• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Extreme help with BOW (1 Viewer)

Nullachick

HSC
N/A
im in so much shit its already the end on Jan and i havnt started my PIP or me BOW im gonna die... i have no ideas if anyone can help me please do!! i am inspired by Dali and Willam Kendridge im inlove with dalis paintings and drawings because they are just so jam packed with ideas and fantisy and i love kentdriges works cause they are dream like but still have enough in them tostill be nonfiction he has such ways of tell about his life and the ways that were and still are in south africa.
i hate this i think of a thousand thanks in my head but can not put them onto paper... i can draw, paint, construct just about anything but have no clue how to do my BOW and im running outof time...
help

phatic

HSC
Ah, Dali... I've got a print of The Persistence of Memory above my bed.

Why not read up on the surrealists, say perhaps Breton's manifesto, or some lengthy books on Dali, and experiment with automatism?

Prying Pandora

HSC
Nullachick said:
think of a thousand thanks in my head but can not put them onto paper...
I know what you mean- I haven't begun writing in the VAPD etc, all I have are half a dozen A4's of annotated scribbles- it's something I suppose...

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
calm down, you have heaps of time. You can't think of good ideas when you are in a panic :)

The most important thing is to have ideas in your VAPD. They don't have to all stick together, you don't need to have a draft of an artwork which you plan to make across the year, its too early for that...just have ideas.

Spend a day looking up the artworks of Dali and other artists that inspire you. Stick copies of the artworks into your VAPD. Write why you like it etc. Have ideas and put them in. it DOES NOT mean that these things will even have the slightest of relevance to your final work. Your VAPD should just show how your ideas have evolved. When i did art, for the first half of the year i was spending my time on things that i ended up throwing out (an immersed broken computer in a concrete frame, hehe, it didn't turn out as expected), and most of my vapd had that crap in it, which i didnt even use. Have an idea of what medium you are good at. If you are great in one thing (i.e. painting) then do that. But if your strength is with ideas and not in a particular medium, then don't limit yourself to one medium. I combined digital works with construction. Nullanick, why not combine construction and painting? make a collection of things maybe?

Most importantly, the best works are often quite simple (well not too simple, but they aren't over-complicated) in design, the focus is the idea. Base your work on a theme (i.e. internet), think of things that are relevant to it (I'd like to see someone explore internet talk: lol, lmao, brb, etc). And just make things with that theme around it. Make a collection of things and near the end of the year, the coherence and selective bit comes in (what bits should you include, what should you not include). its far better to have 100's of works which you can discriminate from and pick about 10 for your final collection than having too few.

For construction, its a good idea to go to the hardware house. just seeing pieces of wood and metal might give you some ideas (but they are expensive, so think before you buy). CUBES always work :) i got someone to cut cubes of wood for me and i stuck digital pictures on it and stuck it in a winerack. Compared to my failed concrete computer thing (which took 2 terms), it was simple and much more effective (took about a week, plus the digital pics which i had been making for several years).

This is the begining of the year. experiment with ideas, make things, spend a day making something, and research artists. Let worry motivate you but not consume you :D

Nullachick

HSC
N/A
i just don wanna leave it to the last minute cause im never at school im always traveling and im that far behind in everything elce i feel like shooting myself to make everything all better...

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
May I suggest, you get started on it when you have an idea that is plausible, even if you're not in love with the idea...just start it.

I was in love with my idea, hated it by the end and thought it didn't make sense, then got a 95 in the HSC. I watched so many ppl sit around and play with ideas...then not go well.

The longer you delay...the worse you'll get stressed. Just don't do a hack job...cause markers can tell...sometimes.

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
A girl at my school did her whole entire BOW within a week before the due date. She actually did really well and made it into artexpress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)