify your volunteering in terms of hours but in terms of what you got out of it (the experiences you had/what you learnt/what skills you developed) because that's what you'll be talking about in the interview.

I've been to most of the interviews and I didn't get asked how long I did volunteering except for UNSW.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the UNSW Medicine application form is quite comprehensive and the areas where they ask you to elaborate on, are possible areas they would you to have experience in.

They enjoyed asking me about leadership and teamwork in my interview, so possibly having experiences in those areas would be useful?

Interestingly, I was also asked extensively about my support network and coping mechanisms at UNSW.

For the rest of the universities, they didn't ask specifically those questions ^. However, during the MMI stations, they would occasionally pop in a question or two about teamwork, leadership, communication etc and you draw on experiences to answer that.

King George

HSC
Thank you guys! I'm currently in year 11 and wanting to go into Medicine at UNSW and this information is much appreciated!

Medman

HSC
Anything and everything. Find your interests and passions. There is absolutely no point doing something you don't like and hating life for it.

redjnr

HSC
What kind of extracurricular activities are wanted other than volunteering for medicine?
At UNSW I thought they were very interested in you as an individual and your story. So I don't think there is are "good" extracurriculars, as long as you can make it interesting by talking about how it has affected you.
At UoN and UWS the MMIs dont have as much focus on that, I found extracurriculars were more for supporting what you say. e.g. as Rena said, if they ask about teamwork you can talk about an extracurricular activity that needed teamwork

Also is there a certain amount of hours needed for volunteering to please people in the interviews?
No, but more impactful volunteering is better. Having said that there are many other things they are looking for. I reckon if you can communicate well you can get through with very little extracurriculars.

I'm wanting to go into medicine and although academics are critical, I also know extracurricular activities are important as well.
Anyone have any tips?
Get involved in things that interest you. IMO its better to have a few long term and strong extracurriculars than many random ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)